JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not that desperate. Please give my portion of coyote to someone who is!
I feel like once they're skinned, the other coyotes, and varmints will appreciate the free meal I left them. And maybe they'll eat coyote instead of deer for a couple nights?

Cougar and bear as well....
Yup, and I have no desire to eat a bear unless it's been chowing down on summer berries and I will pass on cougar. Don't know enough about 'em to figure out when they aren't eating carrion. I would imagine sometime around spring when there are lots of fawns about.

Yup, and I have no desire to eat a bear unless it's been chowing down on summer berries and I will pass on cougar. Don't know enough about 'em to figure out when they aren't eating carrion. I would imagine sometime around spring when there are lots of fawns about.

It smells funny when you're browning it in the frying pan. But it's tasty in a stir-fry or in stew. There's no fat, and the meat that I had didn't have any gristles/tendons.

Because they might have parasites, it's important to cook it at a high-enough temperature long enough to kill off any cooties. Peterson's says this about it:

"Contamination is easily prevented by cleaning knives and cutting surfaces after processing, freezing the meat for at least 21 days, and cooking to an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit."

In 1968 I was stationed at Clark Air Base in the Philippines and hunted on Luzon, Palawan, and Mindano Islands. On one trip in the Zambalies Mountains on the USAF Gunnery Range I had a unique adventure while hunting. Local trappers had been to the area we had selected to hunt. We had packed 3 days of food for a seven day hunt. After going hungry for a day in a half we shot fruit bats for food. You have to be VERY Hungry to eat those stinky things even after cooking in a fire. I ate and I heaved several times. A day later we shot a large wild pig and a small local deer. The pig and deer feed us for our return home.

Yup, and I have no desire to eat a bear unless it's been chowing down on summer berries

A buddy of mine gave me a couple spring black bear steaks a number of years ago. I let him hang the bear at my property in Ketchikan so I guess he felt he owed me something. Looking back, I now think he was doing the opposite..... My wife and I bbq'd them up and I was able to choke a bite or two down, but hit a bit of fat and the gaminess was x10 so that ended any ideas of eating bear. He made pepper sticks out of it much of it which were very tasty, but those were a 50/50% pork/bear mix with lots of spices so even though he called them bear sticks, they were just as much pork sticks.

Let's get something straight here. Unless I were starving to death, I ain't eating DOG.
CASE CLOSED.

That said, let me drop a couple of funny stories on you on this subject.

1) More than twenty years ago, inspectors doing a routine check of some food vendors at the Washington State (Puyallup) Fair found out that one or two of the Asian vendors were secretly selling some of their customers who asked for it...dog or cat meat on a stick. They were made to stop doing this, of course. I only found out because I did some temp work there many years back.

2) When I was young, I lived in the Philippines for about a year. My mom and I are walking down the street in Manila, and I saw a heavy-set American tourist lady walking this huge standard poodle on a leather leash. A Filipino man came running up behind her with a bolo knife and slashed through that leash in one quick stroke. He grabbed the poodle and ran off down the street. The woman started screaming, but no one cared, no one helped her. They mostly just laughed at her. The dog probably ended up in a butcher's shop later that day. In Manila, he wasn't taken to be groomed for the local dog show, I can tell you that.

It smells funny when you're browning it in the frying pan. But it's tasty in a stir-fry or in stew. There's no fat, and the meat that I had didn't have any gristles/tendons.

Because they might have parasites, it's important to cook it at a high-enough temperature long enough to kill off any cooties. Peterson's says this about it:

"Contamination is easily prevented by cleaning knives and cutting surfaces after processing, freezing the meat for at least 21 days, and cooking to an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit."

Yup MTN Lion is awesome meat, very tasty.

I have eaten coyote, and it was good. It was not the "if I was dying in the jungle" good, but seriously good. We shot a coyote, cooled it down quick, chunked it into pieces, put in in a large mason jar with salt water for 6 hours, and cooked it in a pan with butter on the campfire. It tasted like bear or ox tail (rich and beefy). I would not do it in the heat of summer, or shoot a coyote near town that was living off baby diapers, but if I shoot another one I will eat it, and feed it to my coworkers on potluck day.

Ate rock chuck, fried. Only once. Mountain lion several times and several ways. Black bear multiple times as roast. Idea of coyote sorta turns my stomach, unless I was desperate. Then I'd eat authentic Indian curry. Not American version but real stuff. Been to India and about starved. They used curries instead of refrigeration. Enough spice and heat to warp a cast iron skillet. Kind of like kimchi, I've tried. Indigenous people people in Alaska , family members in Alaska, eat somethings that cannot make it past my nose. All that to say, glad the government can't dictate my food intake. Yet!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top