JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is what I'm talking about. Dull the lowest spike, so it can't snag any clothing.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-HkfrMLFIxmLC38oN-YrrDoP8_xT4rI97fvBSpImIHwIsQjSR.jpg

Having a viable trade will always be more in demand than "middle management". I actually make more than my white collar-type immediate manager/boss. ;)
I am white collar, but not management.

There are a lot of white collar jobs that are not management.

I wouldn't want to be working full time in management. I prefer working with machines (currently writing code) than managing people and/or processes. Unfortunately I have somehow found myself the unofficial "lead" on a project because someone had to do it and no one else would.

That said, I can turn a wrench, weld, cut and split wood, operate and fix machinery of all kinds, among other things. I am just getting too old to do anything that involves manual labor on a consistent basis.

What's your occupation?

I'm a 24-yr. journeyman HVAC service tech, but I'm not the vision of the dopey buck-toothed specimen that usually comes to one's mind.

I hold a (much coveted) Oregon class-5 boiler license, and a Oregon LEB (ltd. class of electrical license). I work on (and install) everything from Cleaver-Brooks boilers the size of semi-truck/trailers, chillers, cooling towers atop sky-scrapers, to VAV, building automated environmental controls, to light commercial rooftop gas-packs, residential split AC systems, and them "new fangled" ductless split AC/HP systems.

I'm a wrench turning mechanic, mechanical troubleshooter (they call me "the Jedi" and "machine whisperer" at work), engineer, electrician, pipe fitter, computer/network geek, certified Union foreman that runs multi-million dollar (or multi-thousand) jobs, comic relief, and part-time riot control force. It's a far cry from my Army Infantry and gypo-logger days, and it pays WAY better.

I only divulge such details because you asked, I'm usually pretty humble. :rolleyes:

Lol! Humility is a long term goal.
I've learned a fair amount in being a salesman. I'm in a technical field. I will just leave it at that. Made great money. And even then, I will make sure my kids never become a salesman. The money is great, but it has it's ups and downs. I feel get a trade, and be the expert. Like you! If not that, get a specialized degree. More than a 4 year like me.
I'm jealous bro. I'm very good with me hands. My dad is money driven though, and not confident that trades can pay well, but mostly, pay confidence, and you can say, I built that son...

LOL.... I do that, "I built that" thing every time we're in the car driving around. You tend to leave a mark around town after 24yrs.

It got to the point that when I said, "see that building over there?", the family would roll their eyes and say,'"yeah, yeah, dad, you worked on that building".

I got 'em good once though.... I asked my usual "see that building?" Then before I got the usual eye rolls and sighs I said,"I never worked on that one.".... They busted out laughing pretty hard at that one. :D

I'm a 24-yr. journeyman HVAC service tech, but I'm not the vision of the dopey buck-toothed specimen that usually comes to one's mind.

I hold a (much coveted) Oregon class-5 boiler license, and a Oregon LEB (ltd. class of electrical license). I work on (and install) everything from Cleaver-Brooks boilers the size of semi-truck/trailers, chillers, cooling towers atop sky-scrapers, to VAV, building automated environmental controls, to light commercial rooftop gas-packs, residential split AC systems, and them "new fangled" ductless split AC/HP systems.

I'm a wrench turning mechanic, mechanical troubleshooter (they call me "the Jedi" and "machine whisperer" at work), engineer, electrician, pipe fitter, computer/network geek, certified Union foreman that runs multi-million dollar (or multi-thousand) jobs, comic relief, and part-time riot control force. It's a far cry from my Army Infantry and gypo-logger days, and it pays WAY better.

I only divulge such details because you asked, I'm usually pretty humble. :rolleyes:

I was this close () to call in B.S. on ya, then I reread the first 2 sentences again (24 year journeyman) somehow I assumed you meant 24 year old...
There is only 1 superman & yer lookin at em....:p

Explain that so more. I keep my body to off to the left?

That's exactly right, Hunter! Another thing is to start with a relief cut on the opposite side to prevent the chain binding.

PS: I learned to handle a chainsaw in the early '70s by reading "Barnacle Parfs Chainsaw Guide" in Mother Earth News. If you Google it there are several formats. Good luck! SRG

Last Edited:
The last thing you want is to have the saw kick back out of the log/tree and into your face/neck.
That's why you position your body off to one side.

Get a plastic wedge and after starting a cut that might bind, stick the wedge into the top of the cut and then continue cutting, letting the plastic wedge keep the cut from binding.
If the saw bucks upward, it won't hurt the chains cutting teeth.

Another thought, let the saw do the work. Don't force it, forcing the cut takes years off of your saws life! If you have to force it it's time to sharpen the chain.

All this talk about cutting firewood sure brings up a lot of memories, most of them bad.
I would cut firewood for myself, and also cord wood for sale to help make ends meet.
I made every mistake possible with a chainsaw, and only because I'm the luckiest guy around, did it keep me from killing myself a dozen times over. When things go bad, it happens in a hurry.
One of my most thrilling escapes from certain death was with an old vintage 30" Remington S754 saw that was given to me, because it was to heavy compared to the newer made ones.
Once started, it would cut through anything in a fury.
I lived next to some BLM land that had a bunch of blow downs and I had my eye on a rather large fir tree that was right next to the road, but overhanging a small stream bed.
Luckily, there was a couple of skinny fir trees that had fallen parallel underneath the big one that I could walk on and trim the branches off, then buck it to length so I could winch the short logs to the road.
Things were going great until I cut the top section off.
Once the weight of the tree top came off, it quickly started to move upright because of the massive root ball.
The saw was jerked out of my hands, and I was flung backward off the pecker pole I was standing on.
I landed on my back down into a clump of ferns and watched with horror as the saw went arching upwards, then downwards towards me running at full tilt.
I forgot to mention that the throttle would stick wide open some times.
The saw blade plunged into the ground right between my legs and never did stall out as it tried to dig it's way to China. I never used that saw again.

s754-before-2.JPG

Last Edited:
Thanks. I really need to analyze what trailer to get. I'd love to be able to load 3-4 cord on a trailer. Anybody been down this road? I know your not watching the civil war. Well I am. But it's ugly.
be careful about getting to big of a trailer, and if you get a real big one, make sure the brakes are up to the task of coming down steep mountainous roads. I remember back when i was a young buck,hauling a couple cords of wood,, being snow plowed down a mountain road by my trailer because the brakes were insufficient.

Ok. Over here, it has to be dead. No green wood.
Here's a question. Who here uses wood to heat there home? As mentioned I have a gas furnace. I just think it's cheaper to use wood. My boys get to work like a man also.
But question is. How many cord would I need for the winter, if I have a sound, no draft home.
Heat all day. Wife's at home.

I heat with wood. Where I am gas would be cheaper I believe. This year I got three cords for $750.00, felt I got screwed though. I don't like burning conifer due to sap and requiring yearly cleaning of the chimney. I like alder, maple, cherry is excellent, had a couple cord of ash once, really good stuff ash. I don't need the heat oak gives and it's going to cost you $350.00 a cord and most time it's not seasoned well, green oak takes well more time to season than others.

I usually want to get my wood semi seasoned, in June or earlier so I can stack and finish season at home. What I'v been running into the last three or so years is, instead of getting some fresh split I get what was left in the yard so there is dry rot, mud, a bunch of filth and scrappy crap. Used to be a few dependable guys a person could afford in PDX, now they all come from Estacada or Mollala or such and they want a bunch of extra $$ for delivery.

To your question of how much? If you're burning fir/conifer I'd say four cords at a minimum. I could be way off base so anyone wanna disagree, go for it, I may learn something!

Mike

Thanks mike.
I go cut my own. And that can make it un front expensive. You paid 750.00 for three cord. I pay 25.00 for a permit. But I need a saw, and trailer. And gas to drive up and back.
I'd like to become a opportunistic guy who gets wood for free. Someone who needs it gone and such. But being in Idaho that's a tougher goal. Not as many trees in the valley!
I've read folks online aching they burn 15-20 cord a year. That's a little hard to believe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top