JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a sad story, and one that seems worth discussing in the context of whether or not to attempt disarming a bad guy. Every situation is different (it goes without saying), and this guy apparently made the wrong decision here.

Young Norfolk man attempting to disarm robber gets shot instead

My opinion: I'm not a cop. If faced with a guy with a gun - I must assume he means to use it. Therefore: No warning shot. No verbal commands. If I can, shoot first (and if I can't do that, hopefully I can shoot best).

Of course, it's easy to show bravado on the anonymous internet. It's harder to act wisely in real life. I honestly don't know what I would do.

The only thing I can add that would make any sense is, if somebody has a gun pulled on you you do not pull your gun and expect the bad guy to drop his gun. If you're pulling your gun, you are pulling your gun to double tap the perp !!!

Last Edited:
Lots of sad in this, Really heart wrenching! I think the good guy here got some "bad" training some where, trying to present his piece and ordering do bad to drop his gun. The most obvious question I think We all must look at is: Do you attempt to draw and fire? Bad dude has a gun out and has made his intentions clear, Rule #1 of gun fighting, never draw on a drawn gun! Difficult to read this situation, could the good guy have better positioned him self before drawing? Why in Hell would you try and disarm? Another thing we need to all take a real long and hard look at is our own situational awareness and our skill with a pistol danger close, are we really trained up enough? are we really ready and willing to draw and fire? Will we hesitate at the moment it matters most? I'm afraid i'm not as good as I once was, I'm afraid that all the years of training are not quite enough now, i'm afraid age has crept up on my and dulled my senses and slowed my body. Another thing, if you make the choice to carry, you have invested time and effort into training and getting your permit, why make excuses to not carry, that one time you don't could end up like this! Always Carry!!!
I pray I never have to use a gun in anger ever again, but if I ever do, I pray I am smart enough, fast enough, and accurate enough to win the fight, because loosing isn't going to end well!

I think this holds true for most of us. We really don't know what we would do until we are placed in that situation.

That's why it's best to
Well the kid didn't have a problem shooting him, so clearly not everyone has this hangup.

Most good people don't want to have to hire a lawyer $$$, face a civil trial, or worse, go to jail. Even if you can mentally check off all the boxes, e.g., intent, means, capability, etc. there is still that nagging feeling that you're going to be in big trouble - lose your savings, potentially your job, marriage, and, spend the rest of your life looking over your shoulder.

I would also call 911 and take cover if I could.

However, if I am cornered it's no longer a "kid" it's my survival: it's my wife suddenly becoming a widow, and my parents burying their own son. And in this case, I will definitely shoot that m'fer.

And like many of you I fervently pray it never comes to that.

That would be a HUGE difference if the poor idiot who is now in a wheel chair for life was in harms way. It was the other way around. He went to the sound of gunfire to "intervene". Sound familiar? This is what the guy in the original story here did. At the mall here this guy followed the gun fire and spotted the "kid". He took cover and drew his weapon. when he had the chance to shoot the kid before the "kid" saw him he originally said he couldn't bring himself to shoot. So at that point he has a few choices. Stay put and let the kid walk on. Go the other direction. Call 911 and say he had eye's on the shooter and his location. Put his gun in it's holster and try to take the rifle away from the kid. Guess which choice he made? Now of course months later he realized just how stupid this choice was and tried to walk it back. So again. For me. If I'm there I do nothing but get the hell out of there. If at a robbery say bank, they can take the money, don't care. Now if they try to take me hostage, or to a back room, or shoot at me? Well I shoot.
The kid who is doing a huge stint in prison claimed he was seeking attention. Given how this unfolded I think he was. Up to this point he has not actually shot at anyone. He was purposely shooting stuff in the mall where no people were. This guy walked over to him and tried to take the gun. After it was over he took a bunch of hostages and then gave the gun to one of the hostages to wait for Cops. Now if I had been there and this kid was shooting at me or one of mine? I would have had zero problems dropping him. My first choice though would be get the hell out of there.

This is usually my tag line but I havent added it yet...
The gun owners prayer:
Lord, make me fast and accurate, let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who seek to destroy me, grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine, let not my last thought be - 'If I only had my gun'- and Lord if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in a pile of warm brass,
Amen

Hope and pray I never have to draw in earnest, but if I do it's because someone's going to die if I don't. In a mall...forget it, you'll never know what's behind your target, and if you miss...maybe someone dies at your hand and maybe the shooter becomes even more frenzied or both. Very sad a young life has been lost because of trying to do what he thought was right. Doesn't just apply to guns though does it when you recall the three guys who stepped up to try and protect the two women on the max and all three got their throats cut. Two died.
Wonder when Bloomberg will start up his anti knife campaign...

Sad sad story when the good guy loses. Prayers for the kids family.

I was gonna work on my tractor this afternoon but after reading this thread, I'm gonna go train and send some lead down range. Gotta stay sharp in this day and age.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top