JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is this about 1500+ yard guns or cool.308's?
some quick info on a few of mine, number are at 2500 foot elevation

------------max distance---------energy at max------------bullet
375 CT---------3000 yd---------------1030---------------370 RM
375 CT---------2600 yd---------------995----------------350 smk
338 Edge-------2200 yd---------------842----------------300 smk
300 Rum--------2100 yd---------------580----------------208 Amax
6.5x284---------1900 yd---------------390----------------140 JLK
.243------------1600 yd---------------295----------------105 Amax
.308------------1200 yd---------------497----------------168 Nosler

Hello,
If it were myself in this situation, wanting to build a sniper system with no budget limits. I would go with an Accuracy international chambered in .308 Winchester, or .338 Lapua. that will run you right around $7500.00 for the base weapon system then all the add ons like bipods, muzzlebreak Etc...
As for Optics you get what you pay for obiously. even though I myself am looking for a Leupold mark4 LR/T 4.5-14x40 Mildot. Again if I didn't have a budget limit, I would go with a Schmidt& Bender PMII. probably the best optic you can buy that can definitely handle the recoil of either rounds.
Please whatever you do stay away from the .50 cal Barret, or anything in .50 for that matter. very cumbersome. Furthermore lets not forget what this weapon was initially designed for. In its infancy it was issued to engineers in the Army, primarily Combat Engineers as a means of detinating suspected UXO or unexploded ordinance. Being name the anti-material rifle. Not only that the .50 is rated at 3 MOA. which if you do the math that is 30 inches at 1,000 yards let alone 1500+. The current purpose of this weapon for the modern military sniper is disabling vehicles at a distance. not so much of a small target shooting a vehicle engine block.

So as far as a long range rifle, i would definitely go with the accuracy international with a schmidt and bender optic. If not the accuracy then i would only have one other choice with no budget restrictions, and that woudl be a Sako TRG-22 or 42. TRG 22 is chambered in .308, and the 42 is Chambered in .338. I personally have shot both weapon systems and I have to say the functionality of the TRG stock is multitudes better than the AI.

You could also say to hell with those weapon systems and go with a completely custom rifle like Macmillan brothers, or piece your own together with different components. which is what I'm doing Rem 700 Action, Krieger Barrel, Mcmillan A5 Adjustable stock, and leupold optics. which will give me a pretty decent shot group at 1,000 yards.
hoping to get .25 MOA out of that set up. which is also shooter dependent.

Thank you
SGT E. Glispie

M96.jpg

/thread

M96.jpg

Have any of you guys noticed the OP, who wants a "sniper gun" (first indicator), has yet to respond to the post at all?

Also, tac, did I miss understand or are you trying to measure against everyone else on the thread because you seem to be in a measuring contest with every post. Usually it's the guys who feel the need to constantly post about how they used stuff "in the field" that would have a keyboard shouldered in the firing position as a "leet interwebs sniperz."

Here's the problem .308 maxes out at roughly 800 yards, without a very special purpose gun, and load worked up. 1500+, forget about it, it's area effect at best. 338LM improves that somewhat, it's going to be getting pretty marginal at 1500 yards, and will be area effect at 2000 yards.

As you start to scale it up from there, you're looking at the 416 barrett, 460 steyr, or the cheytac, problem with cheytac is it's a "patented cartridge" from a company that's essentially in receivership (chapter 11), so anything based on the CT, unless you're forming brass from .505 gibbs (the parent case) is not a good option. Regardless, any rifle in these calibers is essentially in the "luggable" category and you may as well opt for .50 cal as at least there is surplus ammo available for practice, and you can reload the cartridges with the hornady AMAX .50 bullets to get that added range.

winchester model 70 laredo in 300 win mag (maybe bump it up to 300 weatherby), an IOR Valdada fixed 10 power scope, mounted with custom claw type mount. that's it, all you need.

I sometimes think of buying or building the ultimate rifle. But I am old enough to realize that my abilities are no where near the ultimate. Never have been nor never will be.

I end up with so many questions for the OP about this posting. However, I think the OP posted and pretty much disappeard. Here are some questions I would have for someone initiating this question:

1. Bolt gun, or gas gun?
2. For shooting matches, or true, real world rough combat use?
3. Does the caliber have to be "commonly available", or are rounds like Chey-tac or .416
Barret included?
4. Does the rifle have to be in production, or can it be a "one of, only one ever like it" type?

A person could get carried away with ideas for a "only one ever built" rifle and have someone build a titanium, or scandium 20mm semi auto rifle, or a rifle using the Russian round that I think is 14.7mm for their VERY heavy machine gun. Not very realistic, but if money truly were no object and a guy had more money than common sense, it might be interesting to see what the builder came up with.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top