JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A decade ago I bought my first Tikka in .223 Rem. Not my first Tikka, mind you. She's a T3 Lite stainless with a 1-10" twist. Screaming accurate with just about anything 64 grains and under. My son named her Blue Lightning. I'm more interested in shooting the heavies these days, primarily 75 gr ELDM, which she doesn't stabilize well.

Instead of buying a new Tikka in 1-8", I'm thinking about buying a new barrel and paying a gunsmith to make the swap. Has anyone done this? Looking for advice.

P

If you have a good shooting rifle, why mess with it? Just go buy another rifle in the appropriate twist rate for the bullets you want to shoot, you will probably save money, and definitely time. $600+ for a good barrel blank and another $500 for the gunsmith bill, seems like $1100 is a great start towards a new rifle.

A decade ago I bought my first Tikka in .223 Rem. Not my first Tikka, mind you. She's a T3 Lite stainless with a 1-10" twist. Screaming accurate with just about anything 64 grains and under. My son named her Blue Lightning. I'm more interested in shooting the heavies these days, primarily 75 gr ELDM, which she doesn't stabilize well.

Instead of buying a new Tikka in 1-8", I'm thinking about buying a new barrel and paying a gunsmith to make the swap. Has anyone done this? Looking for advice.

P
Personally I would call @Velzey and get his thoughts and price the work you want done.
But I have to agree with the other two posters. It's probably more cost effective to buy another rifle, selling the one you have if you want to offset costs.

If you are set on replacing the barrel I would look at the tikka prefits from Oregon mountain rifles. It is a pretty simple swap that you would be able to do yourself or you can send it into them for 150 bucks. It will be a far better barrel than the one that comes with the rifle, but it is only marginally cheaper than buying another rifle altogether.

I know I could sell Blue Lightning, but she was my second Tikka and I've probably shot her more than any other rifle, ever. I'm letting emotion get in the way.

P

Probably a wash or cheaper to buy a new rifle if you not looking for a custom chamber in 223.

Cheaper options is try pushing the eldm's harder to increase spin rate, go to a different bullet or change to the AR platform and get a good quality service rifle barrel in 6.5 to 7.5 twist.

I know I could sell Blue Lightning, but she was my second Tikka and I've probably shot her more than any other rifle, ever. I'm letting emotion get in the way.

P
Then get it rebarreled.
It will be more expensive and takes time waiting but its far better than having a favorite sit in the safe doing nothing. With a new barrel in the new twist you will shoot it far more than a different rifle. The new barrel you can select and will be higher quality than a factory bbl.
Its what I did...

I loathe that rifle manufacturers dont spin ALL barrels to accept modern bullets. You can still shoot the old standby loads that many have no doubt shot for years and know nothing about barrel twist but you pick up a whole new crowd of shooters that want high BC.

Bought a tikka 22-250 this year with an 8 twist. It shoots 50, 55, 62, 69, 75, and 77 grainers with boring consistency. I feel like I'm cheating with 75 eldm though.

Probably a wash or cheaper to buy a new rifle if you not looking for a custom chamber in 223.

Cheaper options is try pushing the eldm's harder to increase spin rate, go to a different bullet or change to the AR platform and get a good quality service rifle barrel in 6.5 to 7.5 twist.
Pepe,
Read the original post. She's screaming accurate with just about anything 64 gr and under.

Neo is right, 1-10" isn't an option for the bullet I want.

If I had a rifle fondly named "Blue Lightning" I think I would just leave it unmolested and buy another rifle. You would probably do OK financially taking that route as well.

If I had a rifle fondly named "Blue Lightning" I think I would just leave it unmolested and buy another rifle. You would probably do OK financially taking that route as well.
You're right, anyone who counsels buying a new rifle is always right, BUT…

If anything, I'm trying to go the other way on my rifle inventory. Heresy, I know, but after losing my dad 4 years ago I realized how little I really need. If I have rifles that I haven't fired in years, why keep them? There's some guy out there who would shoot the heck out of my safe queens.

And before you say shoot more, I already do, just with different loads.

P

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top