JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings peoples,
Freshly back from the gun show I walked out with a very old Ruger .44 mag carbine.

I have long wanted a small/ short auto-loader rifle that could shoot the same ammo as my pistol and can easily re-load. :s0155:

This rifle just "spoke" to me of the ones I could find they were WELL over $500
even on line nice shape ones were over $600 :s0112:

I hope i didn't get taken when I paid $450 for the one I got. definaatly in "shooter" condition (has a lifetime garruentee from dealer) this is my first purchase from a gunshow:huh:

Also bought a new Buckmark ultragrip target Bull barrel

but my main concern is the .44
what are your thoughts?
experiences?
mods?
advice?
thanks!!
:confused:

I've had a Ruger .44 Carbine for about 20 years. Originally called the "Deerstalker". It is an ideal choice for Coastal blacktail deer hunting, and a buddy borrowed mine for a hog hunt and said the guide wanted to buy it (a fine testimonial). Very reliable, and the only drawback I've ever experienced is when a friend gave me some "mild" .44 Mag handloads. The gun would cycle them most of the time, but not all the time. Fed stout loads (no hitches at all with anything factory, or handloads at least of midrange power), it functions flawlessly. There are also reloading manuals that have a seperate section for rifle-power loads in the .44, including the Deerstalker. You can really stoke them up if you want, but don't put these in a weak pistol.

Old load I used for years: Speer 240g HP, 24.0g IMR4227
Newer load that increased accuracy significantly: Hornady 240g XTP, 24.0g WW296.

As always, start milder, work up, and verify these loads in the book before you toss them into a weak pistol!

I have a gool ol' 2.5x Weaver on mine with a post reticle. Fast on the target.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top