JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A friend of mine invited me to a bowling pin match last Saturday and it was a blast! I brought my son, my son-n-law, and my daughter's boyfriend. None of us had ever shot a pin match. My son-n-law didn't want to shoot, but my friend talked him into it. We all shot rimfire, all from the low ready position start, and it was WAY more fun than anything else we could've done that day. (The other option was a baby shower).

The R.O.'s were very patient, and understanding. We were told the first 4 rules of being a new shooter; #1 Safety, #2 Have fun, #3 Safety, #4 have fun!

There were a few folks there that take it very seriously while they were at the line, but were helpful, and friendly when back behind with everyone else. They said they'd let us "slide" once more from the low ready, and then we'll have to buy holsters. Which means they are on their own...all the 22's we were shooting are mine, and I'm not buying holsters for all of them. I do know that the stage with mandatory reload really got me. I was shooting my 617, and trying to line up ten 22 shells to go into those 10 holes, while shaking so bad the speed loader sounds like maracas, all while clock is ticking...made me question my choice to shoot the revolver!

Looking forward to doing it again!

I was shooting my 617, and trying to line up ten 22 shells to go into those 10 holes, while shaking so bad the speed loader sounds like maracas, all while clock is ticking...made me question my choice to shoot the revolver!

Looking forward to doing it again!
Welcome to the wonderful world of competitive shooting!

Welcome to the wonderful world of competitive shooting!
Yep.

When I found out the course of fire and rules for a GSSF indoor match, I went to my private range and tried it and got a perfect 500 score. Easy.

When I showed up for my first match, it was sad. Got a 416. I think my best score in two years was a 496. Never did get a 500. When you are shooting in front of an audience and under pressure, group sizes go up exponentially.

I live closer to Tri-County.
Do I have to become a member to join their activities? On their calendar it says that all the competitions are member only.

Raptedtite,

I'm not sure what competition you are looking for but I can offer details for 2 types of rifle shooting matches held at Tricounty Gun Club:

600 Yd Rifle weekly competitions with electronic scoring grouped into F-Class Open (any caliber that is supersonic at 600 yds.) Sling, FTR .223 & .308 Bipod, and Practical Rifle. You can get more info from the website https://tcgc.org/ and click on the activities tab. You do not need to be a member but you must contact the activity chair to get details on how to enter the club. Weekly matches are scheduled in advanced to control spacing. The matches comply with covid protocols and masks are required. $5 to shoot per evening or $60 for the calendar year. Winter league has just started and costs an additional $20 with prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Summer league will be $40 and includes a picnic where more prizes are available for anyone who submits the minimum number of targets. Reach out and get info.

There is also a monthly 22LR long range competition with all the thrills associated with pulling and marking targets since the venerable 22LR isn't supersonic and doesn't register on an electronic scoring system. There are a couple of different classes for rifles of all makes. Good trigger and wind practice in a friendly environment. I haven't seen any non-members but if you contact the club they can put you in touch with the activity chair and you two can discuss next steps.

Both of these events are on the calendar and have regular attendees. I shoot in both.

Good luck and have fun

I live closer to Tri-County.
Do I have to become a member to join their activities? On their calendar it says that all the competitions are member only.
Normally you do not have to be a member to shoot a match. I don't know if things have changed with covid. I would email the match director and ask.

For getting into any gun competition, join the NRA (yes I know they just declared bankruptcy, to shaft NY state/city, and FINALLY going to TX) and ask them about what you want to know. Then get all the NRA booklets they put out (used to be a couple of bucks each for all the books, and they had seven or eight, maybe more now). There is (handgun) Bullseye, Police , bowling pin, IPSC, IDPA, sil (steel animal targets), and various other speed accuracy games under various names, etc. If you want rifle shooting, small bore (.22), big bore, benchrest, varmint class, sil. shooting, long range, .50 cal. (.50 BMG), and of course multi-gun like 3-gun, Wild West shoots, so on and so forth. I'm sure someone will list a few dozen I missed.

Call your local gun store and ask what is around, and then get on the net and look up "gun ranges", as well as IPSC, IDPA, "wildcat shoots". "old west shoots", bench rest shoots, etc. by state or national org. Call, write, or email the various national groups and ask what they have in your area/who to contact.

Go to the local matches and watch. If the club is a bunch of inbreed idiot anti-stranger hicks who "don't want no new blood in their clan" (and I have been to a few of those clubs, even though a bunch of them came to my club to shoot, so I knew about half the shooters there), just go to a different club and see if they greet you with open arms or not. Expect to drive some distances to the various clubs/marches/groups. Around here I can hit a different shoot every weekend if I want to drive 30 to 120 miles (closest 1000 yard range) each way.

Remember this is supposed to be fun, not something you hate or dread going to because they don't like "new blood". Just leave and find a group that welcomes you with open arms, that is happy that you came and is willing to help. Good luck and have fun.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top