JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a sad story, and one that seems worth discussing in the context of whether or not to attempt disarming a bad guy. Every situation is different (it goes without saying), and this guy apparently made the wrong decision here.

Young Norfolk man attempting to disarm robber gets shot instead

My opinion: I'm not a cop. If faced with a guy with a gun - I must assume he means to use it. Therefore: No warning shot. No verbal commands. If I can, shoot first (and if I can't do that, hopefully I can shoot best).

Of course, it's easy to show bravado on the anonymous internet. It's harder to act wisely in real life. I honestly don't know what I would do.

This is a sad story, and one that seems worth discussing in the context of whether or not to attempt disarming a bad guy. Every situation is different (it goes without saying), and this guy apparently made the wrong decision here.

Young Norfolk man attempting to disarm robber gets shot instead

My opinion: I'm not a cop. If faced with a guy with a gun - I must assume he means to use it. Therefore: No warning shot. No verbal commands. If I can, shoot first (and if I can't do that, hopefully I can shoot best).

Of course, it's easy to show bravado on the anonymous internet. It's harder to act wisely in real life. I honestly don't know what I would do.

I have had this " discussion" many times with people who carry. Many, in my opinion, watch too much TV. They start in with "if I was there at xyz robbery I would have stopped the mfer. Often they get real mad when you tell them they are asking for trouble. For one many of them can't shoot nearly as well as they "talk they can". I tell them are you sure you want to send rounds at some dobad when others are close by? At the range if you miss who cares. Do this in public and you may hit someone else. As you mentioned every situation is different. If I see a robbery I would call 911 if I can. I would not try to stop it like this assuming this is how it went. Same with say a bank. Standing in line and see one. I don't care. Now if they start trying to take me in the back, well then game on. I keep telling people that shooting at the mall here a decade or so ago is a great example of this. CPL holder got the drop on shooter. Then said he could not bring himself to shoot the "kid". So he put his gun away and tried to disarm him. The "kid" gave him several rounds instead of the rifle. Many don't realize how hard it can be to shoot another person in a situation like this.

Hmmmmm....

Let's see: a thug, wearing a bandana to obscure his identity, wield a firearm, trying to rob the group I'm with....

Me thinks there's no verbal command necessary, being the assailant was armed and in the act of commuting armed robbery...

That should have been a clean double tap, at least... And Pete would have lived another day, to watch his child grow...

This is very sad and the unfortunate part of watching to many cop shows, the liberal media, and just trying to be a decent human being.

If there's a deadily threat, the only course of action is a swift and deadily reaction.

Never underestimate evil.
They have nothing to lose, you usually do.
Bad guy will drop the gun when his brain stops sending electrical messages to his limbs.

Attempting to disarm someone who wants to retain their weapon is tricky at best.
I would not try it.
If I have to aim my gun at someone ever again , it will be because all of my other options to get me out of harms way , have failed.
Andy

If you have time, and a reason, to go retrieve a gun, then you have the time, and a reason, to call police. If they really thought something bad enough to warrant retrieving a gun was going down, they could have disbursed for a time rather than just arm up and hang around to see what happens. I see several poor decisions here that led to a tragic outcome. More people could benefit from the idea of getting away from bad things in the first place rather than standing there waiting for it to happen. They had a warning, their own intuition, and they failed to act appropriately on that instinct. Hopefully the rest will learn a valuable lesson from this.

I think many men, (I'm guilty) do not see an exit strategy as a defensive option.
As I get older I realize more and more having my ego intact is not as important as having my body or loved ones intact.

I keep telling people that shooting at the mall here a decade or so ago is a great example of this. CPL holder got the drop on shooter. Then said he could not bring himself to shoot the "kid". So he put his gun away and tried to disarm him. The "kid" gave him several rounds instead of the rifle. Many don't realize how hard it can be to shoot another person in a situation like this.

Well the kid didn't have a problem shooting him, so clearly not everyone has this hangup.

Most good people don't want to have to hire a lawyer $$$, face a civil trial, or worse, go to jail. Even if you can mentally check off all the boxes, e.g., intent, means, capability, etc. there is still that nagging feeling that you're going to be in big trouble - lose your savings, potentially your job, marriage, and, spend the rest of your life looking over your shoulder.

I would also call 911 and take cover if I could.

However, if I am cornered it's no longer a "kid" it's my survival: it's my wife suddenly becoming a widow, and my parents burying their own son. And in this case, I will definitely shoot that m'fer.

And like many of you I fervently pray it never comes to that.

Well the kid didn't have a problem shooting him, so clearly not everyone has this hangup.

Most good people don't want to have to hire a lawyer $$$, face a civil trial, or worse, go to jail. Even if you can mentally check off all the boxes, e.g., intent, means, capability, etc. there is still that nagging feeling that you're going to be in big trouble - lose your savings, potentially your job, marriage, and, spend the rest of your life looking over your shoulder.

I would also call 911 and take cover if I could.

However, if I am cornered it's no longer a "kid" it's my survival: it's my wife suddenly becoming a widow, and my parents burying their own son. And in this case, I will definitely shoot that m'fer.

And like many of you I fervently pray it never comes to that.
:s0101:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top