JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds like those that are sponsoring the bill don't realize what ranchers have to deal with in order to make a profit.

The article focused on coyote hunting. With good reason, it is legal to hunt coyotes year round, with no bag limit, and with no weapon restrictions. From a wildlife management standpoint, how is adding a contest all that different? My hunch is the Humane Society simply doesn't like it.

how is adding a contest all that different?
Its not.
Heck I have hunted 'yotes nearly all my life for no prizes!
As long as the organizers of these contests are following any applicable public land use laws (if they are doing this on public land) I see NO problems with it.

The bill is sponsored by Senators Golden, Sara Gelser (D-Corvallis), Michael Dembrow (D-Portland), Elizabeth Steiner Hayward (D-Portland/Beaverton) and Kathleen Taylor (D-Milwaukie), and Representatives Alissa Keny-Guyer (D-Portland), Courtney Neron (D-Aloha) and Rob Nosse (D-Portland).
Sounds like its sponsored by some real knowledgeable people with first hand experience with yotes.:p

On Wednesday, the Humane Society of the U.S. released findings from an "undercover investigation" into a coyote killing tournament in the eastern Oregon town of Burns.

This is a excerpt from this 'investigation':

In the crosshairs are coyotes, bobcats, foxes, rabbits, squirrels and even mountain lions, among other animals, and the winner is often whoever kills the heaviest or the most animals.

Well this list includes three animals (and maybe a fourth - certain squirrels, bobcats, foxes and mountain lions) that are regulated and cannot be killed indiscriminately to rack up a score.

This is a excerpt from this 'investigation':

In the crosshairs are coyotes, bobcats, foxes, rabbits, squirrels and even mountain lions, among other animals, and the winner is often whoever kills the heaviest or the most animals.

Well this list includes three animals (and maybe a fourth - certain squirrels, bobcats, foxes and mountain lions) that are regulated and cannot be killed indiscriminately to rack up a score.
Just more virtue signaling by legislators that k ow not what they speak of...

Last Edited:
Just more cirtue signaling by legislators that k ow not what they speak of...
I agree - this sets a bad precedent however - legislators allowing themselves to be influenced by the Humane Society without researching it themselves.
So what is essentially a legal sport will be affected by some 'bleeding hearts'.
Whats next? sage rat hunting controlled because some landowners are charging people to shoot as many as they can?

City folks.

Bless their little hearts.

We know of 6 lions in our area - and that's way too many. If they make it difficult to control the coyotes' population, the same thing will likely happen with them.

Good response on the article comment section Howard. No tolerance from the city folks; hopefully the coyotes move into town and start picking off their poodles.

The bill is sponsored by Senators Golden, Sara Gelser (D-Corvallis), Michael Dembrow (D-Portland), Elizabeth Steiner Hayward (D-Portland/Beaverton) and Kathleen Taylor (D-Milwaukie), and Representatives Alissa Keny-Guyer (D-Portland), Courtney Neron (D-Aloha) and Rob Nosse (D-Portland).
Sounds like its sponsored by some real knowledgeable people with first hand experience with yotes.:p
This appears to be a list of people who haven't had their precious Yorkiepoo snatched up yet.

Haha, indeed, I'm sure these folks are completely familiar with life in the expansive, beautiful but wild, rural country found in quite a bit of the state not located in Portlandia. :s0165:

I was unaware that Oregon hunters need a special "furtaker's" license. When did that start. Must be pretty recent. I haven't hunted dogs for a couple seasons. So, under SB723, it will be an A Misdemeanor if I go with a friend and have a friendly wager who will drop the most or biggest coyote? Contests have always been a fun and efficient way to thin the vermin. More biased "investigating". Setting out to prove a hypothesis without consideration of the positive outcomes or other relevant variables of coyote reduction in ag land. In addition to a tasty poodle from time to time, and an occasional house cat, packs of coyotes are recreational killers. I guess none of the secret squirrel HSUS investigators have never seen a pasture strewn with dead lambs. The Portlandia legislators have no interest in anything east of I-5.

I bet after Sen. Golden was approached by H$U$ he became very interested.

OK...one more comment and I will stop (this just gets me going....coyotes are not cute little dogs).

How is it these "law makers" "Rulers of Oregon"....once a free state..... want to make it a crime to kill coyotes but it is ok with them to kill unborn children at any stage in pregnancy? And make tax-payers who find it morally reprehensible, pay for abortions?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR