JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lanes 1, 2, and 3 looked decent today. Didn't get a look at lane . Some small pieces of trash but nothing horrible. Hauled out 2 bags of mostly cardboard targets and plastic bottles with me. It definitely looks much cleaner than some of the times I've been there in the past. The main road coming in off Highway 26 is pretty beat up though, lots of potholes.
Thanks, Beaker! Sure appreciated it!

Hey, that means we'll be done with the cleanup early this Saturday! And we can get to eating and shooting sooner! Cool!!! :s0133:

Went today. Too busy at the lanes. Drove a few miles up the main road. Any spot big enough to shoot a BB gun was filled. Headed up to Salmonberry. The sign at the gate said, close to shooting Hwy 26 - mile post #2. Drove a bit but wasn't sure were Mile post 2 was but convinced myself it was where I wanted to shoot so I turned around.

May try earlier tomorrow.

We have an auger! I reserved it at Botten Equipment Rental and @drewp will bring it along with his dump trailer. It's a 1 man with an 8" bit. Just like the one we had last year.

I have groceries! YAY!

I'll hear from ODF tomorrow on if they are assembling the new Lane 4 Kiosk or if we will have to. If we do it, I'll bring the bolts and some tools.

The trailer is mostly loaded and I'll finish that part tomorrow.

Weather looks PERFECT for the morning hours! All day, actually!

Looking forward to a good time at the lanes on Saturday!

Pass the word: the lanes will be closed to shooting Saturday, May 20th from sunrise to 1 PM.

Bill

We need a cordless skill saw!!!

I just spoke with ODF and they have all the lumber, screws and bolts, but we need to cut them to size and put it together (like last time). The 4x6 posts can be cut with a cordless saws-all, which I have, but, the plywood 4x8 sheet needs to be cut in half with a skill saw and I don't have a cordless. That will give us 2 4x4 sheets (lanes 3 & 4).

Any luck or do I need to rent one of those too?

We need a cordless skill saw!!!

I just spoke with ODF and they have all the lumber, screws and bolts, but we need to cut them to size and put it together (like last time). The 4x6 posts can be cut with a cordless saws-all, which I have, but, the plywood 4x8 sheet needs to be cut in half with a skill saw and I don't have a cordless. That will give us 2 4x4 sheets (lanes 3 & 4).

Any luck or do I need to rent one of those too?
I have a cordless skilsaw i can bring up. should do plywood fine. im planning on being there around 10am.

Who's camping Friday night? I don't want to be the only one! :( 2 guns are better than 1 :)
I thought Reno was going to camp out with you? Unfortunately the only reason I considered doing so was to capture a Milky Way photo, but cloud cover and even possible fire smoke from Canada was ruled that out. Considering how the last camp out worked out for me, I'm going to stay home and start out early Saturday morning instead :D

I thought Reno was going to camp out with you? Unfortunately the only reason I considered doing so was to capture a Milky Way photo, but cloud cover and even possible fire smoke from Canada was ruled that out. Considering how the last camp out worked out for me, I'm going to stay home and start out early Saturday morning instead.
Yeah, Reno mentioned that, but stuff comes up as we get closer, so I wanted to confirm with anyone who is camping.

If nobody joins me, I'll seek out a campground. Then I'll be okay by myself.

Yeah, Reno mentioned that, but stuff comes up as we get closer, so I wanted to confirm with anyone who is camping.

If nobody joins me, I'll seek out a campground. Then I'll be okay by myself.
I'm planning on camping, but not entirely sure if I want to camp at the lanes. Might head back in further a bit to Rock Creek. If you know of a peaceful place let me know and I can meet you there. I'm getting too old to chance an overnight visit from crazy.

I'm planning on camping, but not entirely sure if I want to camp at the lanes. Might head back in further a bit to Rock Creek. If you know of a peaceful place let me know and I can meet you there. I'm getting too old to chance an overnight visit from crazy.
Ahhh, but we have a gate to lock! Plus I'll put up the Closed sign after sunset. It'll be more secure than further out.

If I get my SUV back from the shop tomorrow, I plan to join you all Saturday morning. I'll throw in my 6' step ladder too as it came in handy last year as I recall.

If I don't get my SUV back, I don't want to try those roads in my Mustang, plus it doesn't carry much gear anyway.

Welp, it looks like I'm taking an unexpected trip to Oregon this weekend. I'll join in on the cleanup while I'm there. I'm already signed up for the Sultan Basin cleanup closer to my neck of the woods.

Welp, it looks like I'm taking an unexpected trip to Oregon this weekend. I'll join in on the cleanup while I'm there. I'm already signed up for the Sultan Basin cleanup closer to my neck of the woods.
Cool! I'm looking forward to meeting you. Sultan Basin is June 4th, so it won't be long before I see you again!

Have a safe trip,

Bill

Fun Fact for Oregon residents...

Among Oregon & Washington, Oregon State Dept of Forestry is the only public land agency that will help improve target shooting. Washington State Dept of Natural Resources will not. In addition, the Federal agencies in OR & WA, USFS & BLM, will not lift a finger to help.

ODF's efforts need our support to help maintain the good places and encourage others not to shoot in unsafe places. That even extends to helping them close the unsafe places when & if need be.

Wolf Creek Lanes was their first effort (and is now perhaps THE MOST POPULAR PLACE TO SHOOT ON PUBLIC LAND IN THE NORTHWEST!). Their second improvement is the one in the Santiam SF (which now is scheduled to reopen this Fall, dang-it!) They would do more if we would help maintain what we have.

While other agencies are quick to close down shooting places, ODF is more likely to try improvements to make places safer and more desirable to use, but they are hesitant to do so if all they see is trash and destruction but no stewardship. That's why I value volunteering my time for ODF, (even though I live in WA). It's a partnership we need to foster and grow.

You Oregonians are sure lucky to have ODF! I hope you treat it with respect and 'kid-gloves'.

Bill

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top