JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, we all know of the problems out there and it's not getting any better. Wish there was a way to get through to them or to keep the riff-raff out, but that solution hasn't made itself clear yet. So what are we to do?

The only thing that comes to mind, is to clean it up and hope it doesn't return. But if it's left as a trashy area, it invites the temptation to leave more. Still, clean it up or not, it will return. It's a vicious cycle!

Having the undesirable camping, that goes on in all the forests, is keeping visitors out and causing a threat to the safety of recreating on public lands. I can't help but think; if the forest was cleaned up and maintained, we would feel a lot more comfortable with going there.

I am becoming more and more impressed with the nonprofit group Public Land Stewards-Bend. They are working on that idea of cleaning up a whole area to make it better for all recreation. They are tackling the big stuff and being thorough about it. They've partnered with a lot of businesses and agencies to get the resources they need to do an effective job. They've assembled teams who take on specific tasks and make things happen. It's epic!

Here's a video of what they did last year at the China Hat Rd area on Deschutes National Forest last year in Bend. Primal Outdoors-Camping and Overland did this video about last year's PLS-Bend cleanup.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="
" title="Be a Public Land Stewart (PLS Bend)" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wouldn't that be something if we did that here in the Tillamook?

So, we all know of the problems out there and it's not getting any better. Wish there was a way to get through to them or to keep the riff-raff out, but that solution hasn't made itself clear yet. So what are we to do?

The only thing that comes to mind, is to clean it up and hope it doesn't return. But if it's left as a trashy area, it invites the temptation to leave more. Still, clean it up or not, it will return. It's a vicious cycle!

Having the undesirable camping, that goes on in all the forests, is keeping visitors out and causing a threat to the safety of recreating on public lands. I can't help but think; if the forest was cleaned up and maintained, we would feel a lot more comfortable with going there.

I am becoming more and more impressed with the nonprofit group Public Land Stewards-Bend. They are working on that idea of cleaning up a whole area to make it better for all recreation. They are tackling the big stuff and being thorough about it. They've partnered with a lot of businesses and agencies to get the resources they need to do an effective job. They've assembled teams who take on specific tasks and make things happen. It's epic!

Here's a video of what they did last year at the China Hat Rd area on Deschutes National Forest last year in Bend. Primal Outdoors-Camping and Overland did this video about last year's PLS-Bend cleanup.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="
" title="Be a Public Land Stewart (PLS Bend)" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wouldn't that be something if we did that here in the Tillamook?
That video was done before the cleanup. Kinda shows you some of the pre-cleanup organization. Here's a vid of after the cleanup.

<iframe width="1232" height="616" src="
" title="Public Land Cleanup by PLS Bend" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Slight tread drift. @Cogs, you are correct in that you don't really know me, but we met years ago when you were doing the informational booths at the various shooting areas. You were doing some work out in Forest Grove one day and swung by my place to pick up a 10x10 canopy that I donated to the cause.

I also had a small part in a AR build with fellow members here (blue colored components, IIRC) that was eventually presented to you at one of the clean-up's. ;)
Might even be some video floating around of you wiping something out of your eyes…..

I hope that was enough to jog your semi-retired brain some. :p:D
I was there for that!!! :D :D

Too bad that didn't show the removal of the abandoned vehicles and campers. It was phenomenal how they had many local tow companies and cranes out there hauling it out.

I'm heading down there on the 7th to join them for their big annual cleanup on the 8th. My part will be group leader of Group 7, where we'll clean up a shooting site at Cabin Butte (maybe another spot or two depending on how many people join our Group 7). I want to learn more about how they organize such an effort. While this will be a good learning experience for me, it's also an opportunity to show how gun owners care just as much as anyone else.

It's been this way forever.. after I broke my neck in 1996 put in wheelchair for life. My wife was left with raising 2 kids 1 just born and a Quadriplegic husband. She had no skills she waited tables and we barely got by. Literally had like 20.00 a month to spend on something other than bills or rent.. we tried for assistance and we had a total income that exceeded the maximum by 15.00. Got zero help. We wer left with little choices for survival and knew at the Raye we were going were going to be homeless or moving in w somebody..
Our answer was to move away from Oregon and go to Nebraska where some friends were moving. Cost of living was 1/3 of oregon... wages weren't great there but we could survive and not be so dirt poor. I went back to college there got a degree and we moved back home to Oregon. We both worked hard got into a manufactured home in estacada. Saved money and finally bought a house in hillsboro in 2007.
Took out family 9 years to better ourself and our children and now grand children.

There are choices in life. Work hard to better yourself Or just work hard on not doing anything to better yourself .sadly our society today feels entitled and work as hard as they can not to better themselves and wait for government to do it for them..

Sorry not Sorry but I have very little compassion for those who do nothing but complain .
If your not willing to sacrifice then your not worth my empathy or time honestly..
This is the greatest country on the planet, nowhere else can you get what is possible here in America. But you got to be willing to make sacrifices, our forefathers did. My grandfather's did in 3 wars. Alot of you here served as well. And I thank you.. emensly.
Not to further thread drift but it's hard to have that "no compassion" these days.

Ive been in a lot of pain lately and it makes it easier to see others.

I'll end my side of the discussion with this seed for thought.

If a good amount of people living in these cities around the nation are left overs that didn't die over the last 3 years because they are part of the population that we as society deemed "not essential", combined with the rest of society deemed "essential" being ok with letting the "not essential" rot out on our streets and in our woods…

Would you want to care about that society and those that don't care about you? The society that deems your actions unclean or unfit for society, why throw your garbage away correctly, society literally threw you away…

Not to further thread drift but it's hard to have that "no compassion" these days.

Ive been in a lot of pain lately and it makes it easier to see others.

I'll end my side of the discussion with this seed for thought.

If a good amount of people living in these cities around the nation are left overs that didn't die over the last 3 years because they are part of the population that we as society deemed "not essential", combined with the rest of society deemed "essential" being ok with letting the "not essential" rot out on our streets and in our woods…

Would you want to care about that society and those that don't care about you? The society that deems your actions unclean or unfit for society, why throw your garbage away correctly, society literally threw you away…
I agree, it's probably the greatest tragedy in all of this that most of the homeless are due to economic displacement and are not the ones trashing our communities, yet they unfortunately suffer the response generated by the actions of the few 'bad apples'. I suppose this is why I'm so conflicted, I can feel for those who where simply 'dumped' by polite society; I can recall many times I could have ended up in their situation. But it's the few who have proven themselves to be worthless that bothers me since I also know that I'm not in their position because I choose to help myself get to a better place, and I guess I just don't have any empathy for those who can do the same, but don't.

But it's the few who have proven themselves to be worthless that bothers me since I also know that I'm not in their position because I choose to help myself get to a better place, and I guess I just don't have any empathy for those who can do the same, but don't.
I think its the majority that choose to stay there. The state is spending millions on programs to shelter them. More on topic, kinda, anyone that can afford to drive an hour out of city limits to camp on public lands with provisions for several days can afford to drive to a simple job.

I'm almost ready to be homeless! All I gotta do is a little remodel of this here trailer and I'll be a campin fool! (Or a fool campin!).

Sorry, had to post here about this... (we'll get back to the Wolf Creek Lanes thread soon!).

Fresh off the assembly line from down in Independence, OR, The Trash No Land Event Trailer! Just picked it up today. I love it!

It's a 2023 Cargo Mate 6x12 with a 4" lift, 6 1/2 feet ceiling height, Battery & interior lights, extra windows, stabilizer jacks, spare tire, tongue lock, and an RV style side entry door. The back doors are Barn door style because a ramp takes up space behind the trailer and we often need that space for parking other vehicles at some of these events. We don't have rolling items to load/unload either.

I bought it from Rivers West Trailers, Woodland. I had shopped all the Portland Metro places and they seemed to have a really good price. My sales guy, Clint, was great to work with, as well as, the owner and his son (pictured below).

How did we do it? A private nonprofit Foundation gifted us with a grant for $10,000 designated for the purchase of an enclosed cargo trailer. The base trailer cost $5095 and I added the options for a total of $6884 with tax and title fees. In 2020. that Foundation gifted us with $10k for General Funds, in 2021 they gave us $25K for General Funds & video equipment, and at the end of '22 they did this. I ordered the trailer in mid Dec and just got it today. We can't count on their gifts every year, as they donate to many organization and say they don't always give to the same ones each year. But wow! What a blessing it has been!

Here's the plan... From the side door, I build a partition wall that separates the front 3 feet from the back. When you enter the through the side door, you enter into a bathroom! Yes, a mobile restroom! Complete with RV holding tanks and running water to the sink and toilet (sorry, cold water only!). The back is planned for shelving to hold all the standard stuff needed for the events. The restroom is because the ladies and children don't have a place to 'GO' like guys do. We just used the trees and dig a hole. But our lady volunteer friends deserve better than that. I'll make it a nice restroom!

So now the fun begins! Get the divider wall in place and set up the cargo area shelving, get the signs on, load it up and get this thing ready to roll. The restroom will happen over time, but not a priority yet (many cleanups on schedule, so I won't have a lot of time to stay on it).

Bill

3-25-23 Rivers West Trailer.jpg 3-25-23 Trailer Day 1.jpg
Needless to say, I am very grateful for a Foundation who will support a nonprofit that has to do with GUNS! :D

I'm almost ready to be homeless! All I gotta do is a little remodel of this here trailer and I'll be a campin fool! (Or a fool campin!).

Sorry, had to post here about this... (we'll get back to the Wolf Creek Lanes thread soon!).

Fresh off the assembly line from down in Independence, OR, The Trash No Land Event Trailer! Just picked it up today. I love it!

It's a 2023 Cargo Mate 6x12 with a 4" lift, 6 1/2 feet ceiling height, Battery & interior lights, extra windows, stabilizer jacks, spare tire, tongue lock, and an RV style side entry door. The back doors are Barn door style because a ramp takes up space behind the trailer and we often need that space for parking other vehicles at some of these events. We don't have rolling items to load/unload either.

I bought it from Rivers West Trailers, Woodland. I had shopped all the Portland Metro places and they seemed to have a really good price. My sales guy, Clint, was great to work with, as well as, the owner and his son (pictured below).

How did we do it? A private nonprofit Foundation gifted us with a grant for $10,000 designated for the purchase of an enclosed cargo trailer. The base trailer cost $5095 and I added the options for a total of $6884 with tax and title fees. In 2020. that Foundation gifted us with $10k for General Funds, in 2021 they gave us $25K for General Funds & video equipment, and at the end of '22 they did this. I ordered the trailer in mid Dec and just got it today. We can't count on their gifts every year, as they donate to many organization and say they don't always give to the same ones each year. But wow! What a blessing it has been!

Here's the plan... From the side door, I build a partition wall that separates the front 3 feet from the back. When you enter the through the side door, you enter into a bathroom! Yes, a mobile restroom! Complete with RV holding tanks and running water to the sink and toilet (sorry, cold water only!). The back is planned for shelving to hold all the standard stuff needed for the events. The restroom is because the ladies and children don't have a place to 'GO' like guys do. We just used the trees and dig a hole. But our lady volunteer friends deserve better than that. I'll make it a nice restroom!

So now the fun begins! Get the divider wall in place and set up the cargo area shelving, get the signs on, load it up and get this thing ready to roll. The restroom will happen over time, but not a priority yet (many cleanups on schedule, so I won't have a lot of time to stay on it).

Bill

Needless to say, I am very grateful for a Foundation who will support a nonprofit that has to do with GUNS! :D
sweet!!

Bill

COOL!! Hey Bill. Are you anywhere that someone would be likely to come by and decide they will steal that trailer from you? Damned well better get some real good locks on that. Just sayin' :rolleyes:.

COOL!! Hey Bill. Are you anywhere that someone would be likely to come by and decide they will steal that trailer from you? Damned well better get some real good locks on that. Just sayin' :rolleyes:.
I hear ya, Mike! It's a pretty quiet neighborhood, but I don't want to take chances. I have a tongue hitch lock so no one can hitch up and drive away, and chain around the wheels. Ya never know, even in a quiet neighborhood.

They discovered brass collecting during COVID and using campfires to see the brass shine at night is their stock and trade. It doesn't surprise me at all that many have set up camp at these locations to be sure to get the jump on all the brass. It really is a vicious cycle that will eventually end with a wildfire whipping out our favorite shooting spots and quite possibly a bunch of homeless camps in the process. I always think we can do better to help these people, then I remember they won't even help themselves.
They don't even wait til night now. Last range day I had with a group of coworkers (about 12 of us, with way more firearms), we had a pair that kept watching us for hours upon end at Wolf Creek lane 3. They kept driving by like bubblegums too, drifting that sharp corner up to lane 4. The moment they saw us starting to pack up, they were on the brass like a fat kid on cake! Another time at Salmonberry I had someone stalking me for brass collection, then they got pissed at me when they saw I had my AKs out and I was shooting steel surplus 😂

I guess no one made it to lane 4 last weekend. Oh well. Shoot me an update when one of you go there (Well, don't shoot me, just let me know).

I'm thinking we should leave it there. Yeah, leave it there. And tape a homemade sign, perhaps on cardboard, that says something like:

THIS IS BS!

YOU ARE DESTROYING A GREAT PLACE TO SHOOT!

YOU ARE SHAMING GUN OWNERS!

YOU ARE RUINING YOUR CHILDREN'S FUTURE FOR SHOOTING ON PUBLIC LAND!

YOU ARE ADDING FUEL TO THE FIRE FOR THE ANTI-GUNNERS!

YOU ARE TEARING DOWN THE VALUE OF OUR 2ND AMENDMENT!

DESTRUCTION OF PUBLIC PROPERTY IS A CRIME. WITH THAT, AND THE OFFENSES GIVEN ABOVE,

YOU SHOULD BE SHOT!!!
And let that sign just sit there for a while.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews