JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Possible explanations:
  1. Liberals on ODFW staff, with a vegan writing some of the text.
  2. A staff inside joke, complete with betting pool for how many write in to say they tried and what a horrible suggestion it was.

The big issue with eating coyote is biomagnification. Thats basically... the higher up the food chain the more concentration of toxins. This might have something to do with historically mans history of domesticating prey species like cattle and other animals for food, but probably cause they are easiest to catch is more accurate... it does make me wonder though, its not like humans dont have a dark history gunning down wolves and yotes. Bear and cougar are popular apex predator cuisine too.
In a way, it would help balance out the prey/predator ratios when game is scarce. From an ethical standpoint, Id encourage it... except I dont think I could eat dog myself im too attached to dogs for companionship heck Id have a coyote for a pet if I could.

These guys say it taste like duck...

I've consumed near 100 different species of animal in my life. From your basic domesticates, to wild game, yote is on that list. Tastes fine if you pressure cook, or crock pot it. Works great in tandoori, or stew. Found that if you marinate or do a brine bath you'll remove some of the gamey flavour and texture. Sounds like you all need to brush up on your culinary skills, put the pew pew down and grab an apron!

I've consumed near 100 different species of animal in my life. From your basic domesticates, to wild game, yote is on that list. Tastes fine if you pressure cook, or crock pot it. Works great in tandoori, or stew. Found that if you marinate or do a brine bath you'll remove some of the gamey flavour and texture. Sounds like you all need to brush up on your culinary skills, put the pew pew down and grab an apron!

I respect anyone who eats it, but personally, if food needs to go through three levels of processing and 8 hours in the pot with a pound of spice -- I'll eat something else. Unless I'm starving. I'm not so fussy to starve to death.

I'd eat it in a pinch, but it's probably on an even footing with possum.

Ever since I saw a trail cam video of a possum eating mountain lion turds, the thought of eating that low on the food chain has lost its appeal.

I know that there are peole who eat cougar (the large cat, I know how you are Stomper) and really enjoy cougar but coyote? Won't ever be on my menu. Pigeon are dirty city animals but not horrible in rural areas and with the one I tried they aren't too bad but as far as I can tell there is no such thing as a semi-clean coyote.

While doing some digging around on the ODFW website I stumbled on this in the 'didn't draw a tag?' category:

I have shot many large game animals, eaten squirrel, rabbits etc. but have NEVER considered eating coyote nor can I understand the ODFW suggesting eating them as well.

Those I have shot and skinned smelled terrible, had a lot of bugs on them and I would never consider eating one unless I were in a complete SHTF situation and living in the woods.

Your thoughts??

If you bite. They can sell more tags.

Im curious about this, what is it about coyotes that make them dirty? as far as I know they eat mostly squirrels, berries and deer.
They are very opportunistic animals. They eat most everything they find including carrion in various stages of sun drying and the occasional pile of feces. They are also, as mentioned in prior comments, high up predators, so if there is any disease or other nasty in/on an animal they eat then there is a high chance they have it. And heck, even birds take baths, I have yet to see a coyote take one other than a dirt bath and knowing the crap (literally) they go and roll through, I'll pass.

So what I hear you saying is there is less work involved to make it tasty then preparing escargot. Very informative. I think you and @Cogs are going to be in charge of the entree at a future cleanup event. Surprise us!

I've eaten Mt Lion and it was pretty good
Nothing would make me feel more accomplished as a gift giver than to have taken a cougar, delivered it to The Meating Place to be processed and then handing out bundles of cougar pepperoni sticks at Christmas. What I tried was as good as a Carleton pork medailan.

Same here, except for starlings, and rats. ;)
Remember Euell Gibbons? He was my inspiration as a young teen. I tried to eat (at least once) anything I shot. It took me a while to warm up to the idea of frog legs but once i did, oh wow! That is STILL one of my absolute favorites with butter and garlic. Learned real quick to cover the frying pan though:D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads