JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've never owned my own chainsaw. Never really needed to. But I picked up a Stihl M291.
It seems to be a nice saw. We have a HE Natural gas furnace. But, we also have a nice Fisher wood stove. I haven't turned on the furnace yet, and I don't want to. I'm a mans man, but I've got a HEALTHY amount of fear for a chainsaw. I run a green chain. And that's just fine with me.
Now I need a bigger trailer. 6x10 single axle ain't gonna cut it.

I remember when my Polish Grandfather was given his first chainsaw as a Christmas gift from his sons. After trying it out for a couple of weeks he complained that it was taking him longer to cut a cord of wood than with his old bucksaw...so he wanted the boys to take it and get their money back. My dad figured he'd test it and see if there was a problem....2 quick pulls on the cord,and it roared to life!... he made a couple quick cuts and turned it off.....That's when Gramp's in his union suit came flying out of the house, overshoes flapping, pushing a shell into his shotgun, hollering, "Co to do cholery było cholernie rakieta ** !!"

** " What the Hell was that damn racket??"

Holy sheet. Gramps tried to cut with the chain without engine on? I bit to tell ya, if that's what it takes to say it in polish, I'm out! I wonder what Polish would sound like with a twist of Ebonics.

I moved into my first house 20 years ago (still live there) and bought a Stihl FS36 weed eater and a Craftsman 20" chainsaw. This spring the W.E. went T U so I bought a new one & jumped up to the FS40 which I do not like, it is shorter & I can't move the handle at all to make it comfortable (have to bend slightly & hurts my lower back).
I'm gonna sell it & have the old one refurbished. I hate new crap!!!
On another note my 20 year old Craftsman chainsaw needs a new carburetor & will be ready to go for another season . I love old crap!!!!!
Good luck with your new chainsaw. :)

Thanks. I really need to analyze what trailer to get. I'd love to be able to load 3-4 cord on a trailer. Anybody been down this road? I know your not watching the civil war. Well I am. But it's ugly.

I moved into my first house 20 years ago (still live there) and bought a Stihl FS36 weed eater and a Craftsman 20" chainsaw. This spring the W.E. went T U so I bought a new one & jumped up to the FS40 which I do not like, it is shorter & I can't move the handle at all to make it comfortable (have to bend slightly & hurts my lower back).
I'm gonna sell it & have the old one refurbished. I hate new crap!!!
On another note my 20 year old Craftsman chainsaw needs a new carburetor & will be ready to go for another season . I love old crap!!!!!
Good luck with your new chainsaw. :)
I have the FS70r. It's nice. BUT... I will never be able to barber up a lawns edge with a gas eater. The electric are lighter and easier to sharpen up that edge.

Oregon hunter: It's always good to have respect for a chain saw. Damn things can bite ya' sometimes.
Several years ago, I was dropping a big ole" ponderosa, It did not land where I wanted it to. It
landed on the top of the neighbors ponderosa's { as in 2 to 3} Crushing them to the ground I might add.
:eek:ahhhhh. I was so thankful they were not home at the time. :eek:ahhhhhhhhh. I think I even mentioned to them,that we had gale force winds while they were gone. :D

O how I love the sound of a saw on a cool morning..my first Stihl had a green chain also I quickly ditched it and started running yellow chains and never looked back.I have never had any kickback issues or such.I have a 026 for the small stuff and a 440 for the bigger.:D dang now I wanna cut down a tree ;)..It sure is hard to beat wood heat

10610615_304165196445019_7442497863557028428_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yours is bigger than mine. Wait....that didn't com out right.
Those bigger saws sound like a CR125 attached to a chan. Crazy power.
It's an MS461R - I got the larger one so it could power things like a winch or an auger attachment. I also wanted something that could handle the largest of my trees if one fell during a windstorm and I had to buck it up.

For stumps and large logs its okay, but for most of my cutting it is too large. I need to get a shorter bar.

Ahhh.... Takes me back to my gypo logger days!! I really loved that gig, but Weyerhaeuser was ripping us off so DAMNED bad at the grading scales we couldn't keep going, and if you complained you'd get blackballed and NOBODY would take your timber for any price.

The following year the State busted them for "downgrading" logs, but alas it was too little too late for us. :mad:

Here's a little safety tip.
On the chainsaw's dog teeth (bumper spikes) don't sharpen the bottom one, cause that's the one that will grab your pants and pull the chain into your leg (more then likely while it's running).
38 stitches later taught me that trick.

Here's a little safety tip.
On the chainsaw's dog teeth (bumper spikes) don't sharpen the bottom one, cause that's the one that will grab your pants and pull the chain into your leg (more then likely while it's running).
38 stitches later taught me that trick.
Maybe I'm better just buying new chains instead of sharpening?

Ahhh.... Takes me back to my gypo logger days!! I really loved that gig, but Weyerhaeuser was ripping us off so DAMNED bad at the grading scales we couldn't keep going, and if you complained you'd get blackballed and NOBODY would take your timber for any price.

The following year the State busted them for "downgrading" logs, but alas it was too little too late for us. :mad:
Ah that's called free enterprise! Joking. When I hear stories like this, I get really pissed off. To the point, that if I could make a switch, if be blue collar not white collar right now. I always wanted to be a cop, electrian, farmer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top