JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm just curious to hear other people's thoughts in case I'm not thinking of something; what's the best place to store emergency water in your house? Does anyone see any problem with storing emergency water under the bed?

It seems logical since it's out of sunlight, utilizes precious space, and usually temperature controlled. But someone wondered about in case of a severe earthquake, the bed may crush the water underneath if it collapses. But if an earthquake is that strong, I don't think any place in a house would be safe. In fact, I would think under the bed would shield the water from falling debris more than any other place in the house? Or maybe there are other issues that I'm not thinking of? Or are there other places that people recommend?

I know it's not a major issue but I'd love to hear people's thoughts if any. Thanks in advance for all your answers.

Genius! Have a little fridge right by the bed too though..

th?&id=OIP.M5be19a5cf307de2f9bc51555bea467b6H0&w=245&h=182&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg

I just bought 6 Black (Food Grade) 50 Gallon drums, filled them with water and put them behind my shop. Then I'll replace the water every 6 months.

Consider what may happen to your house after an earthquake? We instead place our water containers in a larger containment vessel. Our are about 16" by 38" by 6" or so? Translucent plastic with lids. The lids do not fit. The plastic water bottles are too high.

The containment container is there to catch the usual small leaks that develop from many water bottles over time. Then we place the containment tubs next to a bearing wall. This means the floor is directly and closely supported by vertical walls or foundations.

Also consider keeping the water jugs, bottles, etc.. away from any material or food that emits a strong odor or potential chemical problem if breached. Onions and garlic come to mind. Also bleach and some soaps and household cleaners. The water will taste bad.

Edited by HB. About 6 x 15 x 33. One liter reused thicker water bottles.

Wherever it fits, you can get to it when/if you need it and it is reasonably protected is where you should store it.

We have about 50 gallons stored but then our water comes from a 5,000 gallon above ground tank fed by a spring and gravity fed to our house...That goes south, we have a couple of ponds in walking distance or all the salt water we can boil 2 miles away. Rain catchment is available if need.

Brutus Out

You could have a waterbed mattress, and then in times of trouble, you could drink your bed!

I knew a guy who used to keep his booze under his bed so his wife wouldn't find it. She wasn't a good housekeeper.

I knew an old guy who hid his whisky inside a 25' water hose that was hung up on a nail out in his garden shed.
His wife never stopped looking for his stash, but couldn't ever find it.
Any time he wanted a snort, he would mosey on out to the shed and take a pull.

This month it's time to change out the water stored in our containers. And, this year we are slowly emptying them into the basement laundry sink, then toting them out to the garage, refilling them and stacking in the garage. I have pioneer tools that can penetrate a collapsed garage to retrieve gear and water! We've been moving gear, food, etc to the garage almost a year now.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top