JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What I don't get is the comparative performance. 9x19 (Luger) vs 9x18 (380). I load 124gr 9mm to over 1355 and the brass is not full. 380 is anemic in comparison. How can 1mm shorter brass result in so much difference?

Major 9 loads......
Now let's get a Major .380 load going.
LMAO!

Good conversation.:) the cases are different thicknesses, therefore the 380 in any gun may handle the pressure, but the case will not. As stated by a (in my opinion a knowledgable reloader) the 380 is its own "self". Case capacity has no skin in the game. Anyone who loads 45 colt can attest to that. 380 and 9mm shoot the same caliber .355-.356, yet the dies are different. Clue #1 in same caliber- different die for straight walled cases. As for the 380's ability, 90gr. Hornady xtp coming at a bad guy at up to 1,000fps thinking the perp is thinking s?¢t!;)

I actually tried firing .380 rounds from my Glock 19. Funny, they all went bang and hit the target. But wouldn't cycle the slide and cost me more than 9mm ammo. I found a strange sense of humor in the whole thing.

I have a lot of 'practice' 380 so it's a moot point until we talk the defensive rounds. .... that is what I find expensive. I have a small supply of Underwood XTP and some Federal Hydro Shocks, a few oddball names here and there, but I like to occasionally shoot a magazine of 'Carry' ammo every now and again and replacing carry ammo is spotty and expensive.

I have a lot of 'practice' 380 so it's a moot point until we talk the defensive rounds. .... that is what I find expensive. I have a small supply of Underwood XTP and some Federal Hydro Shocks, a few oddball names here and there, but I like to occasionally shoot a magazine of 'Carry' ammo every now and again and replacing carry ammo is spotty and expensive.
90 grain Winchester PDX's are usually available and don't break the bank. Turns out they're pretty decent performers as well. In .380, that the round I'd carry...

To the op, yes, 380 ammo prices are expensive. That said your firearm is a worthy companion and defender. If you can afford it, buy factory. Keep in mind though that you can reload safe reliable worthy defensive and target ammo at a fraction of the cost. That choice is yours. If you decide to go that route I and others here would be more than happy to help you along. And as far as anemic, I believe the 380 is also called the something "browning". I don't believe he would waste his time on something anemic;)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top