JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey don"t shoot a Pheonix out of the saddle entirely. It hails from Chino CA USA and not some place in the 3rd world. I've had one for 10 years and it was a great value back then as it is today. The warranty claims a life time but I've never had to use it. If you can get past the funky safety design and shoot quality clean ammo you will be impressed with the value. Shoot dirty ammo and you will realize how scary this gun can get -just keep it clean and you will be surprised. I've tossed it in a padded case under my RV seat for years with CCI or Federal Eagle Ammo. It's rapid fire bark is loud enough to get attention and respect.

well I never shoot dirty ammo, so your saying winchester, federal and basically all the over the counter stuff at walmart it will be good as long as just clean it, I wandered why i hear but bad about phoenix and they still in business

Yes I'd steer clear of the lead only bullets like Peters and others similar even if it is wax covered. Just too much lead fouling I think for these little Phoenix arms. Most any hi velocity ammo with a copper or brass color surfaced slug should be fine.

I think if you stick with any of the better known manufacturers, you'll do fine.
My only advice is that 22's, in general, tend to be rather small and light, so opt for one of the longer barrel lengths you can get with that model.
I remember my dad's Ruger Mk.1. It had a 4" barrel and the balance felt very neutral. This actually made it a bit hard to aim.
Some heft out front would make for an easier pointer.

Dean

Hey appreciate all the Input, really I do.

I have lots of toys and been shooting since I was 7 yrs old am 50sh now, but had a 22 pistol. I just want something small to take care of critters without freaking out all of the neighbors, or to take to the mountains for when I come across one the strays someone dropped off fromt he city. I carry my .40 when in the mountains but it is a little load and waste of ammo for someones unwanted nuisance pets that chasing wildlife and dirupting the natural balance of things, plus most pets die from starvation out there shortly anyways.

Hey appreciate all the Input, really I do.

I have lots of toys and been shooting since I was 7 yrs old am 50sh now, but had a 22 pistol. I just want something small to take care of critters without freaking out all of the neighbors, or to take to the mountains for when I come across one the strays someone dropped off fromt he city. I carry my .40 when in the mountains but it is a little load and waste of ammo for someones unwanted nuisance pets that chasing wildlife and dirupting the natural balance of things, plus most pets die from starvation out there shortly anyways.
Your description sounds like an S&W model 34 "kit gun".

17b4801bd110dbdd3c17ec21620840a5.jpg

Dean

Their are several High Standard 22's that work fine, last long time...some are pricey, but then some are not...keep a lookout for one, come as revolvers and semi's...

This is advice for especially any better than average, and even the cheap, 22 semi-auto's. Copper coated or copper plated bullets only...the unplated bullets with wax, WILL gum up a semi-auto handgun..that is a guarantee. How long you get to shoot the unplated bullets depends on how tight the tolorances are in the handgun.

With my High Standard Trophy and the Olympic...2 to 3 shots max, and they will no longer cycle with teh wax coated lead bullets. Good copper plated bullets, any brand..they will cycle hundreds of rounds without a misfire (unless it is a problem cartridge, as in Remington bulk pack)

I just did this last month, ended with a buckmark and couldn't be happier. The Ruger is a pain to break down but a nice piece. I say buckmark x10, mine is comfortable and exceedingly accurate.

Their are several High Standard 22's that work fine, last long time...some are pricey, but then some are not...keep a lookout for one, come as revolvers and semi's...

This is advice for especially any better than average, and even the cheap, 22 semi-auto's. Copper coated or copper plated bullets only...the unplated bullets with wax, WILL gum up a semi-auto handgun..that is a guarantee. How long you get to shoot the unplated bullets depends on how tight the tolorances are in the handgun.

With my High Standard Trophy and the Olympic...2 to 3 shots max, and they will no longer cycle with teh wax coated lead bullets. Good copper plated bullets, any brand..they will cycle hundreds of rounds without a misfire (unless it is a problem cartridge, as in Remington bulk pack)

That's odd. My S&W can shoot Blaser all day long without jamming the action up. It actually seems to lube it nicely if the gun has been sitting for a few weeks. It does lead the barrel pretty badly though. I have seen other guns not cycle waxed bullets well, but they would run fine without cleaning when switched to a more reliable brand. I figured it was the lower velocity and inconsistency of the cheap ammo. Just a guess though. And this is just my observation, not trying to call you out or anything.

I just did this last month, ended with a buckmark and couldn't be happier. The Ruger is a pain to break down but a nice piece. I say buckmark x10, mine is comfortable and exceedingly accurate.

Just don't take the grips off if you don't have to.That's where all the spring lay and fall from.
I mean after a couple times ,you'll get OK putting it back together.:s0155:

Check gunbroker for some lower priced Beretta NEOS U-22's. There is a recall on some of them that Beretta fixes for free (they even cover shipping) I found one that needed the recall, got it for a very low bid and by the time I paid shipping, WA taxes and FFL fee It was in my hands for about $182 (they normally sell new for around $260 +). Do a google search for "NEOS U22 recall" so you'll know what to look for and what to do (for the recall) when it shows up.

Ruger just added an ultralight aluminum bull barrel version of thier popular 22-45 22LR family.
I handled one at Outdoor Emporium (aka sportco). Very nice feel to it and yes it's darn lightweight! Threaded 12/28 barrel for silencer. Guessing 6" length? Open sights included but also has pre tapped barrel mounts for optics. includes 2 magazines and a nice embroidered case. All in all good looking package. Might buy one myself for plinking.
Ruger22-45Lite.jpg

Ruger22-45Lite.jpg

I am fond of the Ruger MK II or III's. Do not really like their 22-45 line. I have an old MK II 6" field grade. You cannot destroy. It will fire everytime & eat every kind of ammo available. I have never found something that it does not like. I also have a MK III Hunter with dot scope. It is a bit more picky when it comes to ammo. Remington shoots fine, but I need to clean the bolt face about every 50 round. Everything else I can go 200 or a few more. I think it is the case lube that remington uses.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top