JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It finally happened, after going thru the hassle of getting a UPIN for constant delays (took 7 months to get it) I finally got a "delay" response on a firearms purchase even with a UPIN. Since I obtained the UPIN I have had 2 firearms purchases go straight thru without the UPIN and another 4 purchases that required the UPIN, but never got a delay with it until today.

The letter they send you with your UPIN states that just because you have the UPIN does not mean that you will always get a “proceed” response from them, so I am not surprised. They have everything short a blood and stool sample on me for my UPIN and they still can’t get it right, amazing!

Anyone else here ever have a "delay" response on a firearms purchase with a UPIN? Just curious! - G

No criminal history here, I have never been a prohibited possessor. With that said I too have a UPIN.

I also have an Oregon CHL, WA CPL and AZ CCW.

I was delayed 50% of the time before I had the UPIN. I have never been delayed since receiving my UPIN.

I worked in a gun store in AZ for 2 years before coming back up the PNW, never in my time there did I see a UPIN go to delayed status.

With all of that said, its the FBI NICS and I sure hope you didn't expect logic or common sense to prevail.

Lol gubmint efficiency.

Good luck man.

Thanks, never had anything more than a parking ticket in 50+ years on this earth. I have the same, WA, AZ and OR permits also. I prefer my AZ permit in AZ firearms purchases that bypasses the NICS check, hopefully in this next legislative session here in WA they will approve that for us here in this state also. Sen. Kline back burnered it last session in a hissy fit and posted a YouTube video response on why he did it.

I have the same name as someone who earned themselves a military dishonorable discharge (I have never been in the military) a few years ago and that's when my nightmare began. I got a surprise denial a couple years ago. That was when I was made aware of the name issue with NICS.

Did a few purchases afterwards, with 8 out of 10 being delayed. Got the UPIN to avoid the headache of the constant delays but as you see, got my first delay last Monday. Can go pick up my purchase Friday, seems like NICS doesn't even call back anymore with a proceed, they just let the 3 days time run out. Hate this system. Pain in the rear if you're stuck in its purgatory! -G

I just got delayed at Fred Meyer-----waited the required 5 days,only to find out its Fred Meyer's policy to not sell me the pistol if nics doesn't call back within the 5 days.Only wish the salesman told me up front.

I get delayed even with the UPIN when dealer uses the computer to do the NICS check. Every time the dealer immediatly called NICS and asked why the delay as I had a UPIN and after a couple minutes they would give a proceed. Never had a delay when they phone call NICS but it takes a few minutes longer than others as they transfer through three people on their end. I have heard the dealer remind them about the UPIN on a couple calls.
It's nice to deal with ffls that aren't afraid to ask them a question.

I just got delayed tonight. I went to pick up my Mosin M38, which I was looking forward to getting it off of layaway and BAM! the first time I've ever been delayed in 9 purchases. I was so disappointed to have to wait. ....growl.....

I got a delay here in Oregon a few months back after not purchasing a firearm in a store setting about 4years, where a check is required. Took 3 days to get the go ahead. The Oregon delay check number is 5033731808. My understanding is Oregon recently hired about 30 New people in the background check office to help speed things up. Hope the washington office gets there stuff together.

Washington doesnt have an office for background checks like Oregon does.

Most all states in the USA use the FBI NICS center for checks.

Oregon, being special uses the Oregon State Patrol ON top of a NICS check. That is why many dealers charge a fee for the background check. They charge it because the OSP charges it.

When I worked at a gun store in Arizona we would call the 4473 in directly to the FBI NICS. Here i Washington my FFL does the same. The only difference here is that on a pistol you have have to fill out an additional form.

I just got delayed at Fred Meyer-----waited the required 5 days,only to find out its Fred Meyer's policy to not sell me the pistol if nics doesn't call back within the 5 days.Only wish the salesman told me up front.

I had the same problem with a 2 simultaneous delays at Big 5 sporting goods here in Seattle. Went to purchase a shotgun at Big 5 in Kent earlier this year on a Monday – Delayed. Next day or so went to Big 5 in Federal Way to see if I could get a proceed on the same on sale shotgun with a different transaction and NICS check – Delayed. After 10+ days neither Big 5 had a proceed and they would not call NICS to check. Their policy is not to release firearms unless NICS gives them a proceed, sounds like Fred Meyer has the same policy.

I had to go down to AZ during that NICS delay time and decided to go into Big 5 down there and get the same shotgun that was still on sale. Laid down my Drivers License, my AZ CCW permit, credit card, filled out 4473 and headed out the door with my shotgun in hand. No NICS BS to deal with. Already had my shotgun back in WA and was still on NICS delay on both of the WA Big 5 shotgun purchases. I NEVER got a proceed from either Big 5 even after 30 days. Called both of them and asked what the deal was, both said I would have to come in and repurchase the shotgun again after the 30 day mark on hold. Needless to say I will not be purchasing from Big 5 again.

I did get a proceed on my first UPIN NICS delay I got this week on Thursday (2 day delay) and picked up my firearm. I really don't get this system. Went down to Oregon last week and purchased a rifle at Keith's Guns in Gresham, no problem, go figure. So the wheels on the NICS machine roll on. Thanks for everyone's feedback and input on my post. Be safe! -G

gcban, you nailed with the store policy thing.

I have only seen it happen once but at the store I worked at we had a customer get delayed. Told him three days unless we call you and you can come pick it up. He came it 6 business days later as he was busy with work. We transferred the firearm to him and all was well.

1.5 weeks later the FBI NICS calls about that same transfer telling us he was denied and asked if we transferred the firearm. Well crap yes we did, with a very condescending and accusatory attitude they asked for his information and said they would be back in touch with us. That was the last I heard of it.

I assume this is what the big box marts are trying to avoid.

You are also correct though on the ease of purchasing firearms in AZ with a CCW. Fill out forms, show ID and CCW and be on your way. It was awesome and I do wish it was that way here. No more bureaucratic bs.

The NICS Examiner will provide the FFL with the date of the third business day after the firearm check was initiated. Business days do not include the day the check was initiated, Saturdays, Sundays, and any day state offices in the state of purchase are closed. If the FFL has not received from the NICS a final determination after three business days have elapsed since the delay response, it is within the FFL's discretion whether or not to transfer the firearm (if state law permits the transfer). If the FFL transfers the firearm, the FFL must mark "No resolution was provided within three business days" on line 21d of the ATF Form 4473. It is recommended the FFL record the date provided in the delay response on which the firearm may be lawfully transferred under federal law if a final determination of proceed or denied is not received from the NICS.

So I have a upin and conceal pistol license and and I am always delayed when they do it through the computer and most chain stores won't even call nics on the phone what can I do to expedite this process

This is a old thread.
But if you live in Washington state.
It doesn't matter now.
If you have a CPL UPIN OR WHAT EVER.
1639 .
EVERY ONE WAITS NOW

I am lucky enough to share the same name and birth date as some piece of $#!+ in Southern Washington that has lead a life on the wild side so I started getting delayed alot so I aquired a UPIN #

When I first got it every gun transaction went smooth.
Then when they started the electronic NICS checks it was probably 70% delayed, if it was called in it was 100% proceed.

With the Upin number and Washington,Oregon, Arizona, Florida, Utah, pennyslvania pistol permits and a Class 3 FFL (C&R Permit) one would think you shouldn,t need a damn NICS CHECK.

It finally happened, after going thru the hassle of getting a UPIN for constant delays (took 7 months to get it) I finally got a "delay" response on a firearms purchase even with a UPIN. Since I obtained the UPIN I have had 2 firearms purchases go straight thru without the UPIN and another 4 purchases that required the UPIN, but never got a delay with it until today.

The letter they send you with your UPIN states that just because you have the UPIN does not mean that you will always get a proceed response from them, so I am not surprised. They have everything short a blood and stool sample on me for my UPIN and they still cant get it right, amazing!

Anyone else here ever have a "delay" response on a firearms purchase with a UPIN? Just curious! - G
Just happened to me after buying 40 guns in the past with my upin,I got a delay.This is bull bubblegum,bad enough I live in NY ordered a 22 mag bolt action,it got delayed.I also ordered ammo from cabelas and was completely wrong ,had wrong pic, beware cabelas site and products states images may be different from actual product,REALLY? Wont be ordering anything from these idiots again,got a refund and now my gun is in limbo?Now what wait 30 days for for our corrupt government to screw me

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top