JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Skier, I am a bargain hunter from the time I was born 63 years ago. At work when I was in my 20's the joke going around was everyone could tell what was on sale at the grocery store ads that week by what I was eating for lunch. In all my years of driving I have not paid over $1500.00 for a car or truck and the one time I did it was the biggest POS I ever owned. My wife drives the car with less than 100,000 miles that I bought 2 years ago and my car has a little over 100,000 miles that I bought for $800.00. I bought .32 auto less than they want for it now during the height of the ammo crisis but I bought it online. In the last 2 years I have not bought any ammo from any brick and mortar store because they either don't have it or they want more than I want to pay. I wasn't trying to rile you, just pointing out what I thought was a decent buy.

Ok. I considered 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 in the Sig556R. I still want both. I held off getting .22 rifles for my kids because of the ammo shortage. Bricks are spotted and sell out FAST(first hour for 12 to 20 boxes at my local bi-mart) at any store so if you see one (most stores have a one brick limit) GET IT IN YOUR HANDS!!! If you dont have the cash in your pocket and have to run home to get it, stick it behind a stack of "feminine products" or underneath products that are out of season, put your car on stealth invisible mode and drive like a bat out of He!! to get the cash. (no wallet on me and i live a mile from the store! ;) :s0112: Watch for BUCKETS, (took 8 hours to sell 16 buckets at Fred Meyers last time)nobody looks for buckets they are looking for bricks and lots of manufacturers sell 1000-2000 round buckets, i got a couple 1400 round buckets at .05 cents a round, and same price on a lot of 3000 rounds from a forum member. If you see the ammo buy it, its cheaper to buy the ammo for .22 first then buy the guns when you know you have the supply. You cant lose out cause if you decide against the guns after you buy the ammo you can post it on this site and have 299 responses in the first hour its posted :s0112: Good Luck!!!

WebRat,

Reading through this thread and at the conclusions you reached because of the responses please allow me to be the dissenting opinion here. The most appropriate advice to you, in my opinion, would be to go to your local gun store. Check out the latest offerings. Pick up the pistols, see what feels best in your hand.
Went to the Gun Show yesterday and got to see all the different styles and models.

Go to a local range where you could rent a firearms and try a few of them out. Again seeing what feels good to you.
Went to the Clackamas indoor range today and rented the Glock 19, seems like a good gun but will rent a 1911 next time.

Lastly, and probably most importantly, it seems from your original post that perhaps you are not as familiar with many of the firearms on the market and with functionality of many of those firearms. Perhaps a good course of action would be to take a basic pistol course and or rifle course. As well as a personal protection inside the home course. There are a number of good classes in the local area. Knowledge is power. Before you buy a gun simply based on the opinions of a few folks on the internet, you will be well served to educate yourself further. If you buy a gun you are not familiar with and not entirely sure how to operate you simply increase your safety concerns and risk factors.

Just my opinion. Take care.
Going to look into taking classes, thanks for all the info from everyone!

Went to the Gun Show yesterday and got to see all the different styles and models.

Went to the Clackamas indoor range today and rented the Glock 19, seems like a good gun but will rent a 1911 next time.

Going to look into taking classes, thanks for all the info from everyone!

Good for you. BTW, the NRA Basic Pistol class is a great start, and not very expensive.

Skier, ... I wasn't trying to rile you, just pointing out what I thought was a decent buy.

No worries, I didn't feel riled. :) I was just clarifying my MO and why it makes sense for me to just "keep an eye out" for stuff to be in stock locally, getting me a good price by just patience and persistence.

LOL, regarding "everyone could tell what was on sale at the grocery store ads that week by what I was eating for lunch." :)

-Skier

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top