JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Fun Fact for Oregon residents...

Among Oregon & Washington, Oregon State Dept of Forestry is the only public land agency that will help improve target shooting. Washington State Dept of Natural Resources will not. In addition, the Federal agencies in OR & WA, USFS & BLM, will not lift a finger to help.

ODF's efforts need our support to help maintain the good places and encourage others not to shoot in unsafe places. That even extends to helping them close the unsafe places when & if need be.

Wolf Creek Lanes was their first effort (and is now perhaps THE MOST POPULAR PLACE TO SHOOT ON PUBLIC LAND IN THE NORTHWEST!). Their second improvement is the one in the Santiam SF (which now is scheduled to reopen this Fall, dang-it!) They would do more if we would help maintain what we have.

While other agencies are quick to close down shooting places, ODF is more likely to try improvements to make places safer and more desirable to use, but they are hesitant to do so if all they see is trash and destruction but no stewardship. That's why I value volunteering my time for ODF, (even though I live in WA). It's a partnership we need to foster and grow.

You Oregonians are sure lucky to have ODF! I hope you treat it with respect and 'kid-gloves'.

Bill
Jane and I are going to come out there tomorrow morning.

Have they given you a reason for this?
They don't give 'reasons' for not doing anything, but they like to make you feel good with their lip service: "We're going to do something", "We'll have public comment meetings", "We'll conduct surveys and look at the data"... and it goes on and on. But nothing ever really happens.

It's not rocket science. Simply a clear lane, a hillside backstop and an established firing line. That alone is a great improvement. They don't need to go as far as we did at Wolf Creek, nor as far as WDFW does with their dispersed lane improvements in Central WA.

Last stop in Forest Grove for morning treats!

ODF gave us enough lumber to rebuild 2 kiosks completely! I had asked for only lane 4 lumber, but I don't know what lane 3 is like.

I'm camping at the lanes anyway. It would be great if someone joined me, but, like Hank says, Country Boys can survive!

See yall Sat.
. 20230519_143834.jpg

Last stop in Forest Grove for morning treats!

ODF gave us enough lumber to rebuild 2 kiosks completely! I had asked for only lane 4 lumber, but I don't know what lane 3 is like.

I'm camping at the lanes anyway. It would be great if someone joined me, but, like Hank says, Country Boys can survive!

See yall Sat.
.View attachment 1424368
sweet!! well i think 3 was pretty good so maybe hang on to the extra, as history would show we will need it sooner or later. hopefully not but i have little faith in humanity as of late..

I am going shooting on lane three tomorrow morning.

As far as I can tell the ranges are open tomorrow, aside from maintenance work. Of which the workers can wear ear PRO.

Last Edited:
I'm ready to rock this thing.

The reason I came up tonight, is because of all the details involved with this cleanup. I wanted to be setup and ready first thing in the morning, but if I waited for Saturday morning, it would have been a long drive, really early in the morning, to get things set up. And that's a lot of work, so early in the morning!

So now I'm ready. Lumber is staged at lane 4, greeting canopy is set up, survey of the sites is done, flag is flying, and now I'm ready to blast a few rounds down range, cook up some grub, crack a beer and lock the gate later.

Life is good!

20230519_175821.jpg

Usually i don't posts i just read. I am a lurker. I wait until the weekend to read the posts. I have to be honest I stopped reading when i read a post about regular people locking the gates up at 30 after sunset and 30 before, to keep the vagrants out.. im sorry that will not fly with me. I arrive there super early when i go shooting and if i get there and the gate is locked and the website says it should be open im going to cut the lock. Not the chain , the lock. I say this because i drive a significant amount of time to get there. and its super late/early in the morning. It takes time to set up your targets if you have many steel targets. and if some regular Civi's like me are going to play law officer and lock up the shooting range their going to loose a lock.

very sadface.

Last Edited:
Somebody bring some ice! Mine is melting and I'm sure everyone wants cold drinks.

Thanks.

Note: Tweakers are abundant! One was sleeping in his car at lane 4 all afternoon just waiting for shooters to leave. Another one parked at lane 3 waiting for shooters to leave and now is out with the flashlight picking up brass. Another was at lane 1 scouring the lane. I'm going to run them out and lock the gate. I gotta get to bed!

Might be a sleepless night, but I'll be here. I hope!

Shoot on!

Left at 4, home at 6. Gee I hate Portland traffic!

We got everything done that we planned on. Very nice, crew! It's great to work with such good people! We make a good team!

I'll try to get to the pics and upload the kiosk ones. @Reno is gonna like the new locations! That was a good suggestion! ODF is onboard with it too.

@rhollister71 , I think we all appreciate the cooking! Sounds like you were a hit! Gee, you not only cooked it, you paid for it too! Thank you, Sir!

@drewp , awesome, competent work you did today on the signs. Thanks a ton for taking charge. And thank you for the use of that trailer! Also for picking up and returning the auger. Did you get the FG Landfill issue figured out? Sorry, I didn't see your message till I got home.

The guy with the cordless auger, what is his NWFA user name? Dang, he was a great help! I like his 'Get er done' work ethic!

Thanks everyone! Nice work!

Bill

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top