JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What are the odds of this happening in a week? Is there a chance? Not familiar with how these things work. Thanks again for all the work you have done on this!

Link does not work for some reason?

Thanks for the work on this...I just emailed the 'D' folks on the committee.
...I was just thinking to sell my 'pistol' upper too. Had to convert my sbr after moving from OR a few years back, and cannot stand the configuration.
Might just start looking at suppressors again if the SBR bill goes thru.

I have no idea on the odds of the bill getting out of committee, it is up to Padden and he is not talking to me or anyone else who is keeping me informed. But if he is the 2nd amendment supporter he is made out to be, then it should be to the Rules committee and closer to a vote on the Senate floor.

The video link is to the hearing that day, but for some reason the video will not play. I need to confirm something that Wachter said, so I am checking it each day.

Randy

On the Acces WA website, the history for SB5956 was updated today to say "Feb 3 Executive action taken in the Senate Committee on Law & Justice at 1:30 PM " I can't find any more information on what exactly that means. The video for the session is not yet available, so no luck their either. Good/Bad? Executive Action seems to be a very vague term.

Edit: Okay, looking around that apparently means that it was given an executive hearing. I can't find anything yet about what the outcome was - I guess we'll have to wait until the video is available. From here (if passed), I think it would go to rules committee.

Here are the committee members.

Padden, Mike (R) Chair
O'Ban, Steve (R) Vice Chair
Kline, Adam (D)
Darneille, Jeannie (D)
Pearson, Kirk (R)
Pedersen, Jamie (D)
Roach, Pam (R)

We can count on Kline (he said he was against short barreled guns in 2010)and Roach (as she said last year) to say no; Padden, O'Ban and Pearson to say yes. Pedersen (refused to give it a hearing in 2013) is probably a no, I have no idea about Darneille.

Hopefully some more info will be released soon.

Randy

So, just watched the video. The SBR discussion starts around 1:42 or 1:43. Kline states that "supports this bill," but he complained that bills which offer "small changes" to increase gun control are routinely shot down. I believe it was a stance asking for more reciprocity with "reasonable" firearm-related bills. He did end his comment by saying that he would support the bill. Roach made a comment about the history of WA gun law, but did not overtly object. She may be prepping a future rebuttal. That all being said, the billed was passed unanimously by the council onto the Rule Committee. So, rad. :)

Feel free to cross post this - I know the conversation is going on in a few places.

Wow! Glad to see that I was wrong. Pedersen told me he preferred to see an SBR bill come from the Senate, I guess he wasn't kidding. Not sure why Roach is supporting now, but still glad to see she is.

I'm surprised to see that Kline is supporting, I know he was bitter about the defeat of his anti-gun bills. I've not sure what bills he thinks are small measures. I have no idea what Senator Roach was trying to say though.

Randy

Randy - question. Do you usually contact the members of the Rules committee to encourage them to send it on? Or just let them do their thing?

I plan on writing to the Rules Committee as they do not have public hearings where we can speak to them. Say the same thing as you did to other committees.

Randy

Per Brian Blake, the representative who is the primary sponsor of house bill 1561, it is time to punt on the House version. Jinkins will not let it pass out of committee, period.

5956 is our bill.

Yes, email the members of the senate rules committee. Sheldon and a number of other folks, including Kirk Pearson who passed it through the Law and Justice committee are on the Rules committee. Short and sweet emails, folks.

Link to Rules Committee members. Committee Members & Staff

Email them all.

Representative Jinkins told me that she would probably give an SBR bill from the Senate a hearing. Senator Pedersen said the same thing to me last year. Jinkins said "these kinds of bills normally come from the Senate" as a reason why she wanted it to happen this way. I have no idea why this it true, if it even is.

Randy

Can you please explain what this all means? Is this closer to being a reality?

Representative Jinkins told me that she would probably give an SBR bill from the Senate a hearing. Senator Pedersen said the same thing to me last year. Jinkins said "these kinds of bills normally come from the Senate" as a reason why she wanted it to happen this way. I have no idea why this it true, if it even is.

Randy

Can you please explain what this all means? Is this closer to being a reality?
SB5956 must get a pass recommendation from the Law and Justice Committee (already done) then go to the Rules Committee where it is placed on the calendar for a vote (or not and allowed to die). If the Senate approves it, it goes to the house to start all over again in the House Judiciary Committee and on to Rules then to the governor to sign into law.

Personally I think it has a good chance of passage.

Randy

The Rules Committee is not as open as others are. I have never seen an agenda published online nor can I find any video on their hearings like other committees. No legislator or aide I have ever talked to has been willing to discuss when, why or why not a bill is pulled from the white sheet to green (debate in committee) and on to the yellow sheet (vote on the floor). So until we see an update on the bill info page or the Senate yellow sheet we are in the dark.

5956 info; SB 5956 - 2013-14
Senate floor activity; WSL Floor Activity Home and Senate Floor Activity - Regular Calendar

Randy

There were virtually identical bills written for SBRs in the Senate and the House
I think that they might have been referring to the House bill, which appears to be bottled up in committee. The Senate bill was passed on from Law and Justice to the Rules Committee (a good step). Looking at the senate bill's history, it doesn't seem that it has been killed by Rules.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

House Bill 156 is dead. Representative Jinkins killed it by not scheduling it for an executive hearing.

As far as I know the Senate bill 5956 bill has until 2/18 to get a vote on the Senate floor then until 2/28 to get a hearing in the House Judiciary and until 3/7 to get a vote on the House floor. 2014 Session Cutoff Calendar

If it makes it to the House, we need to make another trip to Olympia to demonstrate our support for the bill once again. Hopefully Jinkins will live up to her suggestion that she will pass a Senate sbr bill out of her committee

Randy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top