JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That clearance time is nuts. I'll look forward to seeing the numbers in their next report (though not sure when it is due), but no way they're clearing the 5k-6kish per week they have been in years past…
Last check I did, they were moving at a rate of clearing 3 days worth of checks every 7 days. They're slow-walking the process.

My guess is that in the next couple of weeks OSP will get past the Christmas sales and the que will start moving faster. The process is very frustrating for me. Not only do I have a CHL , I also have a Class 06 FFL and I renewed them both in the last month, meaning from here to Virginia and back everyone is ok with who I am and what I do. But here I sit in the que just like everyone else. I wasn't going to buy any guns thinking I didn't want to be part of the problem, but then I found one I just had to have at a price I was willing to pay so here I sit practicing patience, something I'm not particularly good at.

@street Can you even get the reports anymore?

OSP used to publish monthly reports of how many FICS checks they would do along with approval/denial numbers. From what I see, they quit doing that in June 2018, but you can still find the old reports in the state archives.

For example, in December 2017 OSP processed 32,798 total FICS transactions....over 1,000 per day on average.

-E-

@street Can you even get the reports anymore?

OSP used to publish monthly reports of how many FICS checks they would do along with approval/denial numbers. From what I see, they quit doing that in June 2018, but you can still find the old reports in the state archives.

For example, in December 2017 OSP processed 32,798 total FICS transactions....over 1,000 per day on average.

-E-
Yes, based on the annual reports of yearly transactions they would have to average around 1000 a day. They have moved to less transparency over time and the annual reports are next to gibberish. A bureacracy that should not even exist. Should be direct ffl to nics like many other states.

CHL holder. Delayed 9 months. Purchased guns in 2020. No issue. You are going to have to appeal delay. Get fingerprint card at local agency. Then send it along with full name and DOB to OSP HQ stating you want to appeal delay. They will send you all info they have. Then you can dispute the record and have it corrected. Timely process. This is being done on purpose to limit peoples rights. Anyone with anything on their record will be delayed indefinitely until permit law is upheld.

Here's the form

Screenshot_20230317_140415_Edge.jpg

FWIW -
Tigard Pawn is still doing 5 Day transfers. (3 day with a weekend...?)

I bought a pistol in Keizer on 2/18/23 was placed at 20k plus and called today to check progress. They said they're going by date now and the current date being processed is Jan 17th.

But on a different thread someone said they purchased on Feb 2 and picked up the gun last week? So it's kinda willy nilly from what I've seen.

I purchased a rifle at Bi Mart on January 21st. Was 11,500ish in the que. 2 weeks ago I was 2000ish in the que. Have purchased 3 handguns since January 21st, Instant clear on all 3. Can someone please explain this?

Agreed. My primary FFL mentioned to me that an OSP examiner commented to him about the lack of experience with counter help at places like Bi Mart.

Still, it is unconscionable in this day and age that an "instant check" should take more than 15 seconds. As taxpayers, we have certainly paid for top of the line super computers fully capable of handling the task.

They can get my taxes done right away. Why not my background check?

Oh yeah, that's right..........

I think my delay was caused because on my driver's license my middle name is not listed but it is on my chl. The clerk at Cascade farm and outdoor insisted on using my license instead of my chl even though I asked him to just use my chl.

He said my chl isn't a government issued form of id so he had to have my license and "it'll show that I have a chl through the dmv..."

I didn't realized the chl had my middle name and license didn't until I started reading post here once I found this forum a week ago. Next time I'll remember to make sure middle name is spelled out and hope I go back to no que wait.

Finally! Was cleared today to take possession of my 1/21/22 purchase.

Interesting that since it has been more than 30 days since my initial purchase (OSP submission), Bi Mart has to call OSP to see if I am STILL a responsible citizen (since it has been more than 30 days from my initial request to the Crown). Is that process "instant"? Seems to be.

Funny how that all works.

WMB

Finally! Was cleared today to take possession of my 1/21/22 purchase.

Interesting that since it has been more than 30 days since my initial purchase (OSP submission), Bi Mart has to call OSP to see if I am STILL a responsible citizen (since it has been more than 30 days from my initial request to the Crown). Is that process "instant"? Seems to be.

Funny how that all works.

WMB
On Friday the osp were clearing Jan 17th so it's good they're at least 4 days further along after 2 days. Now if they could speed it up a little more I might get my gun by Easter lol.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top