JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
titsonritz and I have butted heads (and fully agreed) before, and this will be the latter, for the same reason he put forth. That european gun, with the Mannlicher stock simply screams 6.5x55. Had the OP showed us pics of his recent "got this one at 637.586 yards with my .360 Retinadetacho Sphagnum", my recommendation might be different (toward the .270 or '06) for the elk application he mentioned. It is very apparent that he is a true hunter, has the ability to match wits one-on-one with the quarry and stalk to a reasonable range for a good, clean shot. With those abilities in mind (and the choice of style for his new gun), the 6.5x55 will serve him perfectly (and will be a constant symbol of his taste and skills). He also is probably aware that the 6.5x55 will be much more fun to shoot than an '06 or .270, and that he will most likely shoot it more often (hence better and better) than the choices otherwise shown.

Just putting my $0.02 in here, with only one experience to count - back in 1990 I took an elg in Normark with a single shot from an as-issued m/38 Husqvarna short rifle, using the usual 6.5x55 fare over in Scandinavia, the Norma 140gr partition bullet. The shot, over open sights, was taken 3/4 on at just under 80 yards, and the elg dropped straight down as though it had been hit by a train. It weighed out at just over 408kg/897 pounds, and the guide had led me to it as a suitable candidate for the pre-winter cull, as it was, in his own words, too thin-looking to make it over winter.

If I had to do the same in North America, I'd be happy to make the same decision about the suitable calibre.

tac

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top