JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which one is the best

• Total voters
0C3EA20C-0900-43E3-AD34-4C57FF1F3EF2.png Sig Sauer Nightmare

Last Edited:
Another 2 cents worth of opinion........
Buying a 1911 is a lot like buying a pickup truck. The design is strong and lends its self to a high degree of customization. It is the most modified handgun model in existence. Like aftermarket options for a truck, once you have the basic firearm many things can be replaced to customize the piece to an end user preference. Differences that are encountered between springfield--kimber—colt--etc. reflect the differences in parts incorporated into the base design. From slide serrations and types of sights to extended ejectors and beavertail grips, the base model platform can be tweaked to personal preference. I would suggest that if you are new to the mechanism that you take the opportunity to shoot a number of variants to determine what your preferences are. I like Springfields and Ford trucks. There is nothing wrong with a Kimber – chevy or Colt—dodge and to this end I have run across odd ball 1911 models that run and run and run (Israeli Arms 1911).

When setting a new pistol up for a carry piece or competition gun, and if there is no exact off the shelf "edition" that meets my requirements, I will start with a base model frame and swap off everything else for other components. A positive aspect of this approach (if on a budget) is that you have a working firearm while getting trigger time to determine what you like and spending more to meet or reflect your preferences at a later date. Perhaps a good starting point would be a 1911 that utilizes a beavertail grip safety in a standard weight model (standard weight for a 1911 is about 40 ounces). The dispersion of recoil force from a 1911 inherent with using a beavertail grip safety, right off the bat makes the 1911 a lot more comfortable. Shooting comfort minimizes the condition of flinching associated with a new shooter and a 1911. The more rounds that you are able to expend down range the less susceptible to flinch and subsequently a faster development in proficiency. Generally all handguns perform better than the user, do not get caught up in the "does it shoot tight groups" issue (remember it is a handgun - set it up in a vice it will probably shoot better than the user can exploit). Of keen interest should be those features that assist YOU in handling / employing the weapon and CONSISTANTLY hitting a target.

Well now.... If the money was available and I wanted another 1911, my first choice would be a Colt Combat Commander- used, 70-series... Since I don't like the :eek::eek::eek:plastic that Colt has been using on some of their pistols, my choice for a NEW one is a SIG. Not to diss Ruger, which puts out good product made in USA.
1911FCA-45-NMR 1911 Carry Nightmare. Main selling points are: It's a SIG, stainless, commander-length, and most importantly, the rounded grip and mainspring housing. The sharp grip frame bottoms on most 1911's these days (a feature abandoned by the military in the 1920's) dig into my palm just where a scar from an old surgery is, and cause a good bit of irritation- one of the reasons I moved over to the :eek:Glock:eek: 21 a few years back.
If I was buying "on the cheap" would likely seek a Rocky, Springer, or something on the used market... That said my next pistol probably won't be a 1911 and will be in 10mm... Glock springs to mind but Im not entirely happy with Glock due to the lack of an actual safety of any kind. Then again Im "thinning the herd" and won't be buying anything, heh...:rolleyes:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top