JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
... Anyone ever find one paper target better than another?

For what it's worth, I use paper plates with an "inventory" dot - 3" diameter. I have the fluorescent red but will next buy the fluorescent green. (http://tinyurl.com/jgstu8p) . I then put a 1" white mailing seal dot in the center. (http://tinyurl.com/hb7jfuo).

These work perfectly for me as I shot 100 and 300 yards. At 100 yards the white dot is 1 MOA and at 300 yards the red dot is 1 MOA. The change to green is to better see the holes - the red has become a little too dark. (Yes, it's age related!);)

I was just thinking of paper plates not for the same reason as RVTECH, I just wanted a clearer picture of how the gun or I or both were doing. On a regular paper target like I shot yesterday using 45 ACP from Winchester (White Box) and Blazer Brass (maybe 900 FPS)my Para made a huge ragged hole after two magazines (28 rounds) just a big tattered hole with a couple of flyers pretty close. I notices that the rounds do punch a ragged individual hole, likely as a 'slow' round would do as later when shooting some high strength Underwood (close to 1200 FPS) why the holes punched a clean hole, easy to see more precisely. I was thinking paper plates would allow cleaner holes for those slower rounds.
It wasn't just the gun either as my little Rock Island GI Officers model also made a large ragged hole with 28 rounds, until another target and the noticeably harder recoiling Underwood (Broke my new Ivory Grip panels Grrrr) but they punched the clean holes.
I think I might have improved my shooting if I could see the results better.

I guess I'll stop complaining about my eyes. Seems I'm a lucky ba$tard.
I bring eye drops to the range because my eyes dry out quickly while shooting, and then I cannot see doodley-squat.
Shoot-n-see for low light, and in normal light, the newsprint targets they sell at TCGC or sheets of ultra-white vinyl with fluorescent pink garage sale dots.

I was just thinking of paper plates not for the same reason as RVTECH, I just wanted a clearer picture of how the gun or I or both were doing. On a regular paper target like I shot yesterday using 45 ACP from Winchester (White Box) and Blazer Brass (maybe 900 FPS)my Para made a huge ragged hole after two magazines (28 rounds) just a big tattered hole with a couple of flyers pretty close. I notices that the rounds do punch a ragged individual hole, likely as a 'slow' round would do as later when shooting some high strength Underwood (close to 1200 FPS) why the holes punched a clean hole, easy to see more precisely. I was thinking paper plates would allow cleaner holes for those slower rounds.
It wasn't just the gun either as my little Rock Island GI Officers model also made a large ragged hole with 28 rounds, until another target and the noticeably harder recoiling Underwood (Broke my new Ivory Grip panels Grrrr) but they punched the clean holes.
I think I might have improved my shooting if I could see the results better.
I use cereal boxes. They cut clean for me with every caliber and subsonics. I've used them with all kinds of targets including just drawing on them with a marker. It's really easy to measure your groups when you get a clean hole in the cardboard. A couple of times a year Midway USA has a sale on the Caldwell reactive targets. They are a lot like the Shoot 'n See targets. Whey they are on sale they usually don't have the black stickers in the bag. The price is good enough that I buy a bunch of them, which you want to do at Midway because of the way they charge shipping.

My experience is to shoot at a piece of paper with a small dot on top and one on bottom. I use a sharpie. That is for sighting in. This is with a high power scope though and small caliber ammo so I want very high contrast to see the holes.

Oh and the real targets are on that cheap cross between newsprint and cardboard. Those show holes WAAAAaaaaayyyy better than printer paper. I buy them at TCGC and shoot at the backs so I get a clean piece of paper.

I also like the shoot n see targets although I now get the smallest size and put a few per page with the bolt guns.

Another tip is I dial my scope 1" to the right so that while I am aiming at the dot all the time, my group is to the side. This allows me to focus on the dot all the time and not get lost in the holes. I think I chase hits when they are close to the mark. I get confused with what is the mark and what is the bullet hole.

I use the same targets but have moved them closer over time.
From 100 yards to about as far as I can see plus ten or so yards closer, and then if I am alone and by myself maybe a few yards closer than that.
Silver Hand

I still shoot 300 yards but my center dot is 4" square. I use a 4' X 4' cardboard pallet cover. I then use the relatively inexpensive white 4" vinyl tape used on hay bale bags and make 4 crosses (two top and two bottom) each cross leg about a foot long. I now have four two foot high white crosses with 4" square center dots where they bisect. I also have some brown packaging tape which I can cover some of the wayward holes so each cardboard usually last for several outings. I'm usually still in the 4" square @ 300 yards so I figure with the explosive power of my fairly fast moving 270, whatever is in my sights is still dead, albeit I'm not likely to actually shoot 300 yards at game any more unless they wander in front of my bench rest.
On the rare days I'm feeling frisky, I'll make a small cross of black electrical tape and center it on the 4" of white center square and sometimes surprise myself. :)
Then quit while I'm still feeling cocky.:cool:

Why not just use paper plates painted orange or something. You could draw a small dot in the middle in a different color.

I have pretty bad vision even with glasses. In low light I can't see squat.
That's what I've been using for years Cheap and can put anything in the center for the bull, Just saple the plate to a piece of cardboard. NO mess and easy clean up

I have been trying different sight colors to compensate for aging eyes. I have every fluorescent sight color made. The best pistol sights are the fiber optic sights on my SW22. All of my other guns have scopes or black iron sights. The iron sights are now various colors, but I have not found anything better than those fiber optics. I am having to relearn my sight alignment. I had to give up my contact lenses and have to wear special prismatic eye glasses for a sight/balance problem I developed. They would make the average person fall over. It took me a long time to get used to them. I bought scopes for most of my rifles. I couldn't understand why all of my fairly high end scope reticles were curved around the edges. I thought that there was something wrong with my new scopes. I have to keep my head vertical on the cheek weld. Any angle would throw off the reticle. A real bummer.

FREE TARGETS

FreeTarget.org – Print Free Targets | Download and Print shooting targets – totally free

Well, almost, you do need to print them but ....

Theses guys have almost any design you want. If you use a color printer, you can get black and white with red dot in center.

I been using printed targets from these guys for the last few years.

Love them, it cost you for the paper and ink to print these but when you compare with the cost for pre-printed targets at the store, these are SUPER CHEAP.

Last Edited:
ses U, I've been known to hobble pretty fast when breakfast is called, even for oatmeal if there's butter, brown sugar, and cream available .:)
Have someone park an ice cream truck behind enemy lines. Turn the ice cream music on and just follow me.
So I can print these targets and then paste them on cereal boxes so I get clean holes .... great thread.
When I want to attach printer paper to cardboard (outside) I use this stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/Elmers-Extra-Strong-Adhesive-E455/dp/B001PMGAGK
It's faster than glue sticks and holds better. I put the target on the ground face down, lightly spray the back of it and slap the cardboard on it. This keeps me from getting adhesive on my hands. It's not something you want to use indoors though. :confused:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top