JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently picked up an Aero M5E1. After telling my self many times I was not going to buy an AR platform, I did. And let me tell you: I am excited to take it out. It will be mostly a range rifle, but I went .308 over 5.56 for possible hunting purposes. Hoping to hit the range Monday.

Current outfit
-Stock rifle
-American Defense QD mount
-Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40

Future plans
-Sling (Suggestions? Set up for Magpul QD)
-BUIS (likely never to be used, but rather to have and not need than the alternative)
-Hand stop (maybe AFG instead)
-I need a range bag for it, I have seen the cheap stuff fall apart and there is a lot in the $50-90 range that I figure would hold up. What are you using? I figure taking 3 mags will be my norm, plus ammo in a can.

I need to start collecting tools and spare parts, and thats where I could really use some help. Can most AR15 tools cross over to the DPMS/LR .308 platform? I know brushes are obviously different, but otherwise? As far as spare parts, I was thinking about this kit or similar to fill that need.
DPMS AR-10 Repair Kit

And for those who might end up curious, mounted using a Hold Up Displays mount.
20181124_191724.jpg

Some parts are interchangable between AR-10 and AR15 and some are not, plenty of lists online.

The one plus I like Is the little screw for the bolt catch but there are a few pros and cons to both.

Building them is addictive. I wish there was more rifles and pistols that you could build like the AR platform.

As for slings I have a few, I like my Magpul, if you are set up for it why not try it.

As for range bags I have one from Allen and a brownells one, both worked great when I actually went to the range. Now adays I don't need a range bag.

I carry it out and shoot. I use a tiny backpack to carry my ammo in. Helps when the range is your backyard. But I always feel a little silly walking around outside with an AR in my right hand... Like what if the UPS guy drives up, I hope I don't give him a heart attack.

Anyway, welcome to the enjoyment of the modular modern hobby rifle. Hopefully more will come.

Magpul all the things.

Magpul BUIS are good and basic. Another option you might want to consider would be magpul pro offset irons, so you could use them with your scope in place.

A don't love handstops. I always end up using a short magpul VFG as a handstop. I pull the gun into my shoulder using it. Also works as a monopod.

I use magpul slings. Easy to adjust quickly.

While you are at it, try a magpul k2 grip.

Soare parts... Buy lota of mags now while you can. Pick up a spare lower parts kit sans trigger, upgrade your trigger and keep. The original as a backup. Just buy an entire spare BCG, and you will be covered for almost any failure.

Glad your happy. Nice looking rifle.

I would say there is nothing wrong with 308, But 5.56 is where the AR really shines.
100 rounds of 5.56 is about the same weight as 100 rounds of 9mm. So you can carry a lot. And you get close to 1300fp of energy from the 5.56 in a handy carbine.

Over three times the energy of the same weight pistol ammo.

And ammo for the 5.56 is about $270 or so for 1000 rounds of M193 55 grain. And just under $300 for M855.

Good news is there has never been a better time to pick up an AR-15. Or 5.56 ammo.
So get going on that collection. :s0155:

For backup sights I prefer the flip up Troy battles sights for front and rear one myself. They are more expensive than the Magpul ones.

Primary Arms has them discounted right now though.

Troy Industries Rear Folding BattleSight - Black SSIG-FBS-R0BT-00

I bought a Magpul single point sling adapter and a Magpul single point sling. But I have a two point sling for my HD AR since it is easier to put on in an emergency. I can put my single point sling on pretty quick if I have it attached to my AR but not as fast as my two point sling.

Last Edited:
That is a fine choice for an all purpose rifle. 5.56 is fine for some things but 308 is a much better for hunting and barrier penetration. Enjoy!

Future plans
-Sling (Suggestions? Set up for Magpul QD)
Look at Blue Force Gear for very high quality slings at reasonable cost.

-BUIS (likely never to be used, but rather to have and not need than the alternative)
Another vote for Troy....get over to Primary Arms and grab them on sale now.
Recommend the round aperture.

-Hand stop (maybe AFG instead)
Not a fan, but would look at Magpul for this.

Nice rig, BTW.

Pssst.... his is an AR10 in .308.... scope is fine. ;)

I totally agree with Stomper. I use a 4.5-14x42 on my AR10, but also occasionally shoot steel past 400 yards with it. It's nice to have the extra X's, when stretching it out a bit. Heck, I even use 14x at 100 yards. By no means is the OP's rifle "over scoped".. OP, let us know how she shoots. I'm an ar newbie as well as a big fan of them.

I totally agree with Stomper. I use a 4.5-14x42 on my AR10, but also occasionally shoot steel past 400 yards with it. It's nice to have the extra X's, when stretching it out a bit. Heck, I even use 14x at 100 yards. By no means is the OP's rifle "over scoped".. OP, let us know how she shoots. I'm an ar newbie as well as a big fan of them.
The VX3i's are very nice scopes.
The OP has good taste.

Look at Blue Force Gear for very high quality slings at reasonable cost.

Another vote for Troy....get over to Primary Arms and grab them on sale now.
Recommend the round aperture.

Not a fan, but would look at Magpul for this.

Nice rig, BTW.

I have a Blue Force Gear padded two point sling. Very well made and trouble free.

I have put the Magpul AFG on my home built AR and they work quite nice for the cost. Also added a light mount that sports a Streamlight TLR-HL light.

BCE2BEB7-E032-458D-BF21-2495F55CE9D4.jpeg

Last Edited:
That is a fine choice for an all purpose rifle. 5.56 is fine for some things but 308 is a much better for hunting and barrier penetration. Enjoy!

Yes. 308 is much better for hunting and barrier penetration. No argument there.
But there are better 308 caliber guns out there. [Most all of them]

And in my opinion the AR platform is only a good rifle because it's light and handy. Accurate enough. Powerful enough. And there are parts for it everywhere. And there cheap!

It's the one I'd grab on the way out the door. If I had to carry all my ammo.
And I don't consider the AR the best weapon to launch 5.56 rounds. But it is the most popular. And that's a convenient reality I choose to exploit.

The 308 AR doesn't have the 5.56 rifles virtues. Just it's shortcomings.

I partially will disagree, it has the accuracy and easy parts upgrades like the ar15 which is a plus. I have not shot my Ar 10's enough to wring out all the weaknesses so I won't argue about potential reliability issues. I would probably grab one of my Fal's for shtf situation.

Just thought of something else that bit me.

Get Magpul magazines, my particular 308 doesn't like the steel GI mags, but loves the Magpul ones.... And if you stick a wrap on it then it may not drop free.

That may just be my lower though. Also my stock trigger had problems with surplus ammo, I popped in a CMC trigger and it's eaten everything I fed it so far.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top