JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How far out do they go for PRS match?

I have been doing local mini matches with reduced targets. I now have a gas gun with which I'd like to stretch out and see where projected and real intersect.

How far out do they go for PRS match?

I have been doing local mini matches with reduced targets. I now have a gas gun with which I'd like to stretch out and see where projected and real intersect.
1200 for PRS. You might want to check out our Great Basin Precision Rifle matches. GBPR.
They run from March to October. First Saturday Of the month. Saturday long range to 1750
and Sunday gas gun. After all matches the range is open to 1750 for contestant playtime…

Is 1750 at a special range? I'm a COSSA member and only recall up to 1400 at the gong range. I'm also a very new member.

Is 1750 at a special range? I'm a COSSA member and only recall up to 1400 at the gong range. I'm also a very new member.
The PRS and GBPR events aren't held on the Gong range. They are at the big brown underutilized metal Taj Mahal just east of the Nosler range and their targets are scattered all over the ridge in front of it. The mile target is way up on the rim rock behind the gong range and is typically only visible during PRS events.

Yes special, the Buffalo Range next to the Nosler KD Range. The big brown building with the giant parking lot. Contact Range Director Rod Campuzano on the club website. He oversees the Buffalo Range.

Personally, as a spectator, the buffalo shooters are the most fun to watch than anything that happens there. I've put a lot of rounds on steel at 1000 yards and beyond. It actually gets boring if you do it too often. (Back in the good old days of plentiful ammo) But seeing the black powder boys hurling lead slugs 1000 yards into a mild steel buffalo with iron sights is something you never forget.

I would totally go but last time I tried to sign up they said no to 50 BMG shooters - sucks because I had 3 other people from the FCSA that were also interested in going - looked like a fun shoot ! I believe he said .338 was the maximum caliber aloud - even though 50 cals are allowed at COSSA

I would totally go but last time I tried to sign up they said no to 50 BMG shooters - sucks because I had 3 other people from the FCSA that were also interested in going - looked like a fun shoot ! I believe he said .338 was the maximum caliber aloud - even though 50 cals are allowed at COSSA
50 BMG is allowed as long as you are not shooting steel. The matches are all steel.

It's a Ko1M light gun event. We are just following their rules for a sanctioned event. 50's are Ko2M rated. You could talk to Rod about shooting.

50 BMG is allowed as long as you are not shooting steel. The matches are all steel.
I've read the rules and regs several times and don't recall anything saying you can't shoot steel with a .50 at COSSA. Unless you're specifically stating match rules? I do recall no surplus ammo of any kind being a rule, presumably because of steel cores. Can you point to where in the regs it says you can't shoot steel with a .50?

I've read the rules and regs several times and don't recall anything saying you can't shoot steel with a .50 at COSSA. Unless you're specifically stating match rules? I do recall no surplus ammo of any kind being a rule, presumably because of steel cores. Can you point to where in the regs it says you can't shoot steel with a .50?
The Buffalo Range is its own range within COSSA. It has its own set of requirements for shooing on it.
We have had recent problems of people shooting within a 1000 with 50's and destroying targets.
if you see a 50 shooting within a 1000 say something. They are destroying club resources.

Last Edited:
The Buffalo Range is its own range within COSSA. It has its own set of requirements for shooing on it.
We have had recent problems of people shooting within a 1000 with 50's and destroying targets.
if you see a 50 shooting within a 1000 say something. They are destroying club resources.
Fair enough. I've never been to the buffalo range and was under the impression that it was black powder only? Except, I suppose, on sanctioned matches. The gong range I have been to and while I haven't shot my .50 there, I did notice that the targets at 500 and presumably beyond are 3/4" steel which my personal .50 rated target also happens to be. I've shot my own target as close as 400 with nothing but paint removal so I'm here scratching my head at what seems to not be a rule but a preference.

Fair enough. I've never been to the buffalo range and was under the impression that it was black powder only? Except, I suppose, on sanctioned matches. The gong range I have been to and while I haven't shot my .50 there, I did notice that the targets at 500 and presumably beyond are 3/4" steel which my personal .50 rated target also happens to be. I've shot my own target as close as 400 with nothing but paint removal so I'm here scratching my head at what seems to not be a rule but a preference.
I am not up to date on 50 shooting. I go there for the GBPR program.
You have to join thru Rod Campuzano, the Buffalo Range Director.

Is this the kind of event to shadow if I am new to PRS?

Looking to get into the series, curious where to get started?
You can shadow events on YouTube. Let Dane the MD know when arrive. He builds squads off of experience. People will help you to have a great shoot. Go for it! It's a brand new year…

Is this the kind of event to shadow if I am new to PRS?

Looking to get into the series, curious where to get started?
Don't shadow it... Come and shoot it. If you come and watch it you will wish you were shooting. Lots of us from SW WA will be shooting the match.

Happy New Year

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads