JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A lot depends on your outside temp, how well insulated your house is, how many windows you have, how big the windows are, if they are double/triple pane, whether you have insulating curtains, how big the house is, how warm you need it to feel comfortable, how long your winter lasts, how shielded you are from the wind and so on.

I have a well insulated house, 1700 SF, the winters here are relatively mild, but I have a set of large windows near the stove and a sliding glass door, neither of which have insulating curtains. I live alone, my house has tall trees for a wind break, but I am on a mountain at about 1000 feet so it is colder and more windy here than in the valleys below.

I don't heat with wood all the time, just burn it when I am home all day. I would say I would use at least a cord a month, possibly more, if I had to heat solely with wood and I stayed home all day every day.

My wood is mixed, fir, some hemlock, and maple (some alder, but mostly maple).

The maple lasts noticeably longer and produces more heat, I use the fir to get things going well and lay a bed of coals necessary to burn the maple well. I don't burn at night when I go to bed - I sleep best with cool fresh air.

Thanks mike.
I go cut my own. And that can make it un front expensive. You paid 750.00 for three cord. I pay 25.00 for a permit. But I need a saw, and trailer. And gas to drive up and back.
I'd like to become a opportunistic guy who gets wood for free. Someone who needs it gone and such. But being in Idaho that's a tougher goal. Not as many trees in the valley!
I've read folks online aching they burn 15-20 cord a year. That's a little hard to believe.

Don't forget the part about the good body to cut, schlep, haul, split and stack! My house was built in 1977 and I have top of the line insulation from that period with double pane vinyl windows. I too only burn during the day if I'm home. On occasions, LIKE NOW, I'll put a couple extra logs in the stove before I go to bed.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top