JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After lots of research, fondling at the shop, and thinking i've decided on a CZ 550 FS for my next all purpose rifle.

Took my blacktail this year with a 1941 mosin nagant that i accurized and worked up a handload for and that itch is pretty much scratched so it's on to the next thing (it's hard being a gun nut).
Here's a pic in-case you're interested:
2011-07-15_08-27-50_38.jpg

And here is the CZ:
04053C_1.jpg

It's a 20.5" barrel, mannlicher forearm, hogsback stock. 7lbs. Comes in 308, 270, .06, 9.3x62, and 6.5x55 swedish.

I'm kind of leaning towards .308 or 6.5x55 but i'm a little leary for eastern oregon elk. I hunt western blacktails, western roosevelt, eastern muleys, and eastern rocky mtn elk. The 6.5x55 has an amazing ballistic coeficcient and sectional density both, and catches up to the .308 at about 200 yards so it almost seems like a wash.

More bullet weight options for .308 (156 is a heavy round for the swede) but the great bc and sectional density of the swede seems to almost make me more comfortable for eastern oregon elk at 300 yards (probably my max range under normal conditions).

I'll hand-load for whatever i get. I keep hearing great reports on the 9.3 as well, it would certainly we an awesome western elk cartridge, but maybe run out of gas taking a longer shot at a deer out east and maybe too much wasted meat on a deer out west, heh...

This is a tough one, i'm not very close to making a decision. Anyone want to chime in?

if that beauty comes in 3006 then thats how i would go. the ammo you can get anywhere and you can take anything you want with it from 110 gr. to 220 gr. i just love the 3006 the 3006 has more power than the 308 and if hand loaded is as accurate i have never shot anything over 250 to 300 yards away anyway, except milk jugs i love the way that rifle looks

For the common calibers you mentioned,308,'06 and 270,if you do your part,they will take down any animal on the continent.
The 270 is a little lighter and faster but shoots a little flatter.Otherwise the 308 and 30 06 are almost identical.
I think the 6.5 is a fairly popular round but nothing like the '06 and 308

Nice buck BTW

Is there any difference as far as performance out of a 20.5" barrel? Aren't 308 powders a bit quicker burning than .06? I guess i can taylor my loads regardless so perhaps that shouldn't be a factor.

I had a 65X55 for years and was very happy with it. It is used on Moose in europe because it was so common until NATO came along.
I would skip the 270win, they are no better on elk than the 6.5.
So 6.5 or308win your choice
Gonna sell the Moisen?

Boy, you're nervous about Rocky Mt. elk, but plan to hunt Roosevelt on the west side?!? Let me tell you, the Roosevelt is the (far) larger bodied of the two. You may have a longer shot in the eastern side of the state, but you will have much larger animal over here!

I know that the .308 and 6.5x55 have great reputations, and they have them for a reason. I'm not so sure about the 6.5, but the .308 loses little between 22 and 20 inches of barrel. However, I would pick a 30-06 myself.

More about the range out east than the size.

30.06 is starting to make a lot of sense. 6.5 appeals to the gun nerd in me (plus i'm swedish). .308 appeals because i may get a nato chambered battle rifle some day. Both .308 calibers appeal because i'm already loading that for .300 savage.

If elk is what you are after then the .30-06 should get the nod. I am a big fan of the 6.5mm's and I have one in 260 Ackley (260 Rem improved) but I also believe in using enough gun. I am confident that the 6.5x55 would do the job on an elk with the right bullet and keep the range down to 200 yards or so, but it would still not be my first choice for elk if I could use an '06. I use my 260 Ackley for mule deer, blacktail, and antelope (when I'm lucky enoug to draw a tag or go out of state). Here's a pic of the goat I shot in Wyoming in 2010. The Leupold CDS scope with the custom matched ballistic dial made quick work of the 504 yards between us.

And speaking of mosin, I have one I was thinking of keeping for just a hunting rifle. In your experience, is there any problems or shortcomings you had hunting with yours?

Yep. Safety is very difficult to operate quietly.The safety is extremely heavy as well. Other than that, it's a heavy rifle, but there were very few times i noticed it. I should create a new thread detailing the project. When i bought it, it was about 4 moa. After 1 hr of work and the right handload it's a 1.5 moa, although with another hour of work i feel confident i can improve on that.

If elk is what you are after then the .30-06 should get the nod. I am a big fan of the 6.5mm's and I have one in 260 Ackley (260 Rem improved) but I also believe in using enough gun. I am confident that the 6.5x55 would do the job on an elk with the right bullet and keep the range down to 200 yards or so, but it would still not be my first choice for elk if I could use an '06. I use my 260 Ackley for mule deer, blacktail, and antelope (when I'm lucky enoug to draw a tag or go out of state). Here's a pic of the goat I shot in Wyoming in 2010. The Leupold CDS scope with the custom matched ballistic dial made quick work of the 504 yards between us.

Nice! I've never shot anything close to that kind of yardage. That would be so cool to have a scope matched to your specific rifle. The Mosin has a leupold fx2 scout scope because it will mount right to the rear iron sight rail without having to drill and tap. It worked out great. Would have worked out even better if my dominant eye matched my dominant shoulder ;)

That's great to see you took your buck with an M44.

I've always wanted to hunt with mine but never put the time into figuring out how to scope it. Might have to do it now.....Fx2 eh.

Regarding the cartrige question.....I'd have to also say.....go with the 06'. There's just too many options right now not to. my .02

Yep. Safety is very difficult to operate quietly.The safety is extremely heavy as well. Other than that, it's a heavy rifle, but there were very few times i noticed it. I should create a new thread detailing the project. When i bought it, it was about 4 moa. After 1 hr of work and the right handload it's a 1.5 moa, although with another hour of work i feel confident i can improve on that.

Thanks for the info. A thread on how to improve on the mosin would be great.

I am a huge fan of the 6.5x55 and would probably be building one right now if it weren't for the fact I am buying a house. Which leads me to question why I find the gun deals when I don't have money to spend? Anyway, the 6.5x55 will do just fine, and like others have stated it is a very common moose cartridge in Europe. However, I do also like the .30-06. It's the reliable old pickup of cartridges, it will never let you down regardless of what your hunting in North America. The .308 is super common and does have a vast variety of ammunition, but frankly, the .30-06 can do the same and more, and since you handload you can get performance equal or beyond what comes off the shelf.

The 6.5x55 is my Volvo and my .30-06 is my Scout. I love them both and would hate to choose between the two.

I have a friend who lives in Sweden and she has shot moose with the 6.5.

But I'd go with the '06. Ammo is more available, and it's got a little more horsepower. Always liked that Mannlicher-style profile, too.

I have a 550 FS in 30-06. Its an awesome rifle, the 2 stage trigger is the shizz.

If you're out on the OP let me know and I'll let you shoot it.

After lots of research, fondling at the shop, and thinking i've decided on a CZ 550 FS for my next all purpose rifle.

And here is the CZ:
04053C_1.jpg

It's a 20.5" barrel, mannlicher forearm, hogsback stock. 7lbs. Comes in 308, 270, .06, 9.3x62, and 6.5x55 swedish.

I'm kind of leaning towards .308 or 6.5x55 but i'm a little leary for eastern oregon elk. I hunt western blacktails, western roosevelt, eastern muleys, and eastern rocky mtn elk. The 6.5x55 has an amazing ballistic coeficcient and sectional density both, and catches up to the .308 at about 200 yards so it almost seems like a wash.

More bullet weight options for .308 (156 is a heavy round for the swede) but the great bc and sectional density of the swede seems to almost make me more comfortable for eastern oregon elk at 300 yards (probably my max range under normal conditions).

I'll hand-load for whatever i get. I keep hearing great reports on the 9.3 as well, it would certainly we an awesome western elk cartridge, but maybe run out of gas taking a longer shot at a deer out east and maybe too much wasted meat on a deer out west, heh...

This is a tough one, i'm not very close to making a decision. Anyone want to chime in?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top