JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, I build parts kits and bend and heat treat my own receivers. It depends on the variant when I trick one out for all the accessories. I have a 7" pistol all the way to a Romy RPK.

So is it less expensive to build from a kit than to purchase an AK already assembled? Why heat treat the receiver? Bend? Jeez I feel like a noob!
Chris

So is it less expensive to build from a kit than to purchase an AK already assembled? Why heat treat the receiver? Bend? Jeez I feel like a noob!
Chris

It used to be less expensive until the price of kits went up. Your biggest expense is going to be tooling. If you are going to make just one rifle, the price of the tooling and the kit out wieghs buying a new one. It would be much cheaper to buy a rifle outright. If you are going to build a few rifles, then the tooling might be worth it. I started this entire as a challenge to see if I could build a working rifle. Along the way I have learned little tricks here and there to make things a little easier. When I got my first kit, it was only $130.00. Now it is hard to find a kit under $300.00. You have to heat treat the inner rails and the Hammer/trigger holes to make them hard so they don't crack or bend. You have to have the tooling to bend a flat into a receiver.

Hmm...this is not an easy choice. I am still leaning towards a Norinco, although FINDING one is another matter. But I would consider a SAR 1. I'll do a bit more research.
Chris

Here ya go... (ps, I have no affiliation with the seller... just saw the add pop up and remember you saying you were leaning norinco....)

<broken link removed>

Romanian Guard parts kits are readily available for around $350. Here's mine built on US made Nodak receiver with US made trigger group, pistol grip and suppressor. It is totally compliant and a solid build with no mag wobble.
DSCI0935.jpg
DSCI0932.jpg

Assembling a AK kit requires a few specialized tools. You may check Curtis Sebring web site ak-builder.com; he has everything except for the 12/20 ton press whick you can get at Harbor Freight. There are many Youtube videos I have not checked out. If you can get your hands on a Moondoggy video CD, please, do. You will need six US made parts to make it NRA compliant, typically: receiver, fire control group (counts as three), hand grip and muzzle break. And, you don't have to rivet the receiver. Actually, all my AKs are screw builds.

My Romy G, made out of a bent flat from Curtis
<broken link removed>

Liking that front grip! How much work does the parts kit need to assemble into a working firearm? As I said early in the thread, I am new to AKs.

hay hakercat I started with a pre-bent reciver and a friend of mine that runs a r.v repair shop assembled the kit with little help from me in an afternoon.[ Ooops i had suppreser on the brain i ment break]

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top