JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Biggest benefit of the gun is the shooter, shooting data and reloads.

Something simple in a 308 with a good scope (leopould)(

I want to build a cats meow that will take out something at 1500yds + and wondering your opinion on what your dream rig would look like.

Limitations: a common round and something I can carry and not lug arround.

Uh, a gun that does the biz at 1500yds + and a gun that you don't have to lug around are two different guns, IMO. More to the point - how much of a + is the +?

AFAIK there is no lightweight 20mm, but I'm prepared to be surprised.

If money is no object, then look at the DSR-1 in .308Win, or the bigger [and less luggable' .338LM].

If American-built is your ideal, then Cheytac is the way to go - but easy on the back they ain't.

You didn't say what you want to 'take out' at 1500+ yards...

tac, puzzled
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

The Prairie Gun Works guys look like they build a SWEET rifle.

But maybe a Jarrett rifle would be more realistic for carry........I'd talk to both of them before I decided.

Though 338 Laupua is not readily available, I definately would be considering a 300win mag for this job.

Well, guys, I have to say that I'm concerned about shooting anything sub-.338LM at 1500yds '+'

The OP has to be a remarkable rifleman to even consider it. I know that I'm not.

And for the record, the world record 'snipe' is now held by a Brit - over 2700m taking out a machine gun team and their gun with three consecutive shots in Helmand last year.

Guess you didn't hear about that, eh?

tac
Supporter of the Cape meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

PS - he used an AI in .338LM, NOT a .50cal.....

Well, Sir - I applaud your good taste in picking the same rifle that most of NATO and much of the rest of the Free World also picked, the Accuracy International AW in 7.62x51/.308Win, but for the life of me I can't see it as a 1500yd + rifle - the funny thing is, nor can any of us who actually use it as a working tool - THOSE ranges belong to the .338LM.

That's why we carry the .338LM - to reach those parts where the 7.62x51 is marginal, or simply outranged.

tac, a 33-year soldier

No question, IDF Sholef..
1210000nz5.jpg

Okay, okay, fine...
M82A3 w/ various rounds...

For me it would be the CheyTac M310.408 w/McMillan A5, glass would be a Zeiss Hensoldt 3X12X56 SSG-P and the Zeiss NSV 80 attachment.
But for now i will have to settle on the .338 Edge/USO i have in the planning stage. ( just need to decide on the barrel) :D
RK

KittySniper.jpg

I'd go with whatever he's using. That there, boys and girls, is a professional. This rifle is lightweight and easy to pack. And this kitty was hitting mice out to 1700 yards.

We have a forum member here, who is a custom gunsmith in long range rifles. He will build you a 338 Cheytac, all new for 3,000. Custom action, brake, light weight stock. I think he said at 12 pounds with 28 inch barrel.

John

For me it would be the CheyTac M310.408 w/McMillan A5, glass would be a Zeiss Hensoldt 3X12X56 SSG-P and the Zeiss NSV 80 attachment.
But for now i will have to settle on the .338 Edge/USO i have in the planning stage. ( just need to decide on the barrel) :D
RK

I had to look up half of what he posted here bt YEAH!!! I like that. Wish I had the ching for that.

I am also a fan of the good old semi auto barret .50 of course.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top