JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which one is the best

• Total voters
This is Mopar vs Ford vs Chevy question. My RO might have been had a magazine through it and the SR1911 is brand new, both are still in their boxes and probably going to be unloaded (pun intended) when I get around to it. My Delta has countless thousands of rounds through it so you can guess my vote.

Never been fond of 9mm 1911s despite all the press. The 1911 was built around the 45acp. So this old curmudgeon sez keep the 1911 in 45acp. LOL
JMBrowning himself couldn't have agreed more. When he invented the High Power he said he did everything he should have done with the 1911... 1911 lovers cry heresy all you want. His words not mine.

JMBrowning himself couldn't have agreed more. When he invented the High Power he said he did everything he should have done with the 1911... 1911 lovers cry heresy all you want. His words not mine.
Lol I don't know if you have ever done this but probably lay out a few of your ammo on a table and look at the difference in size the difference between a 9mm and 45 are insane lol

64B98C6F-4C05-4693-9229-5DFA7107D630-188-000000310262C2B3_tmp.jpg

20151106_113623_med.jpg
Springfield TRP Operator.
Here is what I bought and my vote. Yes this one is mine just after I got her home.

I thought, I'll just get one real nice one [1911] and then be done... didn't work, now I want more.
~

Last Edited:
As my user name and avatar would indicate, I enjoy my SA firearms. However, the 1911 I've owned for the longest is an old Colt Government model which I was forced to retire after the frame cracked near the slide stop opening. It had a LOT of rounds through it.

When I went shopping for a replacement I came to the realization that it was like shopping for a new truck. All the brands had similar features, they all would perform the same tasks and quality was comparable across the models I was interested in. After renting and shooting everything I could get my mitts on I chose the Springfield Armory Champion Lightweight Operator. The only real reasons were it felt the best in my hand and was reasonably priced. On any given day I could have selected a Colt or Ruger for the same reasons. Stepping away from Colt, though, made me a bit apprehensive.

SA1911%2003_zpsezbidxw0.jpg

My apprehensions over not having purchased a Colt immediately vanished after the second range session. The first was break in, sighting in and familiarization with the weapon. Given that it was a 1911 pattern firearm, becoming familiar with it took no time at all.

As with any firearm, there are small improvements and modifications to be made to suit my individual preferences. The CLWO got a few tweaks such as G10 grip panels, a bit of custom work at SACS in the form of a sight upgrade and a bit of work on the trigger. As configured today, it's a fine weapon that shoots very well and one that I am proud to own.

SA1911%2012_zpsj9s1lspk.jpg

I have two other SA handguns, a Trophy Match and an XDs, both in .45

The Trophy Match is a range gun. It's a great shooter but too large for everyday carry. The only mod I've added to this firearm is a set of G10 grips.

SA%20Trophy%2003_zps8czn93mv.jpg

Getting off the 1911 train for a moment, let me introduce you to the XDs, which at 3.3" & 7 + 1 round capacity is a great carry piece. It's a bit of a handful but after you've spent some time with it you realize it will do what you need it to do...protect you and yours.

DSC_0076_zpskqafk2iq.jpg

My only modification on this firearm is adding a Crimson Trace LaserGuard unit. Now I have more range time planned as I need to become familiar with using it without over thinking it and just getting used to a different process. Point and shoot at what the green dot is centered on, right? :D

Laser%2001_zps50mioifm.jpg

I want to make the point that there are a lot of good 1911's out there that may be specific to a need or that may repeat a prior ownership experience you may want to repeat. I don't think that any one 1911 pattern handgun is supremely superior to another equivalent handgun. Rather, get the one that suits your needs and budget the best.

Who knows...I may end up with another Colt soon. Now that I think of it, maybe I need to go take a look at what they offer today. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top