JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Couple Q's for you competitive handgun shooter types:

1) For speed steel type shooting, do you think there is any difference in building forearm strength and hand strength via active, dynamic movement such as grappling, martial arts, boxing, other? vs building via isometric exercises such as dumbells for forearm curls, reverse forearm curls, other? and regular grip "squeeze" exercisers?

2) What are some good exercises to build forearm strength and hand strength?

Thx for any thoughts

Cheers!

A good exercise for arm strength. Get get a 2 foot segment of clothes hanger bar or similar diameter wood or metal bar. Drill a hole in the center and add 5 feet of paracord or rope. Tie a 5-10 pound weight to the other end of the rope. Now standing on a workout bench, roll the rope up and down the bar with your arms parallel to the floor. You can also buy a fancy one.
1663176368730.jpeg
Feel the burn!

Exercising the muscles that make your fingers straight is very important. Most people over use the gripping and holding muscles, which can lead to strain and problems on the opposite side due to imbalance. I got some of these and they are very helpful. I play drums and guitar as well as work with my hands, I definitely felt a difference using these. https://www.amazon.com/5BILLION-Fin...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583451676401421&psc=1
I also recently got some chinese style metal meditation balls and those are very helpful for building finger strength and dexterity.

Well there is the obvious answer….:p

Or these are fantastic, I used them a lot in physical therapy and they are not all that expensive

View attachment 1276294 View attachment 1276296
Very interesting. Do you know does this help with tennis elbow? Seems to take around 4 months for that to go away for me. Drives me nuts in the rare times I get it.

Very interesting. Do you know does this help with tennis elbow? Seems to take around 4 months for that to go away for me. Drives me nuts in the rare times I get it.
I use the spring grip things for tennis elbow. I started getting it after using the rowing machine. I got it pretty bad after sleeping funny on the plane. Started using it, and the strain went away. I still have to use it on occasion during salmon season due to casting.

KDG Hand Grip Strengthener 2 Pack Adjustable Resistance 10-130 lbs Forearm Exerciser,Grip Strength Trainer for Muscle Building and Injury Recovery for Athletes https://a.co/d/hhUdSqm

It actually says it's for tennis elbow in the description =).

I like them because you can squeeze, bend, twist etc so it works pretty much every muscle in your hand thru shoulder and if you really want to you can use it for some pectoral exercises.

I'd would start with the easiest one as you would be very surprised at how fast they will fatigue your muscles.

They are super durable (I was introduced to them in rehab) and I can't imagine anyone using them to the point of needing to order another in the same strength range.

That's my 2¢ for what it's worth.

There are a lot of ways to skin a cat and ideally I would think a person would have multiple ways to work out and strengthen whatever your intended target is.

1663185350000.png
photo credit -- craigslist

Here is another way...but you don't end up with a semi-finished car restoration afterward.

1663185844397.png

Last Edited:
View attachment 1276356
photo credit -- craigslist

Here is another way...but you don't end up with a semi-finished car restoration afterward.

View attachment 1276361
Funny you should mention that. First time I got tennis elbow was from polishing a car. The vibration from polisher and circular movement is what did it.

This second time I got it (about a month ago maybe?) was from working on a car engine. Had arms twisted up in tight spot to get turbo valve off. Ended up with bad tennis elbow in one arm and mild on the other. Drives me nuts cuz hangs around so long.

I use the spring grip things for tennis elbow. I started getting it after using the rowing machine. I got it pretty bad after sleeping funny on the plane. Started using it, and the strain went away. I still have to use it on occasion during salmon season due to casting.

KDG Hand Grip Strengthener 2 Pack Adjustable Resistance 10-130 lbs Forearm Exerciser,Grip Strength Trainer for Muscle Building and Injury Recovery for Athletes https://a.co/d/hhUdSqm
Thank you! Ordered! I like that u can select resistance.

for the frugal, the milk jug can take the place of the weight for rolling up and down, keep arms extended shoulder height, bonus you can add weight as you build! for finger and grip strength try wadding small pieces of paper as tightly as you can, use individual fingers and thumb then larger pieces for crushing in your fist!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top