JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good to know. I was looking at joining a few weeks ago but the $1500 price tag was a shocker. A lot of the threads I've read which have convinced me to join also said it goes on sale a lot.

Please post the link if you find it.

Don't forget the 2nd Amendment Foundation, another good outfit.
Life membership is $150. Second Amendment Foundation

FTR, I'm a NRA and SAF life member. They are, in my mind, complimentary organizations with the same goal but different approaches and priorities.

Is the NRA still an organization to support?

Not sure they showed for the most recent gun "protection" bill in WA, among others

Is the NRA still an organization to support?
Not sure they showed for the most recent gun "protection" bill in WA, among others

That seems to be a frequent question here. They are a national organization, and most prominent in lobbying at the Federal level and pursuing lawsuits where they think the prospects are good for a precedent-setting ruling. I don't think they pour a lot of financial resources into liberal leaning states where the legislatures and courts are less likely to be receptive.

They were the first gun rights organization in the country, the biggest and best funded. They do a heck of a lot more than lobbying and litigating, with training being the most visible.

My sense is that some people think that because they are so well established and visible, the NRA should be everywhere in full force. Can't be, so that is - in part - why I support several organizations. The NRA and 2nd Amendment Foundation just happen to be the two that I joined at the Life Member level.

Don't forget the 2nd Amendment Foundation, another good outfit.
Life membership is $150. Second Amendment Foundation

FTR, I'm a NRA and SAF life member. They are, in my mind, complimentary organizations with the same goal but different approaches and priorities.

I wish SAF would come down into Oregon. We need a group here that is not only pro-active in working with the legislature to advance pro-gun agendas and bills, but is willing to step up and SUE the state when they overstep the bounds. OFF just doesn't do either of those things, leaving us in Oregon pretty much without a strong pro-gun organization. I still donate to OFF, but I wish they did more to fight back - we got walked all over with SB941 and OFF seemed to have nothing to hold over them to even slow them down. Very frustrating not having a stronger pro-gun group in this state.

Oh and life member NRA here and supporter of the SAF, even though they don't work in my state.

Life member here, was a gift from my Grand Father, also a life member! I have to keep reminding my self that the NRA is far more then just a political thorn in the sides of any politician who makes noise about removing our rights! Fact is, the NRA does fight for us, and they fight very hard! This is why if you look back at several of the last elections, The Politician always claims "I stood up to the NRA, The most powerful Gun Rights Lobby in the World" Exact words from Killery, This should tell you just how much they fear the NRA! Right now, folks are asking why should I join the NRA? what can the NRA do for me? The answer is by joining them, you empower them by ONE more then they had, adn let me just say this, The more people that do join, the more powerful the NRA becomes, if every single gun owner were to join, just thing how much influence the NRA can have on your behalf! Just my .02 cents! Try this, Join for ONE year, and see if you don't get at least your money's worth! Ignore the letters asking for donations, and enjoy the other benefits! If you don't like it, don't renew, that's all!!!! Look for the cool stuff besides the political crap going on these days, and immerse your self in all the other cool things you will find!

I'm a life member of the NRA. It cost me almost a full month's take-home pay when I was 20 waaaay back in the 70's. That said, I haven't given them a dime since May, 1986 - if you don't know the significance of that date, you need do some homework.

The NRA has become less a gun rights organization than the Wayne LaPierre cabal's private empire, with a hand-picked board of directors rubber-stamping LaPierre's every fiat. The NRA Executive Vice President used to have a limited term of office. But now LaPierre is effectively President-For-Life with the hefty salary and golden parachute retirement package that goes with it. Pournelle's Iron Law Of Bureaucracy in action.

Another thing, the NRA did relatively little in Washington state during the recent ban vote, because, for one thing, they didn't want their rival 2AF to be able to take any credit if the bans were voted down. Playing politics with their members' gun rights. Swell folks, eh?

Another thing, NRA field reps have been caught trying to convince Oregon shooting clubs to ban full-auto guns from their ranges or risk losing their NRA-backed range insurance.

ak-heston_500w.jpg

Nope. NO money for the Frenchman's Fudd cabal.

After that, I supported the 2nd Amendment Foundation, until my mailbox started filling up with copious junk mail from merchandisers from 2AF's mailing list. Organizations who promiscuously pimp out my information get ZERO dollars from me. EVER. Also, like LaPierre, Alan Gottlieb draws a hefty salary and benefits much of which would (should!) otherwise go to legislative work.

Which brings us to the Gun Owners of America and their Oregon branch OFF. I've supported OFF regularly for these last years. They stand up for ALL gun owners, not just the Fudds, target shooters, wabbit hunters and skeet geeks. I have never gotten marketing junk mail from their mailing list. So that's where my money will go for the foreseeable future.

But you pays your money and you makes your choice.

I've supported OFF regularly for these last years. They stand up for ALL gun owners, not just the Fudds, target shooters, wabbit hunters and skeet geeks. I have never gotten marketing junk mail from their mailing list. So that's where my money will go for the foreseeable future.

Just out of curiosity, can you tell me what, of any substance, OFF has done to stand up and protect the rights of all gun owners in Oregon? I mean, yeah, he sends out emails telling us to go call our legislators, but I do that already, so it doesn't help me much. What did he do to stop SB941? He spoke at some hearings, but they ignored OFF and the rest of us in the process - it was all a show just to make it look like they listened to gun owners before they 'voted' on a bill they already knew they were going to pass, regardless of 'public testimony'. What is OFF doing, right now, to stop them from moving further? Are they proposing legislation? Are they planning to bring a lawsuit if our rights are further dwindled in the coming session? I do support OFF, but please don't tell me they are doing everything they can to protect gun owner's rights in Oregon, because I have yet to see it. And I'm sorry, but OFF Alerts via email and on their web page are hardly a proactive action to protect our rights. We need a group that is able to stop them, not just send emails telling us that we're on the cusp of losing more of our rights.

I'm a life member of the NRA. It cost me almost a full month's take-home pay when I was 20 waaaay back in the 70's. That said, I haven't given them a dime since May, 1986 - if you don't know the significance of that date, you need do some homework.

The NRA has become less a gun rights organization than the Wayne LaPierre cabal's private empire, with a hand-picked board of directors rubber-stamping LaPierre's every fiat. The NRA Executive Vice President used to have a limited term of office. But now LaPierre is effectively President-For-Life with the hefty salary and golden parachute retirement package that goes with it. Pournelle's Iron Law Of Bureaucracy in action.

Another thing, the NRA did relatively little in Washington state during the recent ban vote, because, for one thing, they didn't want their rival 2AF to be able to take any credit if the bans were voted down. Playing politics with their members' gun rights. Swell folks, eh?

Another thing, NRA field reps have been caught trying to convince Oregon shooting clubs to ban full-auto guns from their ranges or risk losing their NRA-backed range insurance.

View attachment 323143

Nope. NO money for the Frenchman's Fudd cabal.

After that, I supported the 2nd Amendment Foundation, until my mailbox started filling up with copious junk mail from merchandisers from 2AF's mailing list. Organizations who promiscuously pimp out my information get ZERO dollars from me. EVER. Also, like LaPierre, Alan Gottlieb draws a hefty salary and benefits much of which would (should!) otherwise go to legislative work.

Which brings us to the Gun Owners of America and their Oregon branch OFF. I've supported OFF regularly for these last years. They stand up for ALL gun owners, not just the Fudds, target shooters, wabbit hunters and skeet geeks. I have never gotten marketing junk mail from their mailing list. So that's where my money will go for the foreseeable future.

But you pays your money and you makes your choice.

Haters gotta Hate...:rolleyes:

If you are wanting join and just pay the $500, do what I did..... just call them and tell them that you want to join. When they tell you it's $1500, tell them that you just saw something for $500 lifetime and thought you'd do that. Tell them that you won't do $1500 and will wait for the $500 lifetime membership to come back.

They put me on hold and came back and said "We can do the $500 membership if you want to sign up now." I said, "Let's do it!"

I'm pretty sure they would rather do the $500 immediately than risk possibly losing someone all together.

I may have missed it but I don't remember Hillary promising to take on the OFF or the SAF. I've been a life member over 25 years and when a politician gets on TV to push gun control I send something.

This year when he did that rigged town hall meeting I waited for him to stand up from his chair and sent the NRA $50. So I figure that gives a couple folks another year to work on their excuses.

Last Edited:
Why join the NRA? If for no other reason than this - and there are plenty more just like her ready to take your rights away. No doubt our own OR gov Kate feels exactly the same way. So why not belong to the one pro-gun group, regardless of your agreement with all they do or don't do, that does more to pi$$ off the anti-gun crowd than our own NRA.

If you can look at a quote like that and still pi$$ and moan that the NRA is doing nothing for gun rights, then there is nothing I can do to help you.

ps%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F564x%2F0f%2F7a%2Fa0%2F0f7aa02b19747182bea8c3d749641faf.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads