JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I built the ak from an akbuilder flat so it didn't come with anything. I suppose I should ask if thats a problem.
I'll probably just put something on the cheaper side on it. Its really only for fun so I don't want to get more money tied up in the scope and mounts than it took to build the gun

Man that looks like a cool setup, I was look at the UTG which was made out of one piece of aluminum, available on Amazon I think is where I saw it. The reiciever base didn't look so choppy either as it was cast.

If your willing to spend some money on your mount, this is what I would recommend <broken link removed> I'm currently running the Gen 1 mount which is similar to Krebs Custom receiver rail system but less than half the cost. Enables a rail mounting system the length of the dust cover and the ability to maintain iron sights if you so choose.

If your willing to spend some money on your mount, this is what I would recommend <broken link removed> I'm currently running the Gen 1 mount which is similar to Krebs Custom receiver rail system but less than half the cost. Enables a rail mounting system the length of the dust cover and the ability to maintain iron sights if you so choose.

Does it hold zero every time you remove it to clean the gun?

Keith

Well, I got my PK-A red dot. I stuck it on one of my Saigas to play around with it.

It is of typical solid Russian (Belarusian, actually) construction, with a high degree of fit and finish. There is an orange coating on the objective glass, presumably to cut down on glare. If I'm 'reading' my instruction manual correctly (its in Belarusian too), the red dot is 1 moa, and the exit pupil is 20mm. There are 8 brightness settings. On the brightest of settings, there are some internal reflections that distort the size of the red dot somewhat, but on the medium and lowest settings these reflections disappear. Overall for $202 shipped insured from Belarus, as an AK purist I'm quite happy with it.

Keith

^^^This is it^^^

Forget all the other BS

There is no doubt that an Ultimak combined with a T-1 is a good combination, but the necessary tight cheekweld can be restrictive when on the move. There is a reason that the Rooskies designed their mounts/scopes a tad high, and you still get the use of the irons if required. Compromise, compromise :) .

Keith

Check out the setups over on the saiga 12 forum, they just created an optics section. Most pictures I've seen have the Ultimak gas tube rail for red-dots and side rail mounted POSP's if they need some magnification.

There is no doubt that an Ultimak combined with a T-1 is a good combination, but the necessary tight cheekweld can be restrictive when on the move. There is a reason that the Rooskies designed their mounts/scopes a tad high, and you still get the use of the irons if required. Compromise, compromise :) .

Keith

Would a side-rail mounted magnified optic work in combination with an H-1 on an ultimak, or is this too complicated/cluttered?
Also, how do you figure offset using a side rail mounted optic? At 25 yrds, 50, 100? I'm thinking of this combo for an Arsenal 106 in 5.56.

Would a side-rail mounted magnified optic work in combination with an H-1 on an ultimak, or is this too complicated/cluttered?
Also, how do you figure offset using a side rail mounted optic? At 25 yrds, 50, 100? I'm thinking of this combo for an Arsenal 106 in 5.56.

Regarding the first question, I couldn't answer that. I'm guessing if you were using a small micro on the Unimak (about the same height as the irons) and a conventional side rail optic on the reciever, it would probably work. Its probably too cluttered, though.

Regarding the second question...with these offset sights, you zero the optic for a set distance (a typical 'battle zero' for an AKM/AK74 etc. is 100 meters), then, without adjusting the turrets, proportionally aim lower and slightly to the right for closer targets and higher and slightly to the left for farther targets. You will have to then practice with your rifle to see how it shoots at various distances. This guestimating method of aiming is essentially how most countries' soldiers are taught to shoot, regardless of scope choice, as there is usually no time to adjust for windage and elevation in combat anyway. The offset sight is built this way to allow a soldier to use the scope on the move without maintaining a tight cheekweld.

I suppose your choice of scope would be what you are most comfortable with. The over-the-bore scope will give you potentially better groupings at the range by eliminating parallax, maintaining a proper cheekweld and head alignment etc....BUT...its an AK, and can't cloverleaf at 100 yards anyway. And while few of us regularly visit active battlefields, the offset scope will potentially allow you to more quickly acquire fast moving targets like pests, small game, etc.

Keith

Last Edited:
Regarding the first question, I couldn't answer that. I'm guessing if you were using a small micro on the Unimak (about the same height as the irons) and a conventional side rail optic on the reciever, it would probably work. Its probably too cluttered, though.

Regarding the second question...with these offset sights, you zero the optic for a set distance (a typical 'battle zero' for an AKM/AK74 etc. is 100 meters), then, without adjusting the turrets, proportionally aim lower and slightly to the right for closer targets and higher and slightly to the left for farther targets. You will have to then practice with your rifle to see how it shoots at various distances. This guestimating method of aiming is essentially how most countrys' soldiers are taught to shoot, regardless of scope choice, as there is usually no time to adjust for windage and elevation in combat anyway. The offset sight is built this way to allow a soldier to use the scope on the move without maintaining a tight cheekweld.

I suppose your choice of scope would be what you are most comfortable with. The over-the-bore scope will give you potentially better groupings at the range by eliminating parallax, maintaining a proper cheekweld and head alignment etc....BUT...its an AK, and can't cloverleaf at 100 yards anyway. And while few of us regularly visit active battlefields, the offset scope will potentially allow you to more quickly acquire fast moving targets like pests, small game, etc.

Keith

Thanks for your reply. It's different from the ultimak/ micro set up, which I'm used to. But it would be nice to have the clear sight of a scope for once...I've been trying to train for moving while maintaining cheek weld, is this way a bit faster perhaps?

54057_1375521958505_1545520164_810988_7190969_o.jpg

Ultimak is a great option if you don't have a sight rail. I'm using one with a Gen 7 Primary Arms red dot, LOVE it. Co-witnesses too!

YouTube - Practical Rifle Match January 8th 2011

Go to 7:25 to see me use it ....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews