JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice setup, @Witsendidk . I like the choice of targets and placement. May I suggest using a Moving Blanket over the Jersey Barrier. It's a little bigger and the padding thickness is just right. I get mine at Harbor Freight and they're pretty cheap.

Sounds like it was a perfect way to ring in the first day of spring! Thanks for picking up as you go!

Yes that's on my shopping list. I was going to pick one up at Winks yesterday morning before i headed out there but they were $16. I'd rather spend less. But yes definitely better than a little towel. :D

Lane four is pretty beat up. Lol that pistol berm used to look like this. Also here is a great way to collect brass and set up a shooting area.

77732E56-BA93-47BD-8382-456AB610C3F1.jpeg

I took the day off today so my wife and I went up to Wolf Creek this morning to see if we would luck out and not have the usual crowd. We must have because there was nobody else there and we had the large end lane to ourselves the couple of hours we were shooting. We could hear someone else shooting about an hour after we got there and when we left there was a couple at one lane and a group at another lane and a car coming in. The weather wasn't as nice as some had it earlier in the week, but it wasn't cold and the wind wasn't blowing.

We only shot my Beretta 92fs, her S&W .380EZ and we tried out a new Beretta M9-22 22lr pistol for the first time. No problems with any of them although .22lr ammo is sure dirty stuff.

Since we had the lane to ourselves when we finished we were able to spend some time picking up trash. I walked out and picked up some plastic jugs that someone had shredded and a bunch of paper and cardboard signs that were used for targets. I also picked up the usual assortment and amount of shot gun shells (I'm in favor of banning shot guns). My wife picked up brass and the glass from a number of broken bottles. It was actually kind of nice to be able to leaserly walk out on the range and pick up stuff since there was nobody else there wanting to shoot (or only stopping long enough so I could get my target stuff).

Some of the other lanes had bigger items that I saw when I drove past but for the most part, it's just a bunch of little stuff, bits of paper, clay targets, shot gun shells in every color, plastic, wood blocks and splintered boards and lots of brass. If I'd had a wagon to load the stuff I'd have gone out further. The hill at the end of the range is cluttered with stuff that the rifle shooters used but didn't go back out and pick up. The hand gun berm is about non-existent now.

I tried to get some Go-Pro video of the lanes as I drove out but it was set on single pictures mode and didn't do a video as we drove out. My dash cam only got the road and not the lanes. Other than a few pot holes that were smart car size, and a few wash board spots, the road wasn't bad. There was actually very little mud and we hardly got my truck floor mats dirty when we got back in. Of course that is subject to change at a moments notice around here. :)

P.S. For the humor impaired, I was only kidding about banning shot guns. I think people should have the right to buy a shot gun... it's the shells that should be banned. ;)

Mike

Cleanup April 20th anyone? By Mike's report, sounds like it needs it sooner than that! ODF asked if we could get a crew together for a cleanup on the 20th of April. I said I'd put the word out and see if we can muster up a few folks.

I have a cleanup to do, on the 20th, in Mt Hood at the 36 Pit (a simple 'get it done' type), and I won't be able to make it to NF Wolf Creek. So, we need someone to be there a little early and sign-in people. That's about it. ODF will have a dumpster, probably a ways away, but we can use that to dispose of the trash. We'll need a couple empty pickup beds.

No free lunches or fun prizes, just get it done and get to shootin. We'll have to tell folks they can't shoot till noon because of cleanup volunteers. They can either join in and help get it done sooner or wait.

If I can get someone to volunteer to be the head honcho, I'll post an event and start raising awareness about it.

Thanks!

Bill

PS: I'm with Mike... ban shotguns! Ha!:D

PSS: I was only kidding about shotguns. (I only wrote that because Mike disclaimed it too... and nobody's giving him guff about it either!). :)

I was actually thinking the last weekend of this month or the first or second of next month to get them spit shined. Been going back and forth with Randy on it.

I'm good to go for next weekend, or the next, or April 20th, just let me know. I'm used to being there early so I can help with sign in as well.
Thanks. I'm leaning towards next weekend. I'll probably get a post out Monday once I can confirm ODF can provide a truck to haul the trash. They have a ranger working Saturdays, but he doesn't work during most of the winter, I'm not sure if he will be back up and running already.

If not I'll see about other trash arrangements.

I'm free next Sunday, but not next Saturday. And then I'm free every Saturday in April except the 20th. So if anyone wants to get an alternative cleanup run together, I can show up with an empty pickup truck. Otherwise I'll just stick to my "1 contractor bag per trip" standard until I can make an official cleanup.

I'm books the next 4 weekends. Work scheduled me for the 6th, gotta play car mechanic (again!) on the 13th, Cleanup 36 Pit in Mt Hood on the 20th and a big Cleanup in Yacolt Forest on the 27th.

Hopefully there's enough people to get Wolf Creek cleaned up AND get the whisker yardage markers put in to lanes 2 & 3. That would be COOL!

Definitely time for a clean-up. I'm game for next weekend. I also still have the hubs and whiskers for Lane 2.

Another thing that I saw.....tweaker sign at Lane 3 & 4. They are stripping wire on site and burning the waste.

20190324_173639.jpg

E

Last Edited:
Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top