JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After reading an article over at the truth about guns Here I had a serious case of cross-eyed sleepiness.

I was all for red dot sights 20 years ago, how much more fun can shooting get when you put a big ol' BSA red dot on a S&W 22A and eat up the center of a target at 25 yards? Great!

Even better, when you toss a light weight red dot like a BRS 25 on a 10/22 and give it to a properly trained 12 year old, the smiles really come out especially with a 25 round magazine.

What I fail to understand is the trend towards more and more money spent on optics for a carry gun, which is supposed to be as basic, small, and simple as it can be. Putting more crap to carry around and maintain daily (or thereabouts) on a platform designed for light weight backup in the worst situation of your life seems to make as much sense as carrying a packet of mayo to go on your emergency Twinke ration. The article referenced above did not have an MSRP for the presumably Chinese made laser in an ultra rugged housing of aluminum, but my guess is somewhere in the $300 range, which is just a skosh short of what the average consumer pays for their carry weapon.

The average carry gun from a good manufacturer costs between $300 and $500 after tax. Spend more than that, and you get some enhanced features, perhaps night sights or an upgraded trigger. Spend less and you enter Hi Point territory, which as of this writing does not have a reflex sight cut at the moment although it has been done (google for a good giggle). From there, you have to get a comfortable holster that works for your style of carry, extra magazines, and plenty of ammo to train with. The whole package for a carry gun is likely closer to $550 to $800, regardless of what you told your wife, and that does not take into account the time you will need to spend training with it to become proficient. Adding a red dot just took that well into the $1k range for a gun that will be confiscated the first time you really need to use it, and if you believe one is none and two is one, this almost doubles your cost.

I see folks at my local range with their trusty Sig P365 trying to conceal the whole package: Paddle holster, extra mags, extended pinky rest, swiss army mod lock swivel sling attachment, tactical twinky and all. This may work in an overcoat, which can sometimes be called for in our climate, but it is not "concealed." I can recall prominently one portly fellow who had the exact print of his Glock with Optics Cut RMR proudly on "concealed" display underneath his Columbia sportsware jacket. Granted, his clothing choice and pistol arrangement probably had more to do with the printing than the RMR, but the fact stands that if it is bigger, it will show better.

I can see as well that pistol shooters in general do better with better sights. This is undeniably true: if I toss a 9x scope on my match pistol, I can hit things more consistently at greater range, provided I am not forced to support the pistol with just my hands. There in lies the problem: if you want really good accuracy out of a pistol with iron sights, you MUST practice. The same is true for red dots, but less so: the whole argument to use them relies on the purported fact that they are more accurate with less effort. Iron sights have killed many more critters of all size across the ages than any sort of scope ever has, but it takes practice. Even in the covid crunch on 9mm ammo at $20 for 50 rounds, the cost of a red dot pistol sight at $300 would buy a person 750 rounds to practice with, which is more than enough to be proficient at pistol ranges for most shooters. If that amount of ammo is not sufficient for first time proficiency level training, I highly recommend a good shot gun with buck shot.

Long rant short, there is no need for a red dot sight on a carry pistol, unless you like range time less than money or have an inspector gadget style wardrobe. If you have all the money in the world to spend and like red dot sights on your carry piece, please feel free to IM me so that I may be a passenger on your next yacht trip. Besides, I have no idea why you would waste your time reading my drivel, you obviously have better things to do like letting me drive your Maserati.

I guess I should put my full size hand gun back in the safe and start carrying a pocket pistol…..

You made a good point in the first three paragraphs. Your thread title was a little foreshadowing, because I drifted off a couple of sentences into the 4th paragraph. ;)

I do think you're right on the mark though. I still have issues getting sight alignment quickly with micro red dots despite having red dots and holographics on several of my long guns and using them a regularly. A luminescent front sight can help me a lot and that's good enough for me right now. I do have a red dot my favorite target pistol but not on any of my carry pistols.

You made a good point in the first three paragraphs. Your thread title was a little foreshadowing, because I drifted off a couple of sentences into the 4th paragraph. ;)

I do think you're right on the mark though. I still have issues getting sight alignment quickly with micro red dots despite having red dots and holographics on several of my long guns and using them a regularly. A luminescent front sight can help me a lot and that's good enough for me right now. I do have a red dot my favorite target pistol but not on any of my carry pistols.
The RDS is showing you the deficiencies in your grip and hand/eye coordination, learn from it.

Personally, if I had the money, I'd put a RDS on everything gun I own.

The light bulb didn't evolve from constantly improving candles.
Not all of us are poor and unwilling to invest in training to be proficient with red dots as you are. Some of us can carry a full size handgun with an RMR and a spare mag under only a t shirt. I'm sorry you can't keep up. Shake your fist as the sky some more, something might just happen.

Well heck, I enjoyed the rant even though I don't have a dog in the fight. The OP writes well, very entertaining. Comments from others though, wow, the man might consider changing his alias to Rodney Dangerfield {he didn't get no respect, either}.

Good lord! Speaking of "cross-eyed sleepiness" after reading that monstrous wall of text. I bet you're a lot of fun at parties. :D

You jelly? Because it sounds like you jelly.

Why on earth do you care so much about what other people decide to do with their carry guns? Or what companies decide to make and sell? Or how much money people spend on their carry setup?

If you don't want a red dot on your carry gun, don't buy one.

As for me, I daily carry a 4.25" M&P CORE w/RMR 06 in a JM Custom AIWB-WC rig...all year round...in shorts and a t-shirt during summer and winter...whether I'm driving my Tacoma or my Maserati...which you most certainly cannot drive.

And from here forward, ALL of my carry guns will have red dots. And not because red dots are superior to iron sights (even though they are)...and not because I happen to prefer them (which I do)...but from here forward ALL my carry guns will have red dots simply because I know how much it upsets you. :p:D

Hmmmm lets just all bask in, and soak up all of that yummy red dot-ie goodness! :D

fO8bxpx.jpg

Need. Nope.

Gun companies needing to make more money by convincing everyone they need a $20 Chinese red dot they sell for $400. Yep.

which is supposed to be
Here is the real issue, while what follows this statement may define your conceptual picture, it falls short of consensus for many others. It would be the same for a carry caliber discussion.
I carry either an unmodified tritium sighted sig 365 or a 1911 with a wakeup red dot and cannot relate to nearly any of your post.
But Hey, its your beef, so go for it.
Even though others are sometimes left scratching their head, I feel better when I cut loose for dubious reasons too!

I get amused at the rants on sights of all kinds. I have mentioned before I have met a few, very few, people who could shoot really well with handguns. FAR more who "said they could" until you get to a range with them. Suddenly they can't stay on paper without sights. Many of them can't even with sights. When my eyes were young I spent a LOT of ammo trying to learn to shoot with no sights. Never could get good enough to want to trust it. So of course learned to rely on front sight for fast. Now eyes are older and like most of me do not work like they used too. So I LOVE optics.
As for CC carry and printing I could care less. When I lived where we could not get a CC law I did carry and then was VERY careful. Now? who cares. 99% of the world now is so tunnel vision on their phone they see nothing. Now and then someone catches a glimpse of my carry or thinks they may have. I could care less. The kind of walking zombie scum who really scare me into wanting to carry more firepower are so brain dead I am not worried about one of them spotting my carry.
Anytime someone asks me about the possibility of better sights I offer to let them try mine. Tell them that they will hear a lot of hate on forums. Tell them if they like them who cares what anyone else thinks?

I didn't care for the handgun/optic combo I tried, but there are a lot of other options out there.

OP, did you try more than one before becoming a columnist?

I am a long term, experienced shooter.

I grew up shooting traditionally, with scopes & open irons and with both eyes open in the instinctive manner with handguns.

I really didn't think much about red dots until I started to consider one for a particular gun I own and began to look at some in stores but I wasn't too impressed with the dot 'image'.

Well I got lucky and went shooting with a guy who had a couple on ARs he owned and was able to try them out.

Unfortunately I didn't have the best success with them and I attribute this to the artificial lens that is in my right eye. I coulddn't get a consistently clear picture on the dots and sometimes a double image. One of his sights was considerably better and he explained this was probably due too it being considerably higher quality (and cost). Regardless that ended it for me.

I do however see an advantage to a red dot under certain circumstances but I hardly see them as as superior to everything else.

In the world of shooting 'accessories' they are probably higher on the 'ladder' than some things I have seen. Good lord, some of the stupidity I have seen attached to guns defies comprehension but this is common with nearly anything in the sport/hobby world.

The problem with accessories is when the owner is so 'enthralled' with the item they force themselves to believe it is superior and then have to own the item (or several) and continually reinforce the notion to themselves - even though it may not be advantageous to the owner, and the hobby/sport its being used for.

I don't like batteries in guns for situations that may become detrimental to my life. I cant imagine mounting a battery powered scope on a dangerous game rifle, ditto for my concealed carry pistols.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top