JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking i may want to put a scope or dot sight on my ak but I've seen several different kinds and am not sure what to get.
I don't want anything bulky or that sits to high and mounting one to the removable top cover seems like a bad idea.
I was thinking I might get myself a deer tag this year and see what I can do with the ak. I'm sure I'll be about as good as I've have in the past (meaning terrible) but figured it could be some good dad/kid time

Well, if I had an AK and was going to get an optic for it, I'd get one of the 1-4x PSO scopes from kalinkaoptics.com. It has that authentic Russian look to it. If I was going to use the AK seriously for practical rifle competitions and stuff I'd get a side rail->weaver adapter and put an Aimpoint micro on it.

You are correct in your assertion that the dust cover is not a good place to mount optics. I always lol when I see people doing that. You would never be able to zero the derned thing because the dust cover moves around way too much. The correct place to mount an optic on an AK is on the side rail. This is what was designed for mounting optics.

The other thing thats cool about the optic mount on the side is that you can find a mount so you can still use iron sights which I think is critical an any choice of sights for me.

I've heard great reviews of that red dot as well. I think it's insane to spend $450+ on a red dot.

I bought this mount for my AK, it holds rock solid, and I love the flip lever. You can slide the mount off in a second, and it holds zero (can't see iron sights with it on). I just rarely if ever use a optic on my AK, but it does the job.

Leapers AK Double Picatinny Rail Side Mount With Quick Detachable/Lock Lever MNT-978 FREE S&H MNT-978. Leapers UTG Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases, Leapers Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases.

If the scope is too high for a proper traditional cheekweld, try 'kissing the stock' (rolling forward on your cheek until your lips are pointed downward) and shooting with your left eye instead of your right. This is how I shoot my PSL. It was a method taught to Soviet, and now Russian soldiers, and works quite well with a PU sniper as well.

Keith

If the scope is too high for a proper traditional cheekweld, try 'kissing the stock' (rolling forward on your cheek until your lips are pointed downward) and shooting with your left eye instead of your right. This is how I shoot my PSL. It was a method taught to Soviet, and now Russian soldiers, and works quite well with a PU sniper as well.

Keith

Wut, that's some crazy stuff bro. I'll have to try that next time I get to handle a scoped AK. Left eye, eh? Crazy.

Spengo, I expect I'll have to shoot my regular AKs the same way (left eye, right hand stance) once my PK red dot arrives.

Wanna try something really freaky? Try shooting your AKs left hand stance. Nearly everything is easier to do...all types of reloads, malfunction drills, cycling the charging handle...pretty much everything except taking the safety off Safe. I shoot all of my AK rifles lefty when using open sights.

Keith

Spengo, I expect I'll have to shoot my regular AKs the same way (left eye, right hand stance) once my PK red dot arrives.

Wanna try something really freaky? Try shooting your AKs left hand stance. Nearly everything is easier to do...all types of reloads, malfunction drills, cycling the charging handle...pretty much everything except taking the safety off Safe. I shoot all of my AK rifles lefty when using open sights.

Keith

Yeah, AKs do seem to have controls designed for lefties. I have shot left handed, but I generally use my left eye when shooting left handed and right eye when shooting right handed. I am right handed and right eye dominant so I usually stick with my right side. I practice reaction side shooting because it is often required at practical rifle competitions. Normally I use a squared-to-target thumb-over-bore stance in competitions and that works well for me from either side. I have just never heard of or seen anyone doing right handed, left eyed shooting for serious use and my mind was boggled.

Yeah, it is a bit weird. I'm a righty who is grossly left eye dominant, so I shoot however I can get a proper cheek weld so I can use my left eye. For the PSL, Mosin PU etc, that's a righty position with that 'stock-kissing' position mentioned earlier. Otherwise, I'll shoot predominantly lefty position.

Keith

I've been considering an ultimak mount with a vortex strikefire or SPARC. I emailed vortex today and asked if it would hold up to the heat and scott said he's done a lot of full auto AK testing with that setup and hasn't had a problem.
I have a vector without the side mount so that's not an option for me even though it's probably the most secure.

I've been considering an ultimak mount with a vortex strikefire or SPARC. I emailed vortex today and asked if it would hold up to the heat and scott said he's done a lot of full auto AK testing with that setup and hasn't had a problem.
I have a vector without the side mount so that's not an option for me even though it's probably the most secure.

Let us know how the VORTEX works with the Ultimak. My Ultimak is very secure and allows for good cheek weld and co-witnessing. Aimpoint is the gold standard (there was a deal a while ago on R-1). I wonder if the redesigned EOTECH makes it better able to stand the heat that builds up with the Ultimak? Have you heard anything on that?

I wonder if the redesigned EOTECH makes it better able to stand the heat that builds up with the Ultimak? Have you heard anything on that?
I haven't heard anything about the new EOtech with regard to heat, just that the heat has killed some of the older ones.

This is what Scott said when I asked if the strikefire will hold up ok on an ultimak mount:
They stand up to heat exceedingly well. I have personally tested our red dots and continue to test them on basically the same exact set up you have for well over 20,000 rounds now. Most of the testing has been full auto and gets the sights extremely hot and I have yet to see even a hint of a problem. You will definitely want the lowest mount. If you have any further questions feel free to contact us anytime

I have one of these Primary Arms Micro Dot (Gen 7) and they sell them as a package with the ultimak mount. So far, I really like it but I have only put around 500 through the gun with it so I can't comment on durability but it's very light, low and the dot is nice and sharp. Previously I ran a Millett fixed reticle red dot and shot well over 5000 rounds with that one. I switched it out to save a little weight but back when I got it they were only $60 so I can't complain.

So I would need to buy something like this
sksakadap.jpg

And then this to go with it
plakcr.jpg

So I would need to buy something like this
sksakadap.jpg

And then this to go with it
plakcr.jpg

If your AK doesn't have the receiver base, than yes you'll need to install one.

The sight pictured has a weaver style mount...good to get if you also plan on using rings to attach and experiment with different types of scopes. Most Russian/Belarus AK scopes come with the scope permanently attached to the mount, so this is a better option if that is your intent.

Keith

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top