JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone new to the forum and looking to get into idpa. Just looks like a lot of fun and I'd like to get some practice with my every day carry, s&w m&p9c. Ive just got a few question, I've found west coast armory has a match every Tuesday, anyone have any experience with their Tuesday night pistol league? Would it be a good place for a new guy with no real shooting talents to start? Or would I just end up slowing everyone down.

Also wondering if you need any sort of safety class first? I've never taken one as I've been raised since 6 around being safe with pistols and shooting. Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated

Search these forums - there is a good community in the Sound area - many will help you get going.

IDPA requires you are safe with a gun.
Some clubs require a safety briefing. Where I shoot does - about 30 mins right before the match.

Based upon your post - I strongly suggest you invest in a shooting class - how to draw, how to hold your pistol, how to sight alignl, how to stand for action shooting. All these things are always "what works best for you" and having a qualified instructor greatly helps to find that.

Come out and shoot.

idpa.com - at the bottom is a link to the official forums.

Thanks for the advice. I forgot ask in my original post, does anyone have any suggestions for a good class like ricinor said? I've been looking and the few I've found either cost $300+ which is out of my price range for a class. And I've emailed norpoint asking if they will be doing anymore idpa 101 classes but no luck. Thanks again

Thanks dmv. Ya after looking at at the classes I think I'm just going to try to get into some beginner level matches. As far as pistol safety I'm 24 but I have owned firearms over half my life and have always done trigger jobs and internal work on my own pistols, so I at least know how to be safe. As far as grip, stance, drawing, and sight alignment I'm confident enough in my few years of shooting, carrying daily and experimenting that I don't think right now it's worth it to me to pay as much as another pistol for a few hours of a class. I think It might be better spent in ammo for practice, but I guess time will tell.

Ill keep looking for some matches, info and rule book since I only seem to be coming across partial threads with my phone. On what holsters and gear I need specifically, thanks for your help

Just go to the Tuesday night thing at West Coast Armory and check it out. I'm sure they'll help you out. I might even see you there. I've been looking into that as well.

Go to the Tuesday night shoot and tell them what you told us. They'll help you get started. Go slowly, focus on safety and accuracy, and have some fun. Definitely review the IDPA rules and make sure the gear you have is safe!

I also strongly suggest you sign up for a class. I've taken a class from Caleb Giddings at West Coast Armory and it was well worth the money and time. Pretty cost effective.

Also, since you're in Everett look into the comp at Norpoint range in Arlington. They have IDPA matches as well, I think first Saturday of the month. Give them a call. Hopefully WCA in Everett will also start having matches. Any news on them?

Thanks for the advice. I forgot ask in my original post, does anyone have any suggestions for a good class like ricinor said? I've been looking and the few I've found either cost $300+ which is out of my price range for a class. And I've emailed norpoint asking if they will be doing anymore idpa 101 classes but no luck. Thanks again

I'm the one that teaches the IDPA Class at Norpoint. We might have another one in August but I'll have to check to see if I can get on the schedule. I'm also planning one at Renton Fish & Game range sometime soon too. My class cost $75, lasts about 5-6 hours and we shoot 200-300 rounds.

I shoot IDPA matches all over Washington State and sometimes in Oregon. The match at West Coast Armory is a good place to start. Its every Tuesday night, starting at 6pm. I used to shoot there every Tuesday night and have several videos from the matches there. Now I work a lot farther away and its very hard for me to make it there on time after work.

The next big match is at Renton Fish & Game range on Saturday July 20th. You just have to show up before 8am for the New Shooters Meeting, after attending the New Shooters Meeting you can sign up for the match. The matches at Renton draw the largest number of shooters, lately we have been getting 90-100+ shooters for a regular IDPA match.

Damon
dmonwai channel - YouTube

Thanks a lot for the info Damon, I've heard good things about your class at norpoint. I'd definitely like to sign up for your next class. Renton isn't to far for me so that would work. Any idea when the Renton class will be? You can sign me up, ill keep a look out for the class opening up. Or I could pm you my personal info to sign up and actually get on the list if that works. Thanks again, really looking forward to attending your class.

From Norpoints IDPA page:

New Shooters who want to try IDPA for the first time are directed to our New Shooter Mini-Match on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. We only take 8-10 shooters so we can spend more time with shooters new to the sport of IDPA. You do not need to be an IDPA Member to shoot in our New Shooter Mini-Match...Send a request to [email protected]

Thanks a lot for the info Damon, I've heard good things about your class at norpoint. I'd definitely like to sign up for your next class. Renton isn't to far for me so that would work. Any idea when the Renton class will be? You can sign me up, ill keep a look out for the class opening up. Or I could pm you my personal info to sign up and actually get on the list if that works. Thanks again, really looking forward to attending your class.

PM me your name and email and I'll let you know as soon as I know when the next class gets scheduled. :s0155:

Thanks!!

From Norpoints IDPA page:

New Shooters who want to try IDPA for the first time are directed to our New Shooter Mini-Match on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. We only take 8-10 shooters so we can spend more time with shooters new to the sport of IDPA. You do not need to be an IDPA Member to shoot in our New Shooter Mini-Match...Send a request to [email protected]

That is also a great idea!!

IDPA is a great game/sport for newcomers! Be willing to go slow and be somewhat non-competitive for awhile. Also, be willing to accept some procedurals by your feet or elbow or something being in the wrong spot. But just make sure you follow the rules concerning your muzzle and your trigger finger and you'll be fine.

As long as you are safe in your handling you'll have a great time! The worry about being too slow and slowing down the day is unfounded. The extra 30 seconds or 2 minutes you take to complete a stage isn't going to bug anyone. It isn't like golf, where a bad player in your foursome (usually me...) can really screw up a good day of golf.

Just get a big shirt and bring the gear you already have. BTW, watch Powerfactorshow on Youtube. You'll get almost all the info you need to get started. They've got lots of episodes about IDPA.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top