JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow there is alot of Ruger hate out there! Sure, they have had a recall or two, but I think that shows they are willing to fix a flaw when they identify one. They repair and or replace at no cost to the consumer except shipping. I have an old P85 in 9mm, big old tank of a gun. It was on the recall list for the decocker issue. I sent it to them, they did the refit, and sent me a new 15 round mag free for my trouble. I have 2 of their 9mms, a LCP, and a 10/22. I am by no means a "Ruger guy" as I also have a Colt, a Savage, a Winchester, and a Makarov, but I will never turn up my nose at a Ruger product, either from a quality or customer service standpoint.

Ok, off the soapbox now! Not sure if I'll spend my $800 for one of these, or just get a Springfield Armory 1911 next, but if one showed up in my Christmas stocking this year, I wouldn't be disapointed!
Chris

You're missing the point. I am not debating the Colt vs. Clone thing, but rather stating the terms "Series 70" and "Series 80" are exclusive to Colt. It's not a Colt so it's not a Series 70, I don't care if it's a Ruger or a Wilson.

Splitting hairs? Perhaps, but they are accurate hairs.

Good thing you clarified that for me. Several years as a gunsmith, and I had no idea. :huh:;)

The terms certainly originated with Colt. No argument. But they have become generic terms to describe whether or not a 1911 style pistol has a series 80 style firing pin safety. On occasion, a company comes up with a term that nicely describes a gun or part. If you recall, AR was an armalite term but now refers to all brands of AR style rifles. Same here.

Now, back on topic. I must say, I like that fact that it is a series 70-style (;)) gun. No firing pin safety makes it easier to get a nice trigger pull. Looking at the photo, I like the fact that it says "Made in USA" so prominently on the side. That's still something to take pride in. Since this is not a gun that I would carry, if I get one, I will probably machine the rear of the slide to install an adjustable bomar-style (another one of those phrases that cover multiple manufacturers :)) sights. Maybe a gold-bead front sight, maybe some new grips. I planned on buying a new 1911 this year for the anniversary. I already have a 1911-style pistol (S&W), but wanted one to customize into an anniversary/commemorative style pistol. Don't want to buy one of the pre-made anniversary models. This and the Remington both show promise as base guns to start with...

where might they be available locally?

Woodland Guns & Ammo just got one in yesterday. went and saw it today - nice fit and finish with no rattles and a good trigger feel. I think this is his demo model until he can order in more of them. there wasn't a price on it yet but it will be under $700 - I think he said it will go around $660 when he can get more in.

on a side note they also got in the new / improved version of the PMR30 in also.

I am in the 'ruger hater club' but do appreciate the fact it is American made.

I love to watch the tough guy get all sad when I shatter his world when I explain what IMBEL means. One guy I had to pick up my IMBEL FAL and show him that they were made by the same folks in Brazil.

I am actually hoping there isn't a recall on these.

SF-

Dang $649.00 is not a bad price in todays over inflated market. If I wasn't planning on spending $750.00 on a $450.00 Savage Varmit rifle I'd think seriously about one of these. Always wanted a 1911ish .45

Dang $649.00 is not a bad price in todays over inflated market. If I wasn't planning on spending $750.00 on a $450.00 Savage Varmit rifle I'd think seriously about one of these. Always wanted a 1911ish .45

It would be nice if they produced an auto that did not need to be recalled. Seems that many that they have produced in the recent past have gone that way. Given their price point, I would be curious to see what would be superior for just a few hundred dollars more. It may be an entirely different ball game for $100-200 more. Anybody have any ideas?

As a aside Ruger's revolvers are just super. Maybe they could build a 460 Smith and Wesson Magnum or a 500 on a similiar Redhawk frame.

Bought it and slipped the slide off of the frame to run a swab down the barrel and take a peek. The feed ramp is mirror bright and everything seems well finished inside. Slide to frame fit is nice with minimal amount of play.
Even though it was a crappy day today, I took it out and put a little over 100 rounds of handloads through it. I brought a bunch of cast bullet handloads, hoping to burn through them. It was reluctant to chamber some of them, but I was able to run through a box of 50. My Colt will chamber most of these, but my Dan Wesson will not. I also shot a little over 50 jacketed reloads. The only problems were caused by the inconsistency of the cast reloads.
The front sight was not quite centered in the slide and after shooting the first mag, I drifted it and that centered up the groups.
The trigger is a little gritty and has a small amount of creep. I'd noticed this before I took it out to shoot. It's improving and I'm curious to see what it will be like in 500 or so rounds. Right now it is not as nice of a trigger pull as either of my other 1911's, but it's as good as two other Colts and the Para I've had.
The only other negative is the coating on the black parts (slide stop, thumb safety, grip safety and mainspring housing). It appears to be coming off of the high contact places. That's fine with me as I don't like the contrasting color and was planning on glass beading them to a natural color anyway.
The grip safety and thumb safety mimic the Ed Brown pieces and are much to my liking. The mainspring housing is nicely checkered. Unlike the guns I'd seen sampled in the magazines, this one has wood grips (like in a photo shown in a previous post). The trigger is adjusted properly for minimal over travel. From the weight and color of the firing pin, I'd not be surprised if it's a titanium piece. It has Novak sights, so if I want to put night sights on it, that will be a breeze.
It came with two mags, one 7 round flush fitting and a slightly extended 8 round, a bushing wrench and a nice zippered case.
I've seen many a 1911 for more money that's not this nice.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top