JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
grabbing the scruff of the neck and saying NO loudly isn't abuse IMO.

Nope, I do this too rarely, and when my dog deserves it, like if he nips me or is a total A hole to another dog. I flip him over, pin him. And give a stern no. Works great and he gets 100x more praise than scolding.

I can hear him open the crate, smack the dog around, and close it again. This morning he was saying "look at this look at this" and smacking it. Or yesterday he smacked it for barking. Just not worthwhile training at all.

If they are within on month of moving in, I'd say go knock on the door with the wife and a bottle of wine or six pack of beer.

Breaking the barrier could help open the door to conversations. Which could eventually lead to talking about dogs.

Though we all moved in at the same time, I brought both my direct neighbors both a bottle of wine and a six pack of beer.

I really enjoy one of my two neighbors, they have been over many times and we are overdue to get together for dinner or something.

The other neighbors, with the dogs, though we do not talk much and they are relatively quiet, are more approachable I feel due to the olive branch I extended at the time of move in.

Once they move and the new neighbors get settled, I'll likely do the same again and bring over some beer and wine.

It is hard to go after a neighbor for anything! I stood up against my HOA a few years back and a few houses over is the Boards President. I am glad they aren't right next to me, but that fiasco still has a weird feeling in the air each time I see them out walking the dog or getting the mail.

Neighbors can really suck, I have learned it is best to be nice and get to know them as much as possible.

This is good advise. Sounds like a welcome gift is the right way to go and not even mention the dog at first.

Video him and call animal control.

Hell if can see you on the porch then maybe just start with being very obvious you are taping him with your phone and see if that tapers things down.

If not call animal control and show them the videos.

Teach your lady how to shoot your gun if she doesn't already for when she is alone.

Any way to crate your dog inside or give it a room with a door/hall with a gate?

Put up a couple fake cameras - you can fill the 2 screw hole so whem you move.

All easier said then done but likely you won't ever have to deal with retribution - animal and wife beaters are cowards at heart.

I'm with you, I get livid when I see dogs mistreated... or any animal really.
Wife can shoot but doesn't take it very serious. She has my loaded vp9 by her side of the bed and a 20 ga she can load up if needed.

Dog stays inside unless he is walking with us, or using the restroom.

Video is a good idea, although it will just be audio most likely.

I'm not a confrontational person but I couldn't allow myself to stand by while an animal (or person) is abused. I'd try it once the easy way, after that I'd present evidence of abuse to the authorities, and if that doesn't work I'd have to do it the hard way.

I feel the same way, and if it was just me it wouldn't be a question, but my wife is adamant about the risk to her and our dog.

I feel like it is a loose loose. I can't live with myself if I don't stop it, and I couldn't live with myself if my actions led to my wife or dog getting hurt.

All it takes is a peace of meat soaked in antifreeze or rat poison that my dog snatches up during his morning pee, and then dog is dead, neighbor is dead, and I am in prison and my wife is essentially a widow.

:(

I feel the same way, and if it was just me it wouldn't be a question, but my wife is adamant about the risk to her and our dog.

I feel like it is a loose loose. I can't live with myself if I don't stop it, and I couldn't live with myself if my actions led to my wife or dog getting hurt.

All it takes is a peace of meat soaked in antifreeze or rat poison that my dog snatches up during his morning pee, and then dog is dead, neighbor is dead, and I am in prison and my wife is essentially a widow.

:(

I hear you. That's why I moved to the woods.

I just asked my wife about the 6 pack and cordial conversation idea. She shot it down.

Going to try and get video so I have that. And maybe mount some fake or real cammeras out front and out back.

Thanks everyone for the patience, advice, encouragement, and kind words.

Thanks also for not letting this turn into a peeing contest about how we would all go kick this guys butt. Fun to vent but not useful, since Unfortunatly that is not the world we live in anymore.

Thanks everyone for the patience, advice, encouragement, and kind words.

Thanks also for not letting this turn into a peeing contest about how we would all go kick this guys butt. Fun to vent but not useful, since Unfortunatly that is not the world we live in anymore.
Community is what makes us strong. We have a very strong community here. I'd really hate to see your world turn upside down over some bubblegum

I just asked my wife about the 6 pack and cordial conversation idea. She shot it down.

Going to try and get video so I have that. And maybe mount some fake or real cammeras out front and out back.
Look into Arlo. Great easy system for surveillance needs.

Sucks having to live feet away from a complete stranger. Especially when they aren't the greatest version of a decent person.

I wish you the best in your neighborhood relations!

You have to make sure he is abuse the dog .
A smack on the nose or butt is nothing with deep voice commands .
But kicking screaming and doing dog training with out treats or calm voice is a different thing lol I have a sister that takes care of rescue dogs .mmmm so that means I TAKE CARE OF RESCUE DOGS .
Voice commands are very important a physical contacts my be needed but a punch or kick is not necessary

This guy has probably never put food in the dogs bowl .
Most dogs will respond to those that feed them if she feeds the dog then leaves the dog WON'T trust him .
This is where the voice commands and the tone of you're voice come in to play deep voice is a command light voice is let's play .
There should never be hitting or kicking yelling screaming . unless you're training a military dog or a police dog .then that should be left to really really really professional trainers

You see these stories where the police dog PROTECT his owner at all costs .or a dog PROTECT a family at all costs . dogs will do or PROTECT the ones that feed them or treat them like they should .
It doesn't have to be a big dog or little dog .just Barking to let you know something isn't right .some breads of dogs are very quiet they don't bark they just reach like the doberman don't bark just bite German Shepherd don't really bark unless they are TRAINED to do so but both great family gaurd dogs the military and police use the German Shepherd and the other breed I can't remember what it is but .these dogs will die before they let any thing happen to there owner

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top