JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I spoke with Sentor Sheldon's aide this morning and she says "the bill is in the queue to be pulled". I suppose this means he will be pulling it prior to the Tuesday deadline. Sheldon is rather busy. For the 2013-2014 biennium he has sponsored/co-sponsored about 150 bills (not including measures and resolutions), 36 of which are in Rules and awaiting a pull.

I think (hope) the bill will pass the Senate where it will go the House and get a pass recommendation by the Judiciary. I think it will become law.

Randy

I spoke with Sentor Sheldon's aide this morning and she says "the bill is in the queue to be pulled". I suppose this means he will be pulling it prior to the Tuesday deadline. Sheldon is rather busy. For the 2013-2014 biennium he has sponsored/co-sponsored about 150 bills (not including measures and resolutions), 36 of which are in Rules and awaiting a pull.

I think (hope) the bill will pass the Senate where it will go the House and get a pass recommendation by the Judiciary. I think it will become law.

Randy

Randy would it help for us to call Sentor Sheldon's office? Thanks for your efforts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's get crazy and assume this thing passes quickly.... Woo Hoo!

With the suppressor bill, wasn't it passed for a while before the July 1 in service date took effect? Or is my memory clouded?

The only reason I ask is that the in service date would most likely be after the newly proposed NFA rules would take effect (assuming the "enhanced" NFA regs drop in June) which would suck a little for us trust types.

Don't get me wrong, this is AWESOME news and I thank you from the bottom of my wallet Randy et al for all your hard work. I look forward to a shiny new SBR regardless of the NFA rule changes.

Hey all, just to confirm, the status of the bill on access WA was updated to "Feb 14 Placed on second reading by Rules Committee."
So that means it will go to the floor for a vote. Hooah! Keep sending those letters, this is the time to push.

Senator Sheldon is already doing what he can to get it a vote on the floor. We now need to let all of our other Senators know how we feel about the bill.

Randy

I spoke with Senator Sheldon this afternoon. It turns out that the Senate will be in session on Monday (holiday) and Tuesday until 5pm. Based on our conversation the SBR bill is likely to get a vote on the floor. Based on the unanimous pass recommendation from the Law and Justice Committee, I think it will pass a vote on the Senate floor and go to the House. From there the main obstacle is Representative Jinkins. She killed HB 1561 but has said that she preferred to see an SBR bill come from the Senate.

If anyone here has not yet written to their Senator or has not received a reply indicating support for the bill, please write.

We will need people to write to their Representatives next week after SB5956 passes the Senate to encourage them to support the bill. Not only do we need their vote on the House floor, it would be nice if they were to encourage Representative Jinkins to give the bill a hearing in committee and recommend that it passes.

It would be really nice to have a few dozen people show for the Judiciary Committee hearing; it should happen in about two weeks or so. I'll be taking time off from work to go. Thank you to everyone who has made an effort to make this bill pass.

Randy

5956 is on the order of consideration today. It is last on the list of five bills and as far as I know they got done with the first two this morning. You can watch the Senate floor action live here; TVW v3

Randy

ETA; I caught the tail end of the vote after refreshing the link on TVW. SB 5956 passed 47-0 in the Senate just now. Now it goes to the House. Time to see if Representative Jinkins will give it a chance.

So one person (Jinkins) could stop the whole bill?
Representative Jinkins is the key right now. The SBR bill obviously has more than enough support to pass in the House if it gets to the floor for a vote. Representative Jinkins needs to do two things; schedule it for a public hearing in the Judiciary Committee then schedule it for an executive hearing to allow the Judiciary members to vote on whether or not to recommend that it pass. We need to attend the Judiciary hearing when the bill is scheduled.

If anyone knows someone at WACOPS please convince them to show up to support the bill.

The bill then goes to the House Rules Committee. Representative Chopp is the chair of Rules, but he allows each member to pull a certain number of bills from the white sheet and make it progress from the committee to the House floor for a vote.

There are several Representatives that co-sponsored the now dead House SBR bill (HB 1561) that are also on the House Rules Committee. These are the people we need to move the SBR bill (SB 5956) from the Rules Committee to the House floor for a vote.

Kretz, Joel (R)
Kristiansen, Dan (R)
Nealey, Terry (R)
Van De Wege, Kevin (D
Wilcox, J.T. (R)
Roberts, Mary Helen (D)
Fagan, Susan (R)
Sawyer, David (D)

These Representatives need to be reminded that this is their best and most important opportunity to support the SBR bill. Link to e-mail address; <broken link removed>

Randy

You may have read one of my posts where I said that in my meeting with Jinkins she told me that she was not inclined to give HB 1561 hearing but that she probably would give SB 5956 a hearing if it made it to the House. No promises were made.

I don't know why the gun initiatives and the safe storage bill failed in her committee, but hopefully she will be willing to give the only successful gun bill this year a chance.

Randy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads