JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just moved to North Western Washington State. I previously lived in RI where you could not use rifles to hunt big game. I love the sport and plan to continue hunting out here. I was wondering What make/caliber rifle is a good all around rifle to use out here to hunt big game. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Shane

Welcome to the PNW!

Fortunately, with the exception of California, the west coast is pretty accommodating to Gun enthusiasts. I myself find that a good 30.06 always gets the job done. It's my personal preference, though I'm sure there are plenty of other opinions.

Welcome!

Your question has many answers, depending on where you plan on hunting and for what game.

The best elk hunter i have ever known, only uses a 30-30 win 94, with open sights. He hunts in the thick timber of the coast range.
The only problem he has ever had, is when he come out of the thick timber and sees elk in a clearcut 300+ yards away.

I have used many rifles over the years, from 30-30 to 338. I have 2 that are my go to rifles, now. A win 270 and a browning 338, both topped with nikon optics.

You may find this link of some help-
NWFA http://www.northwestfirearms.com/hunting/49302-opinions-what-gun-get.html

Welcome to the PNW, just in time for the rainy season even.

I have my uncle's old 30-06, and I bought a 300 WM, before short magnums were made.

If I was starting anew, I would buy two rifles, nice light easy caliber for deer, antelope, something like a .243, 260 rem. small and light. For elk then go big 300wsm, 338, but that is me and it gives an excuse to buy another gun.

If you're talking general purpose hunting for any big-game mammal in the Northwest and you only have a limited choice, IMHO the 30.06 is the only way to go - Reloading is a breeze and there is a very wide range of bullet weights that are effective for the platform. I love that I can download a reload to make it tolerable for my wife and daughter for target practice and still have ballistic integrity; then they carry stouter loads for hunting and never know the difference when the adrenaline is pumpng.

Otherwise the best rifle choice is "one of each, please."

The best rifle is the one you can shoot accurately. Shot placement is much more important than caliber. If you plan on staying on the wet side, forget the long range shots and think more about quick handling. If you come over to the dry side to hunt, longer range is more likely.

There is no one caliber that fits every purpose, but high powered magnums are more likely to get you flinching. Lighter recoil, less flinch. Figure out where you wish to do most of your hunting and then go from there.

BTW, NW WA, most of the area west of Interstate 5 is shotgun (or bow) only. You should feel right at home hunting there. However, there is very little public land west of I5 so you might be challenged that way. East of I5 there is a lot of public and timber co land that is more or less open to hunting.

I have the following rifles .22-250, 243, 25.06, 270, 30.06. .308 the 30.06 have bullet weights from 55 gr w/plastic sabot at 4000 fps up to 220 grain. It will kill anything you want to hunt. and it is easy to find most
anywhere..

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR