JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Who is "they"?
It's a gun show. The people that sell guns at the show call into the BGC system with the required 4473 info. They are FFL gun dealers and sellers. Were you thinking is was the lady selling Bennie Babys or the Mountain Man guy selling his nuts?

Come on over and talk to them yourself if you're skeptical. Stop by my table to say hi and throw a few bucks into the OFF donation box. I'm also selling small pistol primers and donating the money to OFF.

There is also more ammo for sale than I've seen in a long time. Lots of primers at one of the vendor tables as well.

It's a gun show. The people that sell guns at the show call into the BGC system with the required 4473 info. They are FFL gun dealers and sellers. Were you thinking is was the lady selling Bennie Babys or the Mountain Man guy selling his nuts?

Come on over and talk to them yourself if you're skeptical. Stop by my table to say hi and throw a few bucks into the OFF donation box. I'm also selling small pistol primers and donating the money to OFF.

There is also more ammo for sale than I've seen in a long time. Lots of primers at one of the vendor tables as well.
When you said they I was thinking it might be centralized somehow. Are FFLs not allowed to use the computerized bg check system at a gun show?

I was always instant too, every single time for the last couple decades, until a couple weeks ago at BiMart. He said I went to the back of the line like almost everyone else, and that it would be two months. He wouldn't even tell me how long the line was, just that they go by date now, and they're currently working on BGCs from early December.

He said that instant was hit and miss, mostly miss, and that if it wasn't instant then everyone went to the back of the line. I was told yesterday by a vendor at a gun show that they were going through pretty fast, couple days at most, but that info conflicts with my experience at BiMart. I think there's some misinformation or misunderstanding somewhere.

What is the current numbers ?

and if a gun store is using the federally legal 3 day safe guard in place and purchaser takes possession but then the BGC expires before it can be completed by OSP .... what then?

What is the current numbers ?

and if a gun store is using the federally legal 3 day safe guard in place and purchaser takes possession but then the BGC expires before it can be completed by OSP .... what then?
The queue size is a bit over 20K. The FFL has to resubmit it when the original one expires. In believe they get notified when the approval comes after 30 days and resubmit the form over the phone. I think the federal check has been processed by then, so it is all internal bookkeeping. I have been buying guns since November and not a single check was instant approval even after my original checks cleared the queue. It makes no sense.

An outfit near me said that they release the firearms within three business days to people with chl's. My question is is what if the law goes into affect before my background is actually cleared does that mean I would have to get a permit even after it's been issued to me.

An outfit near me said that they release the firearms within three business days to people with chl's. My question is is what if the law goes into affect before my background is actually cleared does that mean I would have to get a permit even after it's been issued to me.
Nobody really knows and opining would just be conjecture. What caveats are put in place once the law (if ever) is an open question. Nothing formally has been announced as there could be 10 of thousands of firearms purchased with waiting checks to be cleared when/if such a law goes into effect...how those situations are going to be addressed, good question with no answers at this point.

At Newberg BI-MART I was told that some people have been at 18K for weeks and I went to 9K right away when we bought a Ruger Maverick on a whim. This was on Sat the 25th. I will check in a couple days and report back. I have a CHL and have purchased several firearms in OR in the past two years fwiw.

People getting delayed are getting screwed. It is a back door waiting period and discourages gun sales. The conspiracist in me says they will never fix it since it is in the gun grabbers interest to allow it.

One of the FFLs at the gun show yesterday said most were taking about 30 minutes. They call them in, not send through the online system.
This confuses me. I was told something like this at the last show I attended, but was later told by a dealer that it's simply not true. He said there are only two types of BGC results at this time-

1. The mythical "instant approval" that happens for a tiny percentage of folks who have some super-secret, top-level clearance for whatever reason nobody knows.
2. The all-encompassing "Queue" that everyone else goes into, that is sitting at two to three months at present. CHL or not, doesn't matter, into the queue you go.

Is this wrong, anybody know? Has anyone in the last two months gotten BGC approval that wasn't either instant or months-long?

This confuses me. I was told something like this at the last show I attended, but was later told by a dealer that it's simply not true. He said there are only two types of BGC results at this time-

1. The mythical "instant approval" that happens for a tiny percentage of folks who have some super-secret, top-level clearance for whatever reason nobody knows.
2. The all-encompassing "Queue" that everyone else goes into, that is sitting at two to three months at present. CHL or not, doesn't matter, into the queue you go.

Is this wrong, anybody know? Has anyone in the last two months gotten BGC approval that wasn't either instant or months-long?
I think you are correct. They changed the queue from CHL's up front to first in, first out. Now you either get an approval in short time, "instant", or get placed in the queue. Since they are doing instants, the people in the queue are getting dragged out. There is only speculation on why you may go instant or into the queue.

I suspect the real reasons people get placed in the queue are not something they want to share. Otherwise, they would be transparent.

I suspect the real reasons people get placed in the queue are not something they want to share. Otherwise, they would be transparent.
As was discussed earlier in the thread, "instant" was a bit unclear.

I was always cleared right away, what I previously considered "instant", always took just a few minutes. It was minutes even when there was a long queue, up until just a couple months ago. Clearly I'm far from the only one. Always took minutes in the past, now taking months. Apparently true "instant" is actually something else, and I never really was part of that exclusive club.

Thousands and thousands of CHL holders, vetted and background-checked time and time again, the most law-abiding group of people in the state, and we're all thrown into the queue to wait it out with everyone else. The real reason? Probably just to slow down the process. I can't think of anything else that makes any sense.

Entered queue 11/21/22
moved to hard queue with no q number
purged from queue Feb. 5th called in to do a new BGC
checked today still says expected date 2/27/23
expect to be purged again soon.
had a full FBI check last Aug. one contempt of court for not paying a fine
30+ years ago has No disposition, I think the judge didn't want to see me again. still not anything that would disqualify me but could be delayed indefinitely.?.?
asked if I could transfer my purchase to another FFL that would do a 3 day transfer, they said they would the other FFL could pick it up or they would ship for a fee.
My FFL is in west Eugene are there any FFL's close by that will do a 3 day release.?
if you are delayed a long time this may be of help.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top