JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Emailed all 3 senators. Even offered to do an in person illustration of the difference between an sbr & pistol ar to help them see just how silly current law is in wa.

I just got a WALEG Committee Agenda Update, SB 5956 is scheduled for a public hearing on 2/26 at 3:30 pm. The executive hearing for other bills is scheduled at the same time. In the past I've seen an executive hearing for a bill done right after a public hearing, so it is possible for the bill to get a pass recommendation on the 26th. Thank you Representative Blake.

If you can be there, please do so. If anyone wants to carpool to Olympia from the Belfair Bremerton area, I can take two people with me.

Randy

Emailed all 3 senators. Even offered to do an in person illustration of the difference between an sbr & pistol ar to help them see just how silly current law is in wa.

My only fear with going that route, esp with anti-gun folks, is that their response will be "Holy S%^t! We need to just outlaw AR pistols too!" With the anti- folks on this issue I like to stick to the "fixing this law only puts WA in line with federal law - people still have to go through a long, thorough, pain-staking, exhaustive involved process through the ATF. I also like to sell it as them essentially supporting universal registration, at least for a certain class of firearm.

Both bill prime sponsors did this with power point presentations in the hearings using lever action rifles.

Randy

SB 5956 is dead. Jinkins will not schedule it for an executive hearing prior to 2/28. Thirteen of us (all pro) showed for the hearing and for the most part it went well. Afterwards one of the other committee members told us there was a chance the Speaker of the House of Representatives (Chopp) might pull the bill for a vote on the House floor, but it is a very slim one.

I'm not sure what course of action to take prior to next session; got months to think about it. All I know is we did a damn good job; we just need to figure out how to get Jinkins to support the bill.

Randy

If you're reading this, take the two seconds to click this link. It will generate an email you can send to Chopp. Just sign it and hit send. Obviously, if you have about 30 seconds it would be better to make it more personal, but I would think that a form email would be better than nothing.

<broken link removed>

Done, and took a few minutes to personalize it. I was even nice about. (Something I do not do with Murray and Cantwell as I always send them links to the state and US Constitutions and ask them to take some time to read them)

The bad: After the hearing we didn't get an executive hearing and a vote, moving it on to the floor.

The good: We received a hearing. Had no hearing on the bill taken place, it would have died by the end of Friday the 28th. SB5956 does have a chance, albeit a slim one, where the speaker of the house has an opportunity to pull the bill to the floor for a vote. I spoke with Brian Blake on my way home and he is working on that process. The bill has the possibility of being used as a pawn to help out another bill, essentially trading passage or death of another bill in exchange for passage of SB 5956.

Running it in a short session was difficult, because of the compressed timelines. We made a lot more headway than the suppressor legislation did in its first two years. Should are Blake not be able to pull the bill, we have laid a lot of ground work for next year.

Good job folks.

Have this in my email this morning. I think this is the fastest response I have ever received.

Dear Rick,

Thank you for taking time to contact our office to voice your support for Senate Bill 5956, concerning short-barreled rifles. I will pass along your comments to Speaker Chopp.

Thank you and have a great day,
Jennifer Johnson

House Democratic Caucus

Legislative Aide, House Democratic Leadership

[email protected]

Washington State House Democrats

I got the same reply from Chopp's office, I think everyone is getting the same thing.

I called Jinkins office and asked why 5956 was killed, aide was not able to tell me why. I was also told that the committee chair does not schedule hearings, it is some other unknown (to the aide) person/group.

Randy

I tried working through Hansen since he is my rep and the vice on the committee. I didn't get to talk to him but his aid said that he had some influence with Jenkins....apparently not enough, if he even supports it or not is still unknown. I think I'll have to swallow my conservatism a bit to try to build a little rapport with him for next year. We really need to spread the word more to get the numbers. I think we could have had a lot more influence if more people would have known this was even a bill.

Last Edited:
Good news. The bill just got pulled out of committee and is headed to the floor for a vote tomorrow. Blake and Hatfield are working on getting sufficient supporting votes on the floor of the house for it, as well as dealing with Inslee's office.

Email your reps folks.

Good news. The bill just got pulled out of committee and is headed to the floor for a vote tomorrow. Blake and Hatfield are working on getting sufficient supporting votes on the floor of the house for it, as well as dealing with Inslee's office.

Email your reps folks.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to send out messages and see if we can drum up extra support.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top