JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm back from Indianapolis today and was thinking about setting hubs and whiskers tomorrow, but seeing that l still still have snow at my place, I'm thinking it will have to wait.

E

Tried driving up Monday. I made it to the gate and chickened out. Having a 10,000 lb. truck sliding around in ruts where other drivers had previously slid off the road was not my idea of a good time. We got more snow last night and more expected to come so it may be awhile before it's accessible to the average driver.

E

That's good to know about the conditions. I was wondering as I was thinking of trying to get up there to shoot a new pistol but I've been waiting to see a report. I have a 4x4 Ram truck but it doesn't have anything in the back and I have regular all weather radials on it. I guess I'll wait a while longer. Thanks for the report.

Mike

EAA Witness 10mm-3.JPG EAA Witness 10mm-4.JPG

Got up to lane #2 this morning, the road to the lanes is actually not bad, but N. Fork Wolf Creek Rd was the rough part. Meteor impact sized potholes makes you want to ride on the shoulders, but that's what's causing people to slide off the road. It almost happened to me twice, once going up and once coming down. All in all not a bad journey as long as you take your time. Lane #2 was looking at bit trashed, pulled out what I could that wasn't under a foot or so of snow, but I suspect when that melts there will be even more trash. All said, was a great range day, the new pistol works awesome, and the 'new to me' chronograph also worked perfectly (many thanks Thorborg).

Tried driving up Monday. I made it to the gate and chickened out. Having a 10,000 lb. truck sliding around in ruts where other drivers had previously slid off the road was not my idea of a good time. We got more snow last night and more expected to come so it may be awhile before it's accessible to the average driver.

E

I did the same thing last Monday as well. Got as far as the gate, tried the hill but it was too icy and I slid back. I went against my gut just by going all the way up to the gate in my little 2wd truck! It's gonna be awhile for me before I go up there as well.

View attachment 551796 View attachment 551797

Got up to lane #2 this morning, the road to the lanes is actually not bad, but N. Fork Wolf Creek Rd was the rough part. Meteor impact sized potholes makes you want to ride on the shoulders, but that's what's causing people to slide off the road. It almost happened to me twice, once going up and once coming down. All in all not a bad journey as long as you take your time. Lane #2 was looking at bit trashed, pulled out what I could that wasn't under a foot or so of snow, but I suspect when that melts there will be even more trash. All said, was a great range day, the new pistol works awesome, and the 'new to me' chronograph also worked perfectly (many thanks Thorborg).
Looks like you're getting some good time in recording velocities!

We will have to get a small clean up together once the weather calms down a bit.

Thanks for the update!

Lane looks pretty good....except for all the shotgun shells. WTH? Or did you have to pick up all the bits of what ever the pigs were shooting with a shotgun? :mad:

Lane looks pretty good....except for all the shotgun shells. WTH? Or did you have to pick up all the bits of what ever the pigs were shooting with a shotgun? :mad:

I actually picked up a crap load of shells, couldn't even walk around the other side of the jersey barrier they were everywhere. I saw bits and corners of all types of targets, homemade and store bought peeking out under the snow, but was only getting whatever bits and corners were poking out, too wet and covered by snow to get the whole thing. There was some debris on the berm, but since it been raining for quite some time I didn't want to walk up the berm or sides. A couple guys in what looked to be a fairly nice rig came in right as I was leaving, but they weren't shooting, just looking for brass. I told them I'd already pick most of it up, but they seemed determined.

You have your shotgun slobs and your pallet slobs.
Pallet slobs win.
They burn 'em and leave a mess with nails.
Or they leave them downrange and mud caked.

That was them.

I have seen those guys several times and chatted on a few occasions. They live somewhere on Hwy 47 south of Vernonia. I get the impression they are both somewhat retired.

The driver of the truck told me a couple weeks ago that they took 1500 lbs of brass that they had collected from North Fork and other local shooting spots and sold it for scrap in Portland at $1.75 lb. He told me that a five gallon bucket of brass is usually 55-60 lbs so do the math......25-27 buckets. That's a whole lot of bending over. o_O

E

You have your shotgun slobs and your pallet slobs.
Pallet slobs win.
They burn 'em and leave a mess with nails.
Or they leave them downrange and mud caked.

I don't go out there anymore unless it's for a clean-up. I have to cross potland, twice, if I do. And personally, I don't really care if people leave materials that people might use to set targets on. Wood came from the forest after all. It's cold out there this time of year. Wood gets burned to ashes. Ashes melt into the ground. Granted the nails are a pain though.

I like seeing that water off to the side! Nice difference over last year!

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top