JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Don't expect any Katrina style looting in Moore tonight. Unlike New Orleans during the first day of Katrina, these people seem to want to help each other out. A lot of footage of people digging each other out, praying.....although I'm sure most of them are gun owners out there, guns won't be needed tonight.

They had a F5 follow a similar path in 1999. A lot of residents took measures to prepare for a possible future tornado after that. Above and below ground small bunkers (above ground ones to withstand drastic impacts and/or 250mph winds). Inventors came forward with all sorts of ideas such as beds that were actually mini-bunkers where the box spring normally goes, bolted down into the floor.

Hopefully many lives were saved because some people took the time and effort to prepare the best they could.

Tonight there is no running water in Moore, so again, those that had some sort of back up plan like water/food in bunker, are probably doing better than the average person.

People will hopefully reap the benefits of making a survival effort on their own behalf beforehand while inept Fema bumbles the job for all the others who look to mommy government to save them.

The OP is correct. Unlike NYC and New Orleans at least there will be good people helping out their neighbors in need right from the get go. Less people looking to take advantage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Home Depot is handing out goods, The Dallas Minute Men are on scene, G Beck Is broadcasting on site, he arrived at 5 AM, his emergancy support crew arrived before FEMA apparently many do not have adequate clothing or shoes.
Toby Keith lives in Moore
Beck has received $121K (unsolicited) for relief aid from his listeners. And yes the community is self rescueing

Demographics and location. My HK gunsmith is there and I just talked to him. Would not want to be the fool who messed with him. He shoots full auto nearly every day

Yep, that area of OK is much different than New Orleans. I highly doubt there will be any looting or any problems for that matter. I used to live between Moore and OKC when I was stationed at Tinker AFB.

Yep some areas people help each other and in some areas people try to take advantage of each other.

Just like when Joplin, MO., got hit by one a bout 3 years ago joplin mo tornado - Google Search

I lived in South Central MO, for about 4 yrs, OK, MO and such are in the center of Tornado Alley, I saw where lots of Micro Tornado's had hit peoples homes and straight line winds had decimated homes and hay barns (which are generally built three times stronger than most homes).

A lot of people there have learned from Tornado's and put in basements, bought generator's, and done all of the preparations a person should do, But as you can imagine there are some where ever you who just say ah I ain't gonna worry about it, if it happens someone else will bail me out or someone will come rescue me.

If I knew someone there and they had taken all possible precautions and needed something I would help, but I currently do not.

I may have gotten hard over the years, but ain't no one there helped me out when I was hurting and actually homeless for a little while and starving. Feel for them I do, but right now I have to prepare for my future and take care of my own household.

I use to be the first to step in and help but after getting pooped on so many times and then people started to expect people to take care of them, I just say well whatever.

If it was right here around me or family that was trying and took all necessary precautions it would be different, or it was someone I knew or my neighbors it would be different. But it ain't so I am go on about my own business.

HK, it looks like you learned the lesson of No Good Deed Goes Unpunished.

Most of the time it is absolutely true, and you are also correct about looking out for Numero Uno.

The time for doing things like saving the country, phony politics, etc, are past and futile endeavors at this point.

I also am a very generous person and I find myself reasoning it out; stopping myself from taking the time/effort/money to help people out before 9 out of 10 times they'll take a huge dump on you for your efforts.

Yep some areas people help each other and in some areas people try to take advantage of each other.

Just like when Joplin, MO., got hit by one a bout 3 years ago joplin mo tornado - Google Search

I lived in South Central MO, for about 4 yrs, OK, MO and such are in the center of Tornado Alley, I saw where lots of Micro Tornado's had hit peoples homes and straight line winds had decimated homes and hay barns (which are generally built three times stronger than most homes).

A lot of people there have learned from Tornado's and put in basements, bought generator's, and done all of the preparations a person should do, But as you can imagine there are some where ever you who just say ah I ain't gonna worry about it, if it happens someone else will bail me out or someone will come rescue me.

If I knew someone there and they had taken all possible precautions and needed something I would help, but I currently do not.

I may have gotten hard over the years, but ain't no one there helped me out when I was hurting and actually homeless for a little while and starving. Feel for them I do, but right now I have to prepare for my future and take care of my own household.

I use to be the first to step in and help but after getting pooped on so many times and then people started to expect people to take care of them, I just say well whatever.

If it was right here around me or family that was trying and took all necessary precautions it would be different, or it was someone I knew or my neighbors it would be different. But it ain't so I am go on about my own business.
I was just impressed with citizens digging out neighbors. Not waiting on police or fire dept.. As far as financial help we give a modest amount regularly to charity in proportion to our
modest income. Keeping my head above water and not living beyond my means is a form of charity IMHO. I've paid a lot of taxes over the years and luckily never been on unemployment yet. Living in Oregon has been a financial challenge though.

I am from Oklahoma and used to storm chase for channel 9 Gary Englands station.
The one thing living in that area teaches you is to help your neighbors and community. Local stores and companies shut down and pay thier people to help or operate on skeleton crews so employees can help.
It always amazed the storm chasers who where attending OU from the east or west coast areas how fast everyone in the hard hit areas were out and helping each other as fast as the storm was over.
The other thing is it teaches one to be prepared, a lot of the folks with storm cellers have food and water in them, some have a/c with protected generators attached to thier shelters. I can say for some strange reason it seems very few have extra clothes in thier shelters, still haven't figured that one out.
In Moore and Newcastle one wont have to worry aout looting but if it was downtown it would be a diffrent story.
The farmers and ranchers in the area will get together and see who is worse off and start repairs from there.
I can tell you the way folks come together in bad times in the areas of tornado alley is nothing but amazing!!!!
I only wish I could have gotten back to help this time, I would have been with my same group that went up in May of '99. As sad as it was it made one proud and showed that there is still some GOOD in The U.S of A.

Last Edited:
My fellow Oklahomians are good people and Moore is a pretty good town though.I would imagine if it were in a certain low income city the results would be different.

Being in a tornado is like watching the world end. scariest thing I have seen, Seems unnatural almost beautiful.

Not to take anything away from what people are doing, helping eachother and the community out, but a direct comparrison to other disasters is not quite fair. While the destruction is devastating, it is fairly localized. The entire region is not dealing with the same problems, so "help" will come quicker, and it is not as hard to get away from the destruction.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top