JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
vOl,

Yeah, it's always full of my kinda people, but it's not 'just' a saw shop, they sell all kinds of Stihl equipment and parts as well as big and little mowers, Toros that is.

my dealer always sell me bosch or NGK spark plugs for my stihl which can be found online for sure. other than that, fuel filter, fuel lines, airfilters i buy off amazon or ebay. usually not factory stuff but it works and comparing them side to side i cant tell a difference TBH. i did buy a couple factory stihl crank seals last year.

I've owned / operated more Stihls than I can remember. We have two at the present. I can't recommend them enough nor ever see a need to change brands. I use our saws a lot to harvest most of our winter fuel. (Very little experience with the Husqvarna, but from what I've seen and been told, you probably won't be let down. No idea on the Echo.)

vOl,

So, I can find non-factory, but quite workable parts for Stihl?

Great!

The parts for my Husky I bought on the internet, including NGK plugs, but man it took a long time for those plugs to come in.

WTH?

And at this point, I no longer go to my saw shop to have my chains sharpened.

Why not?

Economics.

I can buy a brand new chain for only a few bucks more and it stays sharp longer, than having one sharpened.

Tha Stihls are good, Many of the Husqvarna are very good as well. I've had mine for years and it runs great. I keep the craftsman around fir limbing as it has a small blade. Were I to buy something to replace it I would bother with craftsman again. To much vibration.
Only real complaint I have with Stihl's are they are sometimes very temperamental. I hate the connector to the spark plug they used to use, hopefully some idiot finally got smart and got rid of the stupid hook. You get it undone good luck getting your spark plug connector working again without a trip to the shop.
I've had way more issues getting Stihls started than I ever had with my Husqvarna equipment.

For a little inside info, Stihl are better for cutting light to medium wood FAST, where as Husky professionals are for the SERIOUS cutting where you need lots to chain ripping power, but they are not as fast! I dont recomend any othet brand then those two. In the 70s and 80s, Home Lite were king, and if you can find one with good compression, GRAB IT!

I use both Stihl and Husky, i like the Stihl 390 ( Farm Boss) for most general needs, it light enough and yet has lots of power when called for and runs a 26 inch bar with zero issue, even in pitchy woods!
The Husky 460 is for bucking large trees, and the 535 is for felling or used for "Rolling" during large road clearing operatiins! I have to mainyain fire access roads, so my saws get used a lot, and hard!

If your planning to do any bucking, for gosh sake, get bucking spikes on your saw, will really save your legs and prevent kick backs!

vOl,

So, I can find non-factory, but quite workable parts for Stihl?

Great!

The parts for my Husky I bought on the internet, including NGK plugs, but man it took a long time for those plugs to come in.

WTH?

And at this point, I no longer go to my saw shop to have my chains sharpened.

Why not?

Economics.

I can buy a brand new chain for only a few bucks more and it stays sharp longer, than having one sharpened.
yes, i buy oregon chains and rim sprockets. amazon has a LOT of ms260 and ms390 parts. this is part of the reason i bought the 026(older but near identical to the ms260)over something like an ms250...parts availability from the aftermarket.

And I have a bunch more to go!
Husky 51 at the bottom.

IMG_1500.JPG

I got a Husky 372xp with a 32" bar back in 2002 and used it to cut more cords of dead "live"oak in the southern Sierras than i can count. It's big and heavy but works every time. Three years ago i got a stihl with a 24" bar and now i only pull out the husky to fell stuff that is just too big for the sthil. Buy a Sthil that are wonderful.

For a little inside info, Stihl are better for cutting light to medium wood FAST, where as Husky professionals are for the SERIOUS cutting where you need lots to chain ripping power, but they are not as fast! I dont recomend any othet brand then those two. In the 70s and 80s, Home Lite were king, and if you can find one with good compression, GRAB IT!

I use both Stihl and Husky, i like the Stihl 390 ( Farm Boss) for most general needs, it light enough and yet has lots of power when called for and runs a 26 inch bar with zero issue, even in pitchy woods!
The Husky 460 is for bucking large trees, and the 535 is for felling or used for "Rolling" during large road clearing operatiins! I have to mainyain fire access roads, so my saws get used a lot, and hard!

If your planning to do any bucking, for gosh sake, get bucking spikes on your saw, will really save your legs and prevent kick backs!

Yeah, back in the day those old Home Lites were unstoppable. I've dropped lots of big trees with an MS390 with 30" bar. It will handle it, regardless of what the salesmen say. ;)

I have Stihl. Nonetheless, if you are a part time user, what ever you pick, if you drain, and then run the gas out before wiping it down and putting it away, you will extend the time between maintenance, considerably.

Hehe, a pic from a logging trip this past fall. In the upper left you can see one of the Stihls. In the bottom right, the fuel for it. In the middle of said "Stainless Steel Provider" (my term) or "Shiny Pew" (daughter's sobriquet). :s0112:

486816-622e1a63245d2e1fad5a972d95ca135f-jpg.jpg

Does that include if one uses non-ethanol premium gas?:eek:

Good point. I don't run ethanol gas in some systems; chief among them the saws and the MULE. No es bueno for those. There is a couple stations in the area that offers said, albeit at inflated prices. There is a handy finder for said here. Cheers, friends. :)

Good point. I don't run ethanol gas in some systems; chief among them the saws and the MULE. No es bueno for those. There is a couple stations in the area that offers said, albeit at inflated prices. There is a handy finder for said here. Cheers, friends. :)

Outboard motors too!!! I guess the newer ones have different components, but in the older engines the ethanol was eating up the hoses, gaskets, etc...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top