JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Speaking only for myself here...
I am not a fan of contests when it involves killing.
To me , hunting or the taking of life , is not a sport or something that should be made into a contest.
So the easy answer for this , is for me , not to take part in any of these contests*...it shouldn't be to make a law against these activities.

Again it seems that the folks who have come up with a "solution" to a particular problem , do not have to live with the consequences of their "solution".
Andy
*Note :
I did not say that no one should take part in a wildlife killing contest , nor that these contests should be made illegal...
I just do not like them , nor will take part in them.
I make the note of this , 'cause lately it seems that some folks here , either by design or accident , mis-read or put their spin on what I have said.

Please don't refer to the "The Humane Society of the United States" HSUS as the "Humane society" ASPCA. ASPCA may be against these sort of contests but they are not radical nut jobs, like HSUS. Dembrow.....hmph. That's who I'm stuck with living in NE PDX. :( Where incidentally, I've seen two coyotes trotting down the street in the middle of the day, and seen coyote turds on the sidewalk!

Excuse the thread crap. It's just one of those things that twist me when I read it. Kinda' like "I could Care Less" when it supposed to be, well, you know. :rolleyes:

Andy is spot on!

Don't mistake my disgust with so-called 'killing contests' as pc.

It isn't.

It the kind of terminology that antis just love.

This sort of thing makes us pro-gun folk sound like mentally stunted, cruel adolescents.

I wouldn't be a fan of any organized "killing contest"! But as a veteran of many Bass fishing tourneys, I note that the article said "wildlife" which would also include fishing tournaments. However, said fishing tournaments are "catch and release", so I do approve the concept of a statewide effort to catch coyotes and release them in Salem and Portland to join the resident populations of human coyotes. :D

Completely mis-quoted the ODFW source in the article. A Furbearer license is not required for coyote, it is required for all the other animals that they listed in the article.

Ranchers opt have the plentiful sage rats (Belden ground squirrels) on their property shot rather than poison them, which would introduce those poisons into the environment, effecting raptors and other carnivores that would ingest said poisoned rats. Contests are a great way reduce to the sage rat population.

The bill is sponsored by Senators Golden, Sara Gelser (D-Corvallis), Michael Dembrow (D-Portland), Elizabeth Steiner Hayward (D-Portland/Beaverton) and Kathleen Taylor (D-Milwaukie), and Representatives Alissa Keny-Guyer (D-Portland), Courtney Neron (D-Aloha) and Rob Nosse (D-Portland).
Sounds like its sponsored by some real knowledgeable people with first hand experience with yotes.:p
Looks like a whole lotta ===D's in there.

I heard one of the pols state that "reproductive rights" should only be decided by child bearers.

I suggested to my wife that someone should argue that 2A infringement bills only be decided by gun owners.

This may be yet another reason I am not fit to hold public office.

Didn't know they had these competitions, I suppose I'll sign up if I ever get the chance... :D

I probably would have supported this bill before I moved to a small town where you can hear dozens howling some nights.
Once you hear 30 or so yotes howling within a mile or two of your house, you start feeling differently about hunting them.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top