JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which one is the best

• Total voters
I'm partial to one of these companies...

21D34224-7A57-46E3-B8CF-2837F9F45BD0.jpeg

While it's not 1911, I'll buy one of theirs again in a heartbeat. Love the finish on their stainless.

Ruger.

Last Edited:
I've had a Sprinfield RO and now have a Ruger. The Ruger shoots great with no issues. Even bought a matching one. Found another one "like new" for 560. Might add it to the collection also. Im not too picky but dont think you can go wrong with your choices.

I think the Rugers are a better value for sure, and it comes in 10mm. The S&W E series is just sexy but are $1k. I'm not a fan of Colts. Sure they have the name and the history, but they cant get a straight and consistent roll mark on their slide to save their bubblegum. They also use a plastic MSH on their delta's and that bugs me too.

OP, not to make your life more miserable, here's my list:

Sig makes a series of damn fine 1911 models (just saying);

my own Kimber Target is going on 24 years old and remains my most accurate (with zero malfunctions, breakdowns or complaints); pretending it's been through "1000/rds/year" is considerably lowball estimate;

Dan Wesson was a little spendy but the most accurate Commander length I've ever had;

a Colt Gold Cup performed very well over nearly 40 years for me;

Sorry I couldn't use your short form to help you choose;
Good luck.

My buddy's SA 'range operator' performs very well;

As long the threads begun to deviate, I'll say I'm having a hard time not looking at and liking Armscors Rock Island 1911 XT22 (22 magnum)
Albeit I'm having trouble now deciding which of the many get go out to play at any one time, I'm thinking one more in the line up couldn't hurt.:)

OP, not to make your life more miserable, here's my list:

Sig makes a series of damn fine 1911 models (just saying);

my own Kimber Target is going on 24 years old and remains my most accurate (with zero malfunctions, breakdowns or complaints); pretending it's been through "1000/rds/year" is considerably lowball estimate;

Dan Wesson was a little spendy but the most accurate Commander length I've ever had;

a Colt Gold Cup performed very well over nearly 40 years for me;

Sorry I couldn't use your short form to help you choose;
Good luck.

My buddy's SA 'range operator' performs very well;
I know I should of put actual models in the list but I was just trying to figure out which brand generally liked more for 1911

Those three manufacturers listed in the OP survey all make good guns. With the mind-boggling availability of factory models/features and custom aftermarket mods, it's not unlike asking Dodge, Ford, Chevy. Or Ginger vs. Mary Ann. In which case the obvious answer is both!

Last Edited:
I have a few Kimbers (compact stainless, classic stainless) that were range guns and a compact aluminum stainless as a gift for my dad i picked up about 20 years ago in bakersfield. I know i put a good 10 -15 thousand down the compact stainless and have never had any issues. I also got a springfield 1911 A-1 "loaded" at that same time and put probably 5 thousand rounds through it, in the first thousand i had a few issues but nothing big and it smoothed out just fine.

my advice would be to see if you can borrow someones and see what one shoots better for you and then get that one.

I have a few Kimbers (compact stainless, classic stainless) that were range guns and a compact aluminum stainless as a gift for my dad i picked up about 20 years ago in bakersfield. I know i put a good 10 -15 thousand down the compact stainless and have never had any issues. I also got a springfield 1911 A-1 "loaded" at that same time and put probably 5 thousand rounds through it, in the first thousand i had a few issues but nothing big and it smoothed out just fine.

my advice would be to see if you can borrow someones and see what one shoots better for you and then get that one.
Going to jump in for a second then back on topic BAKERSFIELD hmmm I see you have a welding truck on your profile picture I lived and worked in the texico oil fields in Bakersfield in the late 80s around 88 89

yep i was there, after we moved from Montana my dad opened a shop in the getty lease in the late 70's. By the late 80's we had moved to tehachapi to service the windparks and then moved to the early solar plants. If you have to live in california, kern county is one of the best pro gun places to do so.

Anyway back on topic.

yep i was there, after we moved from Montana my dad opened a shop in the getty lease in the late 70's. By the late 80's we had moved to tehachapi to service the windparks and then moved to the early solar plants. If you have to live in california, kern county is one of the best pro gun places to do so.

Anyway back on topic.
Yep I was pipe insulation so I worked at the solar plant also out there CALIFORNIA city okay back to the 1911 I already put my two cents in for the Kimber more money but I like mine

There's always that one Colt guy... :D

But if you don't mind the extra $$, definitely Colt. Otherwise, probably Springfield or Ruger.

I've got 'em or had'em all. One beautiful Colt remains in the safe, other Colt's, the Kimber and Springfields are gone, and the Rugers get used. And performance-wise THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads