JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Checked on all 4 sights today. 1-3 were pretty clean. Folks were at 3 and 4. Guy at three was nice enough to chat for a bit. Younger guys at 4 didn't even flinch at my sight so I didn't get out to say anything. They appeared to be shooting a steel target. They were being safe. Just didn't get the most approachable feeling. Anyways. Site 4 looks to have some wooden target debree left over mostly. I did not see any remains of a car.

We don't own a gun yet, but took a drive out there a few weeks ago from Portland because we were intrigued.

Met some friendly people, and then "paid it forward" by picking up trash on site #4. Looking forward to using it! This is a great project.

I visited sites #1-4 for the first time this morning. The ranges are a nice step up for those of us who grew up shooting on logging roads in Benton County. Thankfully, I was able to leave with some brass as a souvenir. I looked for some trash to take home as well but only found a Mickey-D's coffee cup.

Overall, things looked pretty clean. :s0151:

Last Edited:
Hey guys. Got a response from Randy at ODF. He says go for it on putting in tuning or PVC into concrete. He raised one concern that we also discussed when we were in the design process. So his thoughts were to perhaps experiment on one of the lanes and see how it goes before installing the pole holders on all sites.

Here is his response email.

Hi Reno911

Yes, I remember discussing the option of embedding PVC or tubing at set distances either flush with existing lane elevation or up higher on target berms like the ones we set up at lane 1. I support giving it a try. My suggestion though, is to try it on one of the lanes first to see how it works and to allow time to test the design to determine if it needs to be modified any before incorporating it into all of the lanes. What is the design rationale for using concrete?

I also recall hearing comments and questions about the PVC pipe or tubing filling with dirt when not being used and some questions about how best to keep debris out of them. Have you all discussed this question? Do you think there are any other design elements to consider?

Randy

Any thoughts on the dirt filling the holes?

I figure if there is a decent surround of concrete around the pole holders, whether steel tube or PVC, it should create a decent barrier from the dirt. Perhaps even further surround the concrete with gravel. Creating a visual grey distance/target set up area with the concrete and gravel in the brown clay/dirt area as well as preventing the clay/dirt from flowing into the area from rain and water flow.

Hey guys. Got a response from Randy at ODF. He says go for it on putting in tuning or PVC into concrete. He raised one concern that we also discussed when we were in the design process. So his thoughts were to perhaps experiment on one of the lanes and see how it goes before installing the pole holders on all sites.

Here is his response email.

Hi Reno911

Yes, I remember discussing the option of embedding PVC or tubing at set distances either flush with existing lane elevation or up higher on target berms like the ones we set up at lane 1. I support giving it a try. My suggestion though, is to try it on one of the lanes first to see how it works and to allow time to test the design to determine if it needs to be modified any before incorporating it into all of the lanes. What is the design rationale for using concrete?

I also recall hearing comments and questions about the PVC pipe or tubing filling with dirt when not being used and some questions about how best to keep debris out of them. Have you all discussed this question? Do you think there are any other design elements to consider?

Randy

Any thoughts on the dirt filling the holes?

I figure if there is a decent surround of concrete around the pole holders, whether steel tube or PVC, it should create a decent barrier from the dirt. Perhaps even further surround the concrete with gravel. Creating a visual grey distance/target set up area with the concrete and gravel in the brown clay/dirt area as well as preventing the clay/dirt from flowing into the area from rain and water flow.

When installing the concrete, construct the form a small square shape with a pipe in the middle (it can be driven into the ground) and have the form walls extend 2 - 3" above grade which will keep dirt and debris from filling in the hole.

My thoughts is someone will put dirt in the holes intentionally. It's got to be difficult for someone to damage, both shooting and vandalism.
I think #3 would be a good one it's got that short burn and we could do something at the 50 yard mark. #4 always has large groups and seems to get heavy use every time I go #4 is getting the most punishment.
What it be possible to instal concrete bases that stick out 6 to 8 inch? They would need to be angled correctly. We have to consider ricochets.
Anyway just put something out there I will look around see what others use.

Height of the bases is flexible, of course, and if someone decides to fill in the holes with dirt, it won't matter how high they are. 2 - 3 inches reduces the target availability of the base and provides for less chance of a ricochet.

Of course, if I am there and find someone filling in the bases with dirt, gawd help 'em. ;)

I have a feeling anything that is too much above grade would become a target for some jackwagon. As the maintenance supervisor at a school, I know first hand if there is a will there is a way when it comes to vandalism. I would think if the pipe was set into concrete that is 12"-18" in width and slightly above grade you could keep most of the debris from accidentally getting knocked into the hole.

That's a good idea keep it relatively low but have a wide base. Be great to have a design that would be repairable in case something does happen. Anyway brain storm see if we can find a way to do this. Maybe some other target ranges have something in place.

I think this might be something a bit fancier than even established ranges.

However, established ranges have range officers whereas Wolf Creek is not supervised. The established ranges don't have to deal with this sort of thing.

Concrete can be repaired on the surface but if the walls are thick enough with most of the box below grade, they should be fine.

My thoughts are to dig in about a foot at probably the 50 yard mark. Have the concrete base be inground semi level to the existing terrain. Perhaps a little raised. A box about 1 foot by 6 feet a foot deep. Pound in 2 foot pieces of galvanized pipe the appropriate diameter or so to be flush to the ground before the dug in trench.

Fill the dug in trench with 4 pole holding tubes at the usual IDPA widths with concrete. Then dig out another foot or so around this 1x6 foot area about 3-6" deep and fill with gravel and loose dirt. It will stick out in the lane as a place to put targets, in my head at least. The 3x8 foot area will be obvious and should not track in a bunch of mud and dirt unless like stated above someone purposely fills the holes.

I figure 1 8' pipe, 4 bags of concrete, 8 bags of gravel, 8-12 2x6s to shape the base, and a days work by 4-6 members should do it. Shovels, picks, buckets, perhaps a good sledge or post hammer and sweat can be prouder by members.

After all done and said get a few members to pitch in or have @joelink donate some funds to buy a decent amount of 1x2s and hand them out at the shooter info booth below the sites.

Checked on all 4 sights today. 1-3 were pretty clean. Folks were at 3 and 4. Guy at three was nice enough to chat for a bit. Younger guys at 4 didn't even flinch at my sight so I didn't get out to say anything. They appeared to be shooting a steel target. They were being safe. Just didn't get the most approachable feeling. Anyways. Site 4 looks to have some wooden target debree left over mostly. I did not see any remains of a car.

I was there friday the 22 and things looked clean. Range 2-4 were taken. Range 1 had a lot of broken glass down near the berm. I saw some larger broken bottle pieces thrown in the surrounding bush as well as the remnants of a cardboard beer case. Would have tried to pick them up but the ground was muddy and the glass seemed embedded in it.

Hoping to get back soon for some more range time with my AR!

I went there a few weeks back when it was hot, dry and dusty. If you can believe that. Just wondering when it gets real muddy or snow is there an area past the 3rd shooting lane big enough to maneuver in bad conditions. You may not know until it's too late.

Hey guys, I was just up at site 4 today, and I am looking for a place to do some longer range shooting while making sure to be firing into a safe direction. I came across site 4 and noticed that in the valley next to it, someone has placed steel at 260, 400, and 500 yards. Does anyone know anything about this range and if there is any way to place steel out to 800-1000 yards? I hiked the entire valley out today to find if there was anything out there but it looks like the "road" that runs behind it is significantly offset from where the targets are placed. While I was out I ran into a group of very friendly people at site 4 who are very interested in being able to shoot out to 800 yards with their .308 as well. Let me know, it seems like a beautiful spot with a really nice backdrop.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top